Johne Murphy confirmed for Munster

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rizzo

Re: Johne Murphy confirmed for Munster

Post by Rizzo »

I had an idea that Johne was a Leinster lad, and he went to school with one of Geordan's brothers or cousins - so i am mildly surprised he's going to Munster.
I will miss his zeal and ferocious expressions when tackling, and wish him well. He's another one I will always secretly consider "ours" even when he's playing for another team.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
stevetelcom2000
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by stevetelcom2000 »

1966 wrote:Good luck Johne and thanks for the memory's, yet another good young Irishman lost because of the pressure applied by the Irish selection policy.

I think it is time that we stopped recruiting young Celtic players, spending time money and effort on developing them, only to see them leave when they reach the top of their game.
The IRFU use Tigers in the same way Tigers use Nottingham.
Tigers are the IRFU's feeder club :smt043 :smt043 :smt043
stevetelcom2000
Gold Member
Gold Member

BJ. wrote:
stevetelcom2000 wrote:Tigers are the IRFU's feeder club :smt043 :smt043 :smt043
Many a true word is spoken in jest, young man. :smt002
:smt031 Young man??? Now thats something I don't get called very often. What I find amusing is that JM went back for a number of reasons, to put himself in the shop window for Ireland being only one of them. Ironically not playing in Ireland has'nt stopped Tommy Bowe being picked, one of the players he will need to replace if he is going to get a look in. :smt017 Kindda puts an end to the IRFU conspiracy theory. The fact is, if your good enough you will get picked. Has anyone wondered why Tigers seem to let him go without a fight? Expect to hear of another high profiles player departure pretty soon. :smt002
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote="stevetelcom2000"][quote="BJ."][quote="stevetelcom2000"]Tigers are the IRFU's feeder club :smt043 :smt043 :smt043[/quote]Many a true word is spoken in jest, young man. :smt002[/quote]

:smt031 Young man??? Now thats something I don't get called very often. What I find amusing is that JM went back for a number of reasons, to put himself in the shop window for Ireland being only one of them. Ironically not playing in Ireland has'nt stopped Tommy Bowe being picked, one of the players he will need to replace if he is going to get a look in. :smt017 Kindda puts an end to the IRFU conspiracy theory. The fact is, if your good enough you will get picked. Has anyone wondered why Tigers seem to let him go without a fight? Expect to hear of another high profiles player departure pretty soon. :smt002[/quote]

How do we know if Tigers did or did not let him go without a fight? Although from what I've read he seems to have made his mind up to move back to Ireland some time ago. As we saw with Dupuy last year, if a player wants to go, you can't do that much to stop him.

Ok, I'll rise to the bait, who is the other high profile player?

Also, can you help with a query? In Ireland players seem to be dual registered - with a province and a club. Do players actually sign independantly for clubs, or are they loaned out by the province?
tim15

Post by tim15 »

No he's not he's talking about Harry Ellis off to Northampton, BIG fall out with Cockerill and subsequent poor offer of contract= adious et bon chance!

It was either him or Ben Youngs, so there's the coin toss, and no Bill it wasn't from the taxi driver's cousin's girlfriend best mate's hairdresser, it was a lot closer to home at Oval Park!
And on the 7th day, god rested, he stood patiently and awaited the green light to start the game from SKY!
stevetelcom2000
Gold Member
Gold Member

tim15 wrote:No he's not he's talking about Harry Ellis off to Northampton, BIG fall out with Cockerill and subsequent poor offer of contract= adious et bon chance!

It was either him or Ben Youngs, so there's the coin toss, and no Bill it wasn't from the taxi driver's cousin's girlfriend best mate's hairdresser, it was a lot closer to home at Oval Park!

Right player, wrong team, right language.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote="stevetelcom2000"][quote="tim15"]No he's not he's talking about Harry Ellis off to Northampton, [b][u]BIG [/u][/b]fall out with Cockerill and subsequent poor offer of contract= [color=#FF0000]adious et bon chance[/color]!

It was either him or Ben Youngs, so there's the coin toss, and no Bill it wasn't from the taxi driver's cousin's girlfriend best mate's hairdresser, it was a lot closer to home at Oval Park![/quote]

Right player, wrong team, right language.[/quote]

A shame, if true, but not a huge surprise, given Cockerill's previous comments about him needing to be playing regularly if he is to justify his allegedly large salary. Assume a proportion of this has now been reallocated to keep Ben Youngs.
mjonesss95
Tiger Cub

Post by mjonesss95 »

I think Johne was actually underestimated. He always gave 100% and made some really good contributors. I think its good for him that he's going to munster, cause then maybe Ireland can spot him. He should at least be on the bench. :smt032
parvacat

Post by parvacat »

How many players have sought employment away from Tigers and have really blossomed and got international recognition? I can't think of many, to be honest.

Can anyone name a few?

I hope Johne does well but not sure it's the right move.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

parvacat wrote:How many players have sought employment away from Tigers and have really blossomed and got international recognition? I can't think of many, to be honest.

Can anyone name a few?

I hope Johne does well but not sure it's the right move.
Greenwood, Cullen, Jennings, Abraham, Goode ..............
Still keeping the faith!
tim15

Post by tim15 »

Okay Murphy's Law, if not Northampton for Ellis, then wear across the Channel to ????? Toulon or Brive.
:smt039
And on the 7th day, god rested, he stood patiently and awaited the green light to start the game from SKY!
Granby
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Granby »

I see Perpignan have just lost a SH to Racing Metro.....
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Granby wrote:I see Perpignan have just lost a SH to Racing Metro.....
Funny you should say that but my daughter in law (whose familly live in Perpignan) tells me that her friend who is married to the uncle of the sister of a taxi driver there saw Harry in Perpignan recently.
Still keeping the faith!
hww27
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by hww27 »

has anyone any idea when he is supposedly going?!

End of the season or isnt he even going to make it to then?!
Proud member of the Tom Youngs Fan Club :)
Granby
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Granby »

Bill, that is hilarious. I never will tire of the taxi-driver line.