Post by big john »

So he is off at the end of the season

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,2588 ... 46,00.html
k1
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Mauger to leave, so hope this makes room for Lote

Post by k1 »

Shame to see him leave, although it was probably always likely that he would return to NZ to stake a claim for the next RWC.

Fantastic player, one of the best overseas signings Tigers have made. The backline is unbelievably predictable and one-dimensional in his absence, and the team plays much better with him on the field. He's come in for a lot of unwarranted criticism and has maintained a high level of professionalism throughout. Best of luck to him.

On the subject of Lote, I was under the impression he had already signed a contract to return to Oz and play rugby league, with Brisbane Broncos??
Tigerbob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Mauger Confirms Exit

Post by Tigerbob »

I wish him well for the future and hope his back holds up.

He's been great for the club, and I'm sure some of his experience has rubbed off on those around him.

Now he's going back, maybe Nonu may have to rethink his future! :smt002
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Lote hasnt signed anything yet. It was all rumours.

He may yet go back to RL. Or he may go to France. Or to the Super 15. Or he may now stay a bit long!
Humbo

Post by Humbo »

Step forward Billy Twelvetrees!!
Andy Goode wrote the Bible, and Sam Vesty replaced Jesus!
RobGale

Post by RobGale »

Thanks for the past few years Aaron

Good luck with getting back into the NZ team. I don't rate Nonu personally so think he has a great chance if his back holds up

Now, if you wouldn't mind staying fit for the next 5 months or so and helping us through on Saturday and then onto a HEC/League/AWC treble that would be throughly decent of you :smt003
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

He will go with our best wishes but I don't think it will be a massive loss as he hasn't seen much game time of late and Allen has proved a great signing. I think Allen would have learnt a lot from Mauger over the past few months and I see Allen developing into a player of a similar style (no bad thing!).
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

I always thought he was better than we saw at first, I think the problem was he was too good for those around him. At least the backs do look a bit more lively now. It just makes me wonder where we'd be now if Mauger had been injury free and been able to contribute more on the pitch.

Good luck to him, but I do fear for his back injury.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Sad to see him leave, as he was a massive influence on the team. A calming influence, and made the rest of the backs seem to play better.

But I think with the problems he has had fitness-wise, it would be the right time to leave. Lets grab that treble to send him off with! :smt003
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Good luck to Aaron and thankyou for your time here at the Tigers.

Reference Lote's contract,I beleive it runs out before the end of the season and he has not signed for any other team........yet,let's hope the weather warms up and he decides to stay for a bit longer.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

I wouldn't underestimate the effects Aaron has had on the likes of Smith, Hipkiss, Twelvetrees and Flood. If a fraction of his rugby intellect has rubbed off then we will be well served by the Mauger influence for years to come. He was also instrumental to Tigers reaching two finals last season.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I agree with almost everything said so far - he is a class act who hasn't been at his best recently due to injury but the rest of the team have certainly learnt from the experience of playing along side.

I must have missed something though - who is the NZ No8 spoken about. Can't really think we need another back row as a matter of priority - would rather see us with another young 2nd row or hooker. No problems with what we have got but one or two are reaching the veteran stage of their careers.
Hehehehehehehehe
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

I think there is a lack of competition at 8. Crane is almost assured a start. With Brett likely leaving he will have almost no competition. A new number 8 could be a handy acquisition.

Would think we would bring through Green/Hemingway to fill any void developed at 2nd row. Both are about ready for the jump. And we can bring in Duffey at hooker who looks a handy unit, and Tom Youngs looks like he will be excellent when he gets his lineout to the right standard.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

A massive loss in my opinion, but I wish him well. Up there with the best in terms of a rugby brain, with a sublime pass off both hands and deceptive pace but crucially, the ability to see what was in front of him and make the right decision accordingly, unlike the "rugby by numbers" that some are intent on playing. Add to that a true gentlemen, never in a hurry and always willing to chat, especially to young kids (and old kids like myself !). I hope his injuries clear up so we can see him at his best for Tigers in the latter stages of both the Heineken Cup (here's hoping) and the GP. Will rightly receive a huge send-off in his last game.
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Will S wrote:He will go with our best wishes but I don't think it will be a massive loss as he hasn't seen much game time of late and Allen has proved a great signing. I think Allen would have learnt a lot from Mauger over the past few months and I see Allen developing into a player of a similar style (no bad thing!).
Allen has been an effective signing, but I can't see the similarity between him and Mauger. AA will have to learn very quickly if he sees himself as a future second five eighth.