Italian contingent homeward bound

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Chesterfield Chris
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Italian contingent homeward bound

Post by Chesterfield Chris »

Why would Castro want to play in the Magners League rather than the Premiership?? :smt017
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Chesterfield Chris wrote:Why would Castro want to play in the Magners League rather than the Premiership?? :smt017
Feels that he needs to rest more often?

:smt017
Still keeping the faith!
Sam W
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Sam W »

I'm not sure we need to be too worried about Castro leaving- they have a good front row lined up as it is, without having to worry about paying for Castro to head over as well!
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

Scuba Steve wrote:Just hope they dont go down the path of saying "you have to be playing in or for an Italian team to get into the national side'' as to lure the big names back :smt018

Like i said, lets hope they dont go down this path
Tigers Forever
jockstrap
Tiger Cub

Post by jockstrap »

Chesterfield Chris wrote:Why would Castro want to play in the Magners League rather than the Premiership?? :smt017

Because for a player it's the jackpot

- Better Quality Rugby
- Better Players
- Better Recovery Time
- Guranteed Heineken Cup Action(if you're Scottish or Italian)
- No relegation

Also he'll get a bonus from the FIR if joins one of the teams.
Hell I'd do it.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

"Because for a player it's the jackpot

- Better Quality Rugby
- Better Players
- Better Recovery Time
- Guranteed Heineken Cup Action(if you're Scottish or Italian)
- No relegation

Also he'll get a bonus from the FIR if joins one of the teams.
Hell I'd do it."

Better quality rugby? Have you seen some of the dire stuff they play, a good chunk of it on wet horrible Friday nights in Wales (the one away game to Sale is bad enough)! Despite the Magners League teams not having a uniform wage cap the number of star players isn't that great, Ospreys aside. Even then its only the well kept Irish provinces of Munster and Leinster that look like they have any chance of winning the HEC. Surely if he wanted to play with more 'stars', enjoy better rugby (mainly due to conditions) and earn more a move to France would be the best option.

Two other points, 1) Any team with the cash and reputation to steal Castro away from Tigers would be in the HEC year in year out and 2) relegation does not punish weak unefficient teams leaving them to languish in enviroments where there is little improvement or growth. Compare the world of good relegation has done Saints and Leeds compared to the continual cycle of failure at Connacht.
jockstrap
Tiger Cub

Post by jockstrap »

sam16111986 wrote:
quality rugby? Have you seen some of the dire stuff they play, a good chunk of it on wet horrible Friday nights in Wales (the one away game to Sale is bad enough)! Despite the Magners League teams not having a uniform wage cap the number of star players isn't that great, Ospreys aside. Even then its only the well kept Irish provinces of Munster and Leinster that look like they have any chance of winning the HEC. Surely if he wanted to play with more 'stars', enjoy better rugby (mainly due to conditions) and earn more a move to France would be the best option.

Two other points, 1) Any team with the cash and reputation to steal Castro away from Tigers would be in the HEC year in year out and 2) relegation does not punish weak unefficient teams leaving them to languish in enviroments where there is little improvement or growth. Compare the world of good relegation has done Saints and Leeds compared to the continual cycle of failure at Connacht.
I follow both and honestly the GP is a snorefest compared to the Magners and this is understandable because of relegation, teams throw the ball around a lot more when they have nothing to fear.

I say better quality because out of the 20 games played between the leagues the GP have only won 7 and 3 Magners teams qualified for the Quaterfinals of the HC to the GP's 1.

I would say there are FAR more star players in the Magners, in fact i believe if a Magners 15 played a GP 15 the Magners team would be firm favourites.

I think the Super 14 has proven that relegation is unnecessary.
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

a fully fit and in form tigers squad would destroy most magners teams with the exception of munster and leinster. And the gp a snorefest! have you not watched the last few rounds?
LeinsterCormac
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by LeinsterCormac »

Sam W wrote:http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,2588 ... 92,00.html

With the inclusion of an Italian "super-team" in the Magners League, the return of Italian players back home can only help Italy in the long run- hopefully with a little more exposure in Italy and a better youth system, this will see the ball running for Italy's strength on the international scene; and this can only be a good thing for them and the competitiveness of the 6 nations.
Good on 'em!
There will be two Italian "super-teams" in the ML, not just one. Treviso and Aironi (mostly Calvisano) and they will both compete in the HEC.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

I thought Aironi was a renamed Viadana? Or are they filling it with a lot of Calvisano players? Or have I got it wrong?
Sam W
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Sam W »

LeinsterCormac wrote:
There will be two Italian "super-teams" in the ML, not just one. Treviso and Aironi (mostly Calvisano) and they will both compete in the HEC.
I thought they were merging to teams together! My bad :smt001
LeinsterCormac
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by LeinsterCormac »

Darc Tiger wrote:I thought Aironi was a renamed Viadana? Or are they filling it with a lot of Calvisano players? Or have I got it wrong?
You're correct, my mistake, although there are a number of clubs involved in that merger.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Castro has growing business interests in the County. He is on record as saying he and his restaurant partners are planning to open a 2nd branch of Timo in Market Harborough. Presumably that would be an additonal (non-rugby) factor in any decision to move to Italy.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
LeinsterCormac
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by LeinsterCormac »

jgriffin wrote:GP a snorefest compared to the Magners - talking out of an old jockstrap matey. I watch both and the Magners has some great games, as does the GP - but the overall standard in the ML is quite a bit lower at the bottom end. As for the players, well you're having a larf of course.
Given the Lions selection in 2009 I don't think it's that much of a stretch to say the ML has better players than the GP. As for the overall standard of the leagues, that's a different argument as the GP teams generally take their league more seriously, quite probably a reflection on when the two leagues came into being vis-a-vis the Heineken Cup.