ERC STATEMENTS - OSPREYS V TIGERS

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: ERC STATEMENTS - OSPREYS V TIGERS

Post by Duncan B »

if an ospreys player misled the ref he should get banned? This has gone too far already Im sure it was an honest mistake. I dont remember Tigers being fined or having the Heineken cup final replayed when Back blatantly cheated, he wasnt banned either. Im just saying I dont really believe lee byrne being on the pitch for that many stopped us winning, it was Marty Holahs superb performance.
AfanOsprey
Tiger Cub

Post by AfanOsprey »

Bill W (2) wrote:18.6.1 Upon finding a breach of the Bye-Laws and/or Regulations, or that an
offence pursuant to Regulation 18.1.1 (a) to (d) inclusive has been
committed, Judicial Officers and Judicial Committees shall be entitled to
impose such penalties as they think fit. Such penalties may include, but
shall not be limited to:
(a) a caution, warning as to future conduct, reprimand and/or a fine;
(b) a suspension for a specified number of Matches and/or a specified
period; a requirement that a Match or Matches be played with the
exclusion of the public; the cancellation of a Match result and, where
appropriate, the replaying of a Match; the forfeiture of a Match or
matches and/or tie(s); the deduction or cancellation of points; the
immediate or future expulsion or suspension from a tournament(s) or
competition(s); or any such similar sanctions;
(c) cancellation or refusal of the registration of any Person registered in
contravention of the Regulations;
(d) a recommendation to the Council that a Union or Association be
expelled or suspended from Membership of the Board. Subject to the
provisions of Bye-Law 6(d), only the Council shall be competent to
expel or suspend a Union or Association and any such expulsion or
suspension shall only have effect if approved by a two-thirds
majority of the votes cast at a properly convened and quorate Council
meeting;
(e) an order that any Union, Association, Rugby Body, Club or Person
pay compensation and/or restitution;
(f) the withdrawal of other benefits or membership of the Board,
including, but not limited to, the right to apply to host International
Tournaments; and
(g) any combination of the penalties set out in 18.6.1(a) to (f) above.
18.6.2 Judicial Officers and Judicial Committees shall be entitled to make such
order in relation to cost as is deemed appropriate;
18.6.3 In determining the appropriate penalty under these Regulations, a Judicial
Officer or Judicial Committee shall be entitled to take account of
mitigating and/or aggravating circumstances. Aggravating circumstances
shall include, but shall not be limited to, the repetition of a breach of a
particular Bye-Law or Regulation.
Here's another reg that may be of interest:

Regulation 17.21.2 (h)

(h)comments and/or conduct in connection with current and/or
anticipated disciplinary proceedings and/or match officiating (or any
aspect thereof), which may be prejudicial to and/or impact on current
and/or anticipated disciplinary proceedings and/or which are
prejudicial to the interests of the game and/or any Person.

I would say there are grounds for a possible counter-claim there.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Duncan B wrote:Im sure it was an honest mistake. .
Then the disciplinary panel will so find.

Ospreys made an honest mistake in continuing to play with 16 players

The fourth official made an honest mistake in allowing Lee Byrne back on without anybody coming off

The ref made an honest mistake in abusing the Ospreys officals

The ref made an honest mistake in not giving Tigers a penalty.
Still keeping the faith!
Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Duncan B »

Well yes we should have had a penalty, but penalty decisions go the wrong way frequently, I wish we could just get over it, move on and focus on the GP
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

AfanOsprey wrote:I would say there are grounds for a possible counter-claim there.
ERC have convened a disciplinary hearing charging Lee Byrne and Ospreys with misconduct.

How are you going to counter claim against them?
Still keeping the faith!
AfanOsprey
Tiger Cub

Post by AfanOsprey »

Bill W (2) wrote:ERC have convened a disciplinary hearing charging Lee Byrne and Ospreys with misconduct.

How are you going to counter claim against them?
Bad choice of words I guess..

That regulation also deals with misconduct. It could very well apply to Wheeler. From his Radio 5 interview:

‘The player (Byrne) who came on interfered or was involved in at least two of them (attacks) close to the line. Any neutral person seeing what happened would say it affected the result.’

That is clearly a fabrication. Initially, the majority of the reports didn't even contemplate that the Ospreys may not be totally at fault with this incident (see Mick Cleary in the Telegraph for example).

If Lee Byrne and the Ospreys are heavily penalised for this situation, due to the pressure exerted on the ERC by Wheeler and co, I would not expect us to take it laying down.

I guess the point of this post is to say that things could get very messy, which is a damn shame as Cockerill and many of Leicester's true fans have been the epitome of grace following the match.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

AfanOsprey wrote:
I guess the point of this post is to say that things could get very messy,.
It would indeed be a great shame if Ospreys were to bring the game into further disrepute.
Still keeping the faith!
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

AfanOsprey wrote: If Lee Byrne and the Ospreys are heavily penalised for this situation, due to the pressure exerted on the ERC by Wheeler and co, I would not expect us to take it laying down.
So, you are saying that you would expect your club to fight what they/you perceive to be an injustice then..........?

They have every right to do this of course, but wouldn't this make you/your team as bad as the Tigers are, in your opinion, being in fighting what they perceive to be an injustice?
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
AfanOsprey
Tiger Cub

Post by AfanOsprey »

Bill W (2) wrote:It would indeed be a great shame if Ospreys were to bring the game into further disrepute.
WhitecapTiger wrote:So, you are saying that you would expect your club to fight what they/you perceive to be an injustice then..........?

They have every right to do this of course, but wouldn't this make you/your team as bad as the Tigers are, in your opinion, being in fighting what they perceive to be an injustice?
I'm not disagreeing with the Board's actions - they've got a business to run after all. I don't believe they've gone about it the right way though.

After all the fuss and bad blood caused by Jonathan Humphries' comments last year, I would have expected your board to be a bit cuter about things.

That there are grounds for a complaint is undeniable,but the fact that Wheeler & co have gone about it in the public domain whilst exaggerating events and asking for the impossible is nothing short of distasteful.

If they "didn't want to be seen as whingers", a simple statement along the lines of: "We have formally complained in writing to the ERC and look forward to their findings" would have sufficed. Any pressure that needed applying could have been done out of the public eye.

Again to reiterate, the way Cockerill and the fans have conducted themselves during this affair is a credit to your club. Your board's public stance is not.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

AfanOsprey wrote: I'm not disagreeing with the Board's actions - they've got a business to run after all. I don't believe they've gone about it the right way though.

After all the fuss and bad blood caused by Jonathan Humphries' comments last year, I would have expected your board to be a bit cuter about things.

That there are grounds for a complaint is undeniable,but the fact that Wheeler & co have gone about it in the public domain whilst exaggerating events and asking for the impossible is nothing short of distasteful.

Fair comment.

However, do remember that a significant part of their complaint is against ERC itself. As yours would be if they imposed heavy penalties on Byrne and your club. As Perpignans was (upheld by CNOSF), as Stade's will be.

I am pleased that you are impressed with the way the Tigers playing staff have remained impassive leaving legal and political matters to the Board of Directors.
Still keeping the faith!
palletman

Post by palletman »

To our friend from Ospreys please read the statement put out by Leicester Tigers.It reads to me exactly what you say it ought to.Sorry but to me the Ref did not abuse anybody. To me he spoke it exactly as it was. Someone got it wrong, seemed not to want to take the blame and somehow seemed to react with the not my fault guv look!
Was 4th offical distracted by another situation going on? Seemed to me that Byrne just came to side of pitch and virually walked on! Why?
As Leicesters statement reads action must be taken otherwise this will re-occur another time,another place, and then the answear will be Ospreys got away with it why not us?
As for Backys actions that was from one of 15 men on the pitch, not some sub running on and cheating in a scrum. Missed by the ref and accepted by most as part of the game. Get caught and pay the price. Ring any bells?
AfanOsprey
Tiger Cub

Post by AfanOsprey »

Bill W (2) wrote: However, do remember that a significant part of their complaint is against ERC itself.
Well, that's the problem, isn't it?

If say for example, the Ospreys have been found to have followed correct process and the officials had made this mess, would you expect a board based in Ireland with a 66% Irish panel to lay ANY blame on an Irish ref and his Irish officials?

After all this furore in the media, blood will be expected. I can see Byrne being stitched up for this and banned until after Ireland v Wales in the 6n. Alan Lewis will of course get off scot free.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

palletman wrote: As for Backys actions that was from one of 15 men on the pitch, not some sub running on and cheating in a scrum. Missed by the ref and accepted by most as part of the game. Get caught and pay the price. Ring any bells?
As Backy did when he pushed Slander over. Even though it could have been an "honest mistake".
Still keeping the faith!
AfanOsprey
Tiger Cub

Post by AfanOsprey »

palletman wrote:To our friend from Ospreys please read the statement put out by Leicester Tigers.It reads to me exactly what you say it ought to.
You've missed Wheeler's Radio 5 interview. I believe it's on iPlayer. The quote I posted above is from that interview. Leicester were nowhere near our line when this incident occured.
palletman wrote:Sorry but to me the Ref did not abuse anybody. To me he spoke it exactly as it was. Someone got it wrong, seemed not to want to take the blame and somehow seemed to react with the not my fault guv look!
Shouting at and poking his finger at our manager's face without full possesion of the facts? Lewis was massively unprofessional in his conduct. Yes, somebody got it wrong and it appears he had made his mind up immediately, despite the protestations from our offical that process was followed.
palletman wrote:Was 4th offical distracted by another situation going on? Seemed to me that Byrne just came to side of pitch and virually walked on! Why?
We'll find out the answer to this on Friday.
palletman wrote:As Leicesters statement reads action must be taken otherwise this will re-occur another time,another place, and then the answear will be Ospreys got away with it why not us?
Action must be taken in the context of the IRB & ERC tightening up the technical processes of match time. Writing "Ospreys got away with it" implies you think we are guilty of deliberately cheating. Whatever happened to having to prove one's guilt?
palletman wrote:As for Backys actions that was from one of 15 men on the pitch, not some sub running on and cheating in a scrum. Missed by the ref and accepted by most as part of the game. Get caught and pay the price. Ring any bells?
Post that on munsterfans.com and see what sort of reaction you get.