Moaning about the play-offs!!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigers1990
Tiger Cub

Moaning about the play-offs!!

Post by tigers1990 »

I can see why some people do not like the play off system to see who will be crowned champions. Im not too bothered about it,there is not much we can do so lets just enjoy it. But fans that say have travelled to all parts of the country home and away to watch the tigers play and then come the end of the season moan every year about the amount of money they have spent and time they have put in to supporting tigers and dont like the play off system and moan on and on. Well they know what they are getting themselves into at the start of the season its not like the premiership suddenly change half way through the season and say lets have a play off system. And anyway who doesnt enjoy a day out at twickenham???? :smt003
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Re: Moaning about the play-offs!!

Post by Old Hob »

tigers1990 wrote:I can see why some people do not like the play off system to see who will be crowned champions. Im not too bothered about it,there is not much we can do so lets just enjoy it. But fans that say have travelled to all parts of the country home and away to watch the tigers play and then come the end of the season moan every year about the amount of money they have spent and time they have put in to supporting tigers and dont like the play off system and moan on and on. Well they know what they are getting themselves into at the start of the season its not like the premiership suddenly change half way through the season and say lets have a play off system. And anyway who doesnt enjoy a day out at twickenham???? :smt003
Me: I don't enjoy a day out at Twickenham. It's a stadium that is soulless. Up high it looks like subbutteo; down low the game is impossible to follow and as jgriffin says not all of us are so flush with money that we can afford to do it. Following Tigers costs me 440 for a season ticket + 11 x £40 for an away ticket + 22 x £50 travel +++. I will be going to Twickenham but only because this year I have some extra cash. Next year, who knows?
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

We are,as you say,stuck with the playoffs,that doesn't mean we have to like them.
I don't mind this knockout at the end of the season,but it does not replace the coming top of the table.Said it before and nothing will change my mind,top of the table is "league champions",win the playoffs you are "playoff champions" and yes I did think this when we won and didn't finish top of the league.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Daveyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Daveyboy »

Said it before and nothing will change my mind,top of the table is "league champions"

But that isn't amongst the rules of the competition.

If Cockers and the coaching team have had to embrace the concept of the play-offs, I can't see why the supporters can't.

PS If (when?) Tigers win next week, surely even the Luddites will hail Tigers' achievement? :smt002
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
Terrace_Tiger

Post by Terrace_Tiger »

I enjoy the playoff format personally but i hate the additional expense and won't be going for a day out at Twickers as a result... I pay enough for my ST plus additional extra's such as Munster, South Africa & The Barf Semi Final - there's only so much in the kitty for Rugby and my limit was reached last weekend, i'd love to attend the game, have my customary Pie 'n Mash plus a few scoops of the good stuff but just can't stretch to it, looks like i'll be finding a Bar - does anyone know if WR will be open for those of us who can't go but who wish to enjoy the game with likeminded people?
Purebob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Purebob »

The playoffs is one of the cheapest ways to experience a competitive match at Twickenham IME. OK my tickets are rubbish, way up top, but my family and two great mates will all pile in my car and rattle off to Twickenham to see our beloved Tigers in a genuinely meaningful contest for silverware for less than twenty quid a head.

Considering England tickets ( for competitive matches) are rarer than rocking horse poop AND prices are horrendous ( £85 for good viewing seats anyone?) , the GP playoff final is not a bad way to experience a day out at HQ.

Yes the place will be part-filled with folks who may not be hard core rugby fans enjoying one of the more accessible major sporting events ( not necessarily a terrible thing) but it will also have a load of Tigers and Sarries fans watching their teams give it their all for silverware.

HQ is not NEARLY as good a place to watch rugby as Welford Road or many of the other purpose-built rugby grounds but it is an iconic place IMO.

All the rugby fans of all teams that I know personally all recognize that finishing top is STILL "league champs" albeit without silverware, but hey I've even trawled round the country watching the a league games this year, so I'm hardly likely to consider the GP cup invalid am I ? :D

COME ON YOU TIGERS !
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Shame they've scheduled the game to suite Sky rather than the attending fans.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Never mind the finals, this silly league is a bit nouveaux for me. What happened to the good old days when clubs arranged their own fixtures.

And this new fangled fifteen a side rubbish for jessies. Now when it was twenty a side with fifteen forwards – now that was a man’s game.

Progress – bah humbug.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

h's dad wrote:Never mind the finals, this silly league is a bit nouveaux for me. What happened to the good old days when clubs arranged their own fixtures.

And this new fangled fifteen a side rubbish for jessies. Now when it was twenty a side with fifteen forwards – now that was a man’s game.

Progress – bah humbug.
Them southern softies have apparently banned shin kicking,or hacking as it used to be called,now when I were a lad we stood on a big pile of ash behind the goal posts in all weathers,not sat in a posh liance and lestor stand wiv rugs and hot drinks...............
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
ajs37
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by ajs37 »

I'm not a fan of the play offs - but we will be going to Twickenham this time - under duress from my son - he is driving and paying for the parking!

I hate Twickenham - I hate where it is, I hate the drive there, I hate the police telling me that I can't turn right to park next to the Stoop, I hate the price for car parking, I hate the useless public transport system that means I have to drive there, I hate the price of tickets for the :censored: seats I get!
Most of all - I hate the fact that every b***dy time I have been to watch Tigers there, they lose! AAAARRGGGHHH!

Still - perhaps things will be different this Saturday? :smt039
(rant over)
Cheers
Andy
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Spectator sport is normally arranged for the spectacle, and not the fairness.

We are well aware that the horse that somehow picks its way around Aintree and manages to cross the line ahead of the remaining knackered horses, may not be the best steeplechaser that year, but millions of people love the random spectacle of it all.

And only very occassionally is the winner of that most glamorous tournement, the FA Cup, the best team of the season, which is why we love it. Forest 2 Tooting & Mitcham 2 is the sort of scoreline that makes the competition what it is.

So we are stuck with the spectacular TV play-offs, with its glittering ending and sudden-death drama.

It ain't fair, but let's face it, it wasn't ever designed to be fair.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

tigerburnie wrote:Said it before and nothing will change my mind,top of the table is "league champions",win the playoffs you are "playoff champions"
That seems a little silly. You might not like the playoffs, but you are effectively saying that 'black is white, and nothing will change my mind'.

The GP does not produce two champions. To claim that it does is the stuff of fantasy.
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

jgriffin wrote:The managers might as well play top trumps as an alternative to matches.
Huh? That makes absolutely no sense to me, and if taken seriously is hugely disrespectful to the effort put in by both team and coaches.