2010 / 11 Fixture List

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiger Tom

Re: 2010 / 11 Fixture List

Post by Tiger Tom »

kingol22 wrote:expecting 2 bonus points from gloucester and newcastle is not really realistic also i dont think a bonus point against leeds will be easy i expect them to be the dark horse next year and really push the top 6 for hc places.
I've amended my predictions slightly but sorry Kingol, cannot see much challenge from Gloucs or Newcastle this season. Both have lost several international stars and replaced them with solid journeyman and unproven youngsters. My predictions are not set in stone, just targets that are realistically achievable with a margin for error and comparable to results achieved in recent years.

Gloucester have lost several experienced international forwards including Delve, Bortolami, Eustace and Somerville and replaced them with experienced former Tigers Brett Deacon and Jim Hamilton alongside England youth international Matthew Cox (their only 3 confirmed signings). The Shed are even less optimstic than last year!

Newcastle have lost a dozen players including talismanic skipper Carl Hayman and Mark Sorensen as well as flying wing Tom Biggs to Bath. Who's come in to fill their boots? A dozen journeymen, mostly from Championship and only one international in Scottish back-rower Ali Hogg. They've decent half-backs in Young and Gopperth but doubt the pack (bar maybe Golding) will pull up many trees and provide enough ball to threaten opposition defences. Only Leeds and relegated Worcester scored fewer points last season. Off the park, they have a new inexperienced coaching staff, dwindling funds and rumours abound over their long-term viability as a club. Their plans of ground expansion to meet RFU demands that top-flight stadia should have a 15,000 capacity have been opposed by local government and as performances drop so do their attendances, especially with the renaissance of Newcastle Utd in an area dominated by the round ball.

I fear a chasm is slowly developing between the top 4-6 clubs (Tigers, Saints, Sarries, Bath, Wasps, Irish) in regular contention for Europe and the rest.
Can anyone see another side REALLY breaking into the top 4 this season?

I also worry about over-exposure on TV with over half the games being televised live in a sport that is has been growing attendances steadily. The best way to grow the sport is by encouraging paying spectators to go to the games - televised sport in front of empty stadia is not a good advert for rugby and I fear clubs must price tickets competitively and schedule sensitively to attract the best support possible.
tigerben
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by tigerben »

Tiger Tom wrote: Newcastle have lost a dozen players including talismanic skipper Carl Hayman and Mark Sorensen as well as flying wing Tom Biggs to Bath. Who's come in to fill their boots? A dozen journeymen, mostly from Championship and only one international in Scottish back-rower Ali Hogg. They've decent half-backs in Young and Gopperth but doubt the pack (bar maybe Golding) will pull up many trees and provide enough ball to threaten opposition defences. Only Leeds and relegated Worcester scored fewer points last season.
With only Leeds and Worcester scoring less than Newcastle it's really quite shocking that Gopperth was the leading points scorer in the prem last season with 219 (3 ahead of Flood who admittedly was injured for the first few months of the season).
Leicester Football Club.
First Back to Back European Champions.
First Club to win an Away Guiness Premiership Play-off Semi-Final.
British by Birth - Welsh by the Grace of God
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

From Northampton Forum:

Our commitment to being a 3pm on a Saturday afternoon, wherever possible, remains constant. It has been our preferred kick off time for many, many years and this will not change.

However, as has already been pointed out on this thread, there are two TV deals to accommodate this coming season. ESPN and Sky are choosing this week the games they wish to televise, at which point the confirmed kick off times will be announced.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Tiger Tom

Post by Tiger Tom »

Spot on tigerben. 219 of their 319pts came from Gopperth's boot, 69% of their total points!! In context, Floody scored 34% of our points (although he did miss a few games through injuries and international duty). They'll struggle for sure, although I hear they've nabbed some of the Scottish backroom staff to bolster their coaching and preparation.
zee

Post by zee »

Sky TV have moved LCFC v Forest to Monday 29th November so there is no longer a clash here.

Sat 27th November
Tigers v Falcons
LCFC v Forest
Tigerinshandyland

Post by Tigerinshandyland »

Does anyone know when the european fixtures get finalised? I fancy a trip down to Perpignan...
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Tigerinshandyland wrote:Does anyone know when the european fixtures get finalised? I fancy a trip down to Perpignan...
I think, IIRC, that it was mid-late July last year that we found out home/away and which teams on which weekend, with fine tuning to the actual days/times later (somebody, somewhere on this forum has mentioned this earlier in another thread but I can't find it to reference it) so should hopefully be quite soon, although I stand to be corrected, shot down in flames etc :smt002

I too fancy a trip to Perpignan, would be a good road-trip across Europe if I can manage it.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
GT1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GT1 »

No shooting down on here any more WT thank goodness. Our group are looking forward to going to Perpignan staying in Spain with maybe a trip to Barcelona included.Lets hope!!! :smt026