The Coalition.......Superb.

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Re: The Coalition.......Superb.

Post by tigerburnie »

I'm compiling a list,come the revolution brother there may be people up against the wall(think I will start the list at "M") :smt066
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
madoqua
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by madoqua »

Odd little 'early season errors' aside, I really do think that, for the first time in years, we have some direction.

The allowances and constraints of a coalition are IMO what we have been waiting for.

Labour are destroyed.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

tigerburnie wrote:I'm compiling a list,come the revolution brother there may be people up against the wall(think I will start the list at "M") :smt066
What do you have against the Millibrand brothers?

Both have impeccable Labour Party credentials.

Oxbridge. Never done a days honest work in the lives. Represent northern constiuencies.

Maybe you should start your list with B. :smt003

Ed Balls. Similar qualifications!!
Still keeping the faith!
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Old Hob wrote:This controversial topic seems to lack a certain amount of.... controversy? Personally , I think the coalition, the ConDem'd, is appalling. Cameroony has no grasp of history (viz his comments about us being junior partners in 1940 to the US) but worse he has no understanding of how to escape a recession. Keynes worked it out as did Roosevelt and others: MORE public employees and spending to stimulate growth. He is my MP actually, and I think a nice bloke but...
I hate to raise an alternative viewpoint :smt002 but in the opinion of many economists, MacDonald’s National Government’s measures, including drastic cuts to Government spending, spared Britain the worst of the depression.

Cameron may not be Brain of Britain but I believe he is capable of recognising and taking good economic advice, which is more than could be said for Brown.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

h's dad wrote:taking good economic advice, which is more than could be said for Brown.
Brown? When he could have averted the whole recent economic fiasco by allowing Barclays to acquire Lehman Brothers at 2c on the dollar, allowed Paulson to follow his stupid and disasterous alternative route. And the rest was history.
Still keeping the faith!
Purebob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Purebob »

Interesting topic.

Two reasons why I approve of this coalition :

1) We were spared Cameron / Osborne's vile public-school smug, gloating faces in victory interviews. They couldn't do the usual :" The people of this country love us ! " speech even if they squeaked through by a hairsbreadth.

Collaboration has forced humility from the Tories and realism from the Libdems. A good thing IMO !

2) Large majorities traditionally reduces the level of diligence and scrutiny that needs to be applied to a policy before it is foisted upon a public who blink in disbelief at the sometimes risible party-ideological programs they are handed.

The Cons and LDs do seem to be offering something of a reality check to each other before approving the others proposals. And I do approve of their joint principles of reducing the size of government.

That said, I think this marriage of convenience will last less than a year before the backbenchers of both parties rebel and tire of being hamstring by their coalition partners. MPs didn't join one party to find themselves implementing and defending those of ideologically dissimilar parties.

If the coalition services that it may be a good thing. Large majority governments that serve multiple terms ALL seem to become bloated and self-serving.