Manu to be deported?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Post Reply
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User
Posts: 14868
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:23 pm
Location: Essex

Re: Manu to be deported?

Post by Bill W (2) » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:41 pm

Old Hob wrote:"The teenager came to the UK with his family on a six-month holiday visa about six years ago, and stayed on without permission."
.
Totally disengenious comment. Passports for juveniles are only valid for 5 years therefore the passport with the six month visa in will have expired (as well as the visa).
Still keeping the faith!

Old Hob
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2218
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:15 pm

Re: Manu to be deported?

Post by Old Hob » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:53 pm

Bill W (2) wrote:
Old Hob wrote:"The teenager came to the UK with his family on a six-month holiday visa about six years ago, and stayed on without permission."
.
Totally disengenious comment. Passports for juveniles are only valid for 5 years therefore the passport with the six month visa in will have expired (as well as the visa).
And your point is?
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina

TigerCam
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3623
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:41 pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: Manu to be deported?

Post by TigerCam » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:34 pm

Bill W (2) wrote:
Old Hob wrote:"The teenager came to the UK with his family on a six-month holiday visa about six years ago, and stayed on without permission."
.
Totally disengenious comment. Passports for juveniles are only valid for 5 years therefore the passport with the six month visa in will have expired (as well as the visa).
I don't believe he has his own passport as He came into the UK on his parents passport? Surely the Tigers would have known about this? If not then they need a very big kick in the @rse. If they lose this guy then WR will be a poorer place to watch rugby. Hopefully, the immigration guys will see it for what it really is and allow Manu to stay?

Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User
Posts: 14868
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:23 pm
Location: Essex

Re: Manu to be deported?

Post by Bill W (2) » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:58 pm

Old Hob wrote: And your point is?
Well I have actually made it before.

1. Regardless of Manu's current visa status he has to apply for a work permit visa from the Pacific Islands. This is clearly stated on the UK Border and Immigration Control Website and in all their documents;

2. If he is technically an illegal immigrant because his visa has expired then his passport will be endorsed when he leaves UK indicating that he cannot be readmitted until he obtains a new visa; this will not affect his application for a new visa;

The suggestion that "he" had a six month holiday visa, either on his own passport (which would now have expired) or on his parents passport (which would no longer be valid for him since he is over 18) is therefore irrelevent and in any case would have been known to him and Tigers and his and their solicitors.

Trying to make the Home Office the "bad guys" in this sorry saga of incompetence is disengenious.
Still keeping the faith!

Old Hob
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2218
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:15 pm

Re: Manu to be deported?

Post by Old Hob » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:08 am

Bill W (2) wrote: Trying to make the Home Office the "bad guys" in this sorry saga of incompetence is disengenious.
I wasn't trying to make the HO the bad guys. I was pointing out that lots of people (including UK B&I service) failed to ask questions. It may just have been one of those;"I'll do it next week" things but no-one (club, the family, the lad himself or gov't) foresaw the inevitable.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina

voice of the crumbie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1676
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:25 pm
Location: coalville

Re: Manu to be deported?

Post by voice of the crumbie » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:01 pm

I find it hard to believe that Tigers Management are ignorant of the relatively straightforward procedures quoted by Bill W and others. If they are that would be a staggering level of incompetence especially given the Vunibaka debacle of a few seasons ago. This, and the fact that the club have engaged expensive legal counsel, lead me to speculate that we may not be in possession of all the facts and that there may be more complex elements in play than in a run of the mill work permit / visa application.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!

MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1631
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 2:14 pm
Location: Oundle

Re: Manu to be deported?

Post by MurphysLaw » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:04 pm

According to this further report in the Merc, the UK Border Agency are willing to meet to discuss the situation........http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/n ... ticle.html

Fingers crossed that an exceptional case can be made, and a solution can be found.

roysboys
New Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:09 pm

Re: Manu to be deported?

Post by roysboys » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:15 pm

is this what's known as "coming in from the side instead through the gate"? :smt002

fleabane
Super User
Super User
Posts: 5044
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:26 pm
Location: Occitanie

Re: Manu to be deported?

Post by fleabane » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:27 pm

I think Gate might have something to say about that, roysboys!!!

Comments in paper show a very ambiguous attitude to immigration, mostly from a complete misunderstanding of the difference between migrant workers, illegal immigrants, and people who have legally migrated here and who consider this to be their home. This confusion being perpetuated by some of the tabloid and broadsheet press, ( Berlinner size papers generally ok!), and certain political parties and their followers.

As for Manu, a typical case, but one which the UKBA seem to want to resolve.

What a difference he makes to our backline :smt003
Valhalla I am coming!

1966
Top Cat
Top Cat
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:14 pm

Re: Manu to be deported?

Post by 1966 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:08 pm

It seems strange to me that visa issues have caused problems for Manu when his many brothers seem to have been ok.

Why is his case different?

fleabane
Super User
Super User
Posts: 5044
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:26 pm
Location: Occitanie

Re: Manu to be deported?

Post by fleabane » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:17 pm

Whether Manu's lapsed visa is the problem or not, it appears that the application process has been approached differently.

However, the fact that his brothers have been given visas in the past may well help his argument that he too should get one.
Valhalla I am coming!

Mr Bean
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 385
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:27 am
Location: Bedford

Re: Manu to be deported?

Post by Mr Bean » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:26 pm

1966 wrote:It seems strange to me that visa issues have caused problems for Manu when his many brothers seem to have been ok.

Why is his case different?
That was a time under a labour government

kingol22
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3197
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 3:54 pm

Re: Manu to be deported?

Post by kingol22 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:44 pm

1966 wrote:It seems strange to me that visa issues have caused problems for Manu when his many brothers seem to have been ok.

Why is his case different?
Might have something to do with them playing for samoa as it makes it easier to get a visa.

1966
Top Cat
Top Cat
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:14 pm

Re: Manu to be deported?

Post by 1966 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:20 pm

So it would be easier to get a visa if he wanted to play for Samoa as opposed to England.

That makes sense.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ashurstwoodtiger, DeadlyDunc, Google [Bot] and 2 guests