Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

drc_007
Super User
Super User

Re: England squad is announced...

Post by drc_007 »

Bill W (2) wrote:
big john wrote:Bluntiger as far as i remember the EPS money is paid to all clubs but also the teams get a set amount per player picked as well so all the clubs are paid to commit to the aggrement and the clubs get more money the more players that are picked.

?
Think not. Think money is paid to PRL who distribute it to the clubs equally.
This is one thing the RFU needs to sort out ASAP, they must reward those clubs who provide the majority of England players.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

drc_007 wrote:
Bill W (2) wrote: Think not. Think money is paid to PRL who distribute it to the clubs equally.
This is one thing the RFU needs to sort out ASAP, they must reward those clubs who provide the majority of England players.
Not down to RFU. Down to PRL.

The EQP scheme rewards individual clubs but I dont think it is operative yet.
Still keeping the faith!
zena beck

Post by zena beck »

Purebob wrote:How can they pick Payne after the awful autumn ints, and how he was destroyed on Saturday ? Form is (awful) temporary but (lack of) class is permanent with him it seems.
well how can he pick Julian White when he not played for a while and he not fit and hes to old
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

zena beck wrote:
Purebob wrote:How can they pick Payne after the awful autumn ints, and how he was destroyed on Saturday ? Form is (awful) temporary but (lack of) class is permanent with him it seems.
well how can he pick Julian White when he not played for a while and he not fit and hes to old
Because he was in the orignial squad specified i July last year and he can only change five of them or substitute for injuries.

Them's the rules negotiated by Rob Andrew.
Still keeping the faith!
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

I believe so BJ
Still keeping the faith!
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

BJ. wrote:
Bill W (2) wrote:Think not. Think money is paid to PRL who distribute it to the clubs equally.
So we provide the same number of players for England as Sale, Newcastle, Worcester, Gloucester and Leeds PUT TOGETHER and these five clubs are individually given the same amount out of the pot as us?
Yes BJ. Even if a club provide NO EPS players they still get an equal share of the EPS squad players money.

PRL voted for this 'equal redistribution' against Tigers and Wasps and it operated last season and again this season I believe. Not surprising really since Sale, Leeds (or Bristol), Saracens, Worcester, Gloucester, Bath, Newcastle, Irish and potentially Quins were only likely to provide either 0, 1 or possibly 2 players towards to EPS and so would be better off through 'Equal redistribution' and so most would have voted for it.

It was not a public vote but my guess is that only Tigers and Wasps voted against it so you see the positive DISINCENTIVE to develop young English talent.
Always a Tiger
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

bluntiger wrote: It was not a public vote but my guess is that only Tigers and Wasps voted against it so you see the positive DISINCENTIVE to develop young English talent.
Farbeit from me to defend the scheme. I was vociferously against it at the time and still am.

However, it was the EQP scheme which was supposed to encourage clubs to develop young English talent whereby clubs fielding predominently English Qualified Players (outside of the International Windows) received financial recompense from RFU.
Still keeping the faith!
SkippyTiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by SkippyTiger »

big john wrote: Also on the point of who should be allowed to play for England, Would we have got past France in the 2003 world cup with out the south african Mike Catt? if the rules are there and the person shows the right level of pride and passion for the Red Rose then why not?
Exactly what I was thinking, Mike Catt has been a huge stalwart for England, you never hear anyone questioning his pride in the Jersey so why not give others the same amount of respect until proven otherwise?
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

On a sporting level, I think the whole EPS thing sucks. Who knows whose going to be any good next month, let alone a year in advance?

We may ridicule football, but can one EVER imagine daring to look into the eyes of a Clough, Ferguson, Moyes, Atkinson or O'Neil and saying: here's a list of all the players we've decided you're going to have to do without on a regular basis, even if we don't pick 'em.

And here's the compensation you'll get. It's the same as we're paying to teams with no internationals at all.

I think a rather swift thump up the bracket would be forthcoming. At any rate, they would have the cojones to stand up to the old furts in the FA.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Don't forget we may also lose Castro to Italy,Johnne Smurf to Ireland and maybe muffin to Wales as well :smt002
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Again, farbeit me to defend the indefensible.

BUT, PRL did stand up to the RFU. The RFU wanted central contracts. They wanted to rip players away from Clubs willy nilly and return them to Clubs willy nilly. It was only the realisation that they could not afford it (because they would have to buy players out of their existing contracts and then the clubs would not buy the players back) that forced them to back off. And by then Randrew had said he could manage with a central "core" of players - hence the replace 5 rule.
Still keeping the faith!
salcombe bob
Super User
Super User

Post by salcombe bob »

BJ and Kinoulton, it has been what i have said for years. :smt013
Mr Bean
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Mr Bean »

Kinoulton wrote:We may ridicule football, but can one EVER imagine daring to look into the eyes of a Clough, Ferguson, Moyes, Atkinson or O'Neil and saying: here's a list of all the players we've decided you're going to have to do without on a regular basis, even if we don't pick 'em.

And here's the compensation you'll get. It's the same as we're paying to teams with no internationals at all.
I 100% agree!!!
It then gives you the chance to pick the inform players rather than the names.
even though that seems to not always stop that in the football, but thats a different matter.
It's not often I say that rugby could learn form football but in this way I feel it could.
But football should learn more from rugby ie. citing panels, sin bins
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

If payne actually plays in the 6 nations then Castro will be definatley be licking his lips as will Ewan Murray even Johnny "tub of lard" Hayes will fancy his chances

I have to agree - Flatman would be a better option and so for that matter would be Stanko ( I know he wasn't born here but he must be qualified surely?)
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Payne will be injured in training (and not just his pride) allowing a replacement to be promoted from the Saxons squad.
Still keeping the faith!