Stopping Smoking

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

chandler262827
Gold Member
Gold Member

Stopping Smoking

Post by chandler262827 »

After plenty of doom and gloom following Saturday's match, I thought I'd offer a lighter (sorry) note.

Last year I stupidly re-started smoking. Having just got back into doing some training, I decided it was time to pack up again.

Day 17 and it's going really well.

Anyone else giving up the cigs?
---------
I'm not completely worthless, I can be used as a bad example.

Tom
chandler262827
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Stopping Smoking

Post by chandler262827 »

Thanks Pam.
---------

Tom
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Good luck,you need a reason that you can hold on to.
I was playing when I gave up and thought it would make me faster and fitter,well I don't think that was over succesfull.
Second I decided I didn't want to die young from smoking related diseases,which 35 years later seems to be working rather well.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
cornish tigress
Super User
Super User

Post by cornish tigress »

Hi Tom. Good on you. Gave up about 22 years ago and it isn't easy but if someone as weak as me can do it, anyone can do it. Keep going. :smt006
http://www.matthampson.co.uk
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Once stopped, don't be tempted to restart. I gave up years ago as a bet, won the bet. One year later I restarted, one week later got bronchitis, didn't have a phone, so crawled across the village green to the phone box. Didn't reach it, died and went to heaven.
Valhalla I am coming!
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

fleabane wrote:Once stopped, don't be tempted to restart. I gave up years ago as a bet, won the bet. One year later I restarted, one week later got bronchitis, didn't have a phone, so crawled across the village green to the phone box. Didn't reach it, died and went to heaven.
I think this forum is a long way off being heaven.
Sherpa2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sherpa2 »

Stick at it Tom, good luck.

As BJ said I gave up 2.5 years ago and so far so good. Remember, the craving only lasts about 27 seconds and so when I was tempted I would just ask myself how much of a man am I if I can't resist a temptation for less than half a minute - worked for me.

Fortunately in my case the same appliers to beautiful blondes.......
I used to be indecisive now I just can't make up my mind
chandler262827
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chandler262827 »

Sherpa2 wrote:Fortunately in my case the same appliers to beautiful blondes.......
:smt005

Thanks for all the encouragement, it's appreciated.

To be honest, it hasn't really been a big problem (so far) this time as I've hardly had any cravings; I must've been really ready to stop.

The difference in my fitness improvement from training has been significant, too. Hopefully I'll be able to run again soon (I'm recovering from an ankle injury which was the excuse I used to myself to start the bloomin' things again in the first place).
---------

Tom
chandler262827
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chandler262827 »

Really well, thanks BJ. It'll be 7 weeks tomorrow.

I've got quite a lot of stressful stuff going on at the mo, but whereas previously I would've possibly used that as an excuse for having a cigar or roly, I've got no desire to smoke either which is great.

The training is still going strong too.
---------

Tom
Sherpa2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sherpa2 »

Stick with it Tom, you know it makes sense.
I used to be indecisive now I just can't make up my mind
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

I gave up 5 years ago, one of my better decisions that one! I found myself wheezing like an old man after any physical activity and at 23 that was pretty scary. I find other ways of dealing with stress now although I still get the urge when / if i'm feeling anxious but I tend to chew gum instead. Plus, I got married last month and my new mrs hates it so I am under strict instructions never to start up again!

It does get easier and, for me personally, the smoking ban has really helped me to quit - one thing Labour have got right :smt023 during their tenure.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

I gave up 5 years ago, one of my better decisions that one! I found myself wheezing like an old man after any physical activity and at 23 that was pretty scary. I find other ways of dealing with stress now although I still get the urge when / if i'm feeling anxious but I tend to chew gum instead. Plus, I got married last month and my new mrs hates it so I am under strict instructions never to start up again!

It does get easier and for me personally, the smoking ban has really helped me to quit - one thing Labour have got right during their tenure. :smt023
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I gave 12months ago, its only most of , not all the time I want one, watching Tigers brings Huge Cravings at times!!

My collegues at work would like me to start again soon.

Keep at it though!!
To win is not as important as playing with style!