Tom Varndel today

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kiwicat

Re: Tom Varndel today

Post by kiwicat »

Those people who jeered Tom Varndell should be ashamed of themselves.Such behaviour reflects badly on the club and its supporters.The booing was not seen as " panto mime" by the media commentators-The radio Leicester team were disgusted and rightly so.
doogie

Post by doogie »

We were right at the front of the Crumbie terrace, close to the Tigers dugout and I think Tom took the banter in good spirit. To be fair, most of the comments aimed t him were about his boots ... and quite right too lol

When he came over to get a ball after one had been kicked into touch, the crowd around me were clapping and any banter I heard was good natured. During the warm ups in the 2nd half he gave us a quick thumbs up too so I'm sure he was ok with it all.
Daveyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Daveyboy »

I do think there is a lot of hypocrisy with regards to TV and a load of pompous sackcloth-and-ashes-type self-flagellation about the booing.

Facts:

TV played many great games and scored some fantastic tries for Tigers.
He fell out of love with the coaching staff and the Club.
His contract expired and he went elsewhere -it just happened to be Wasps.
There was uproar from many in and around Welford Road.
"How could he do this to us and go to Wasps of all people?" was a popular theme.

On his first return to Welford Road he was on the receiving end of some light-hearted pantomime booing. There was nothing malicious about it and it seemed to make TV smile. Many people laughed out loud at his first handling error too.

There was booing (of the ref in the first half, surely a more heinous crime?) at other times and there will be again. It is not the end of civilization as we know it - standards have not slipped - we have not become "roundyball supporters" - it was a bit of fun, that's all.

The crowd behaved in an exemplary way as they always too. It was a fantastic match and the best possible result was achieved. Would those who object to the booing have felt the same if we had lost the match and TV had scored a hat-trick against us. We will never know.

Lighten up, People.
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Daveyboy wrote:I do think there is a lot of hypocrisy with regards to TV and a load of pompous sackcloth-and-ashes-type self-flagellation about the booing.

Facts:

"How could he do this to us and go to Wasps of all people?" was a popular theme.

On his first return to Welford Road he was on the receiving end of some light-hearted pantomime booing. There was nothing malicious about it and it seemed to make TV smile. Many people laughed out loud at his first handling error too.

There was booing (of the ref in the first half, surely a more heinous crime?) at other times and there will be again. It is not the end of civilization as we know it - standards have not slipped - we have not become "roundyball supporters" - it was a bit of fun, that's all.

The crowd behaved in an exemplary way as they always too. It was a fantastic match and the best possible result was achieved. Would those who object to the booing have felt the same if we had lost the match and TV had scored a hat-trick against us. We will never know.

Lighten up, People.
I'm with you on this one,of course he should get some stick when he comes on,he's a member of the opposition now.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Tiggger

Post by Tiggger »

tigerburnie wrote:
Daveyboy wrote:I do think there is a lot of hypocrisy with regards to TV and a load of pompous sackcloth-and-ashes-type self-flagellation about the booing.

Facts:

Lighten up, People.
I'm with you on this one,of course he should get some stick when he comes on,he's a member of the opposition now.
Particularly for wearing those 'dayglo' boots!!!!
Johnno is God!!!
Richard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Richard »

I expect to hear plenty of boos(not booze) when Dusty Hare returns...that will definitely be pantomime stuff....and I dont expect to see him wearing a Dayglo wig....
the future is bright
the future is
Scarlet Green and White
Terrace Man
Tiger Cub

Post by Terrace Man »

Spot on, Daveyboy :smt001

Chill out people, It was a bit of fun. Enjoy the moment without finding something (however small) to whinge about. :smt018
Formerly Former Prop !
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MJ Chairman »

Terrace Man wrote:Spot on, Daveyboy :smt001

Chill out people, It was a bit of fun. Enjoy the moment without finding something (however small) to whinge about. :smt018
I'm sure it was just a bit of fun and that Tom must have expected it, the point I think was that it came over on both the Telly and Radio as being malicious. maybe it was the amplifying effect of the microphones.
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

MJ Chairman wrote:
Terrace Man wrote:Spot on, Daveyboy :smt001

I'm sure it was just a bit of fun and that Tom must have expected it, the point I think was that it came over on both the Telly and Radio as being malicious. maybe it was the amplifying effect of the microphones.
.....not to mention the amplifying effect of the commentary. Something of a self-fulfilling prophesy for Barnes and co....
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Daveyboy is right.

The booing down at the A & L end of the Crumbie terrace was certainly not malicious. Just a bit of a wind up coupled with some good honest Rugby banter. I think TV would have been disappointed to get no reaction.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
rocktop51
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rocktop51 »

Richard wrote:I expect to hear plenty of boos(not booze) when Dusty Hare returns...that will definitely be pantomime stuff....and I dont expect to see him wearing a Dayglo wig....
Pantomime or not - somehow I don't think that this will happen to Dusty - he is regarded with affection and as an all time Welford Rd great. He wasn't someone who IMHO seems to have believed he was better than he really was in the case of TV.
Hambo :- He was with England when he was injured, but he was a Tigers player, our player. He is still our player.”
ashfieldtiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by ashfieldtiger »

i spoke to him after the match, we had a good laugh and his lovely wife threatened me with " were you one of those booing him" i explained its very unlike leicester and its only because he plays for wasps, he shook my hand and i wished him all the best.
jack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jack »

Shock horror, Tom Varndell who wasnt getting a game, had a great deal of input from Tigers, went off and signed for our greatest rivals (with one year still on his contract I heard) comes back in trendy boots and gets booed.
I think he was surprised - so was I when he chose to go elsewhere - especially there. I didnt boo, however I have no problem with those who did whether ironically or humourously.
Dont remember too much booing for Seru. Wentzel, Leinster lads etc. Wonder why? Perhaps they, in the majority of cases left slightly more amicably or at the end of their contracts.
Thanks for you speed and tries for us, Tom but it seems that some Tigers fans will not appreciate your future efforts. Doesnt make them wrong.
Maybe a question of sudden change of loyalty upset them.
Tigers - true Champions!
RugbyTiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by RugbyTiger »

I was shocked to hear a woman not far away from me shout when Tom came on "come on Varndell get your white shorts dirty you puff". He knew he was going to get some stick when he came on but that was uncalled for.

Carole
Carole

A REAL RUGBY TIGER IN MORE WAYS THAN ONE !!

ALSO KNOWN AS DORCAS - PART OF THE MOTHERS GANG SO WATCH OUT LADS !!