Jonno's Sky Interview?????

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

johnno24

Re: Jonno's Sky Interview?????

Post by johnno24 »

I have just watched an interview after the south africa match last year, and it seems to me that GS has a problem with johnno. Kept asking a lot of daft questions will try post a link for it. I think that GS may have to reconsider his interviewing style as i cant imagine johnno taking much more of this type of interview and i wouldnt fancy my chances in a fight against johnno :smt001
johnno24

Post by johnno24 »

Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

GS makes his living by being an "edgy" rugby journalist who likes to get under a manager's skin - particularly one who is struggling for results. His questions strike me as heavily pre-scripted, often to make a basic point but in a slightly too clever and provocative way. Paxman-esque one might say.

Not too surprising then, that MJ got visibly irritated. I'm not too concerned to see him react that way - plainly he cares passionately about England and doesn't just resort to platitudes and the hair shirt in post match interviews.
Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Duncan B »

Graham Simmons is a right prat and he deserved at least a dirty look, what disturbed me was Borthwick and Bannahans interviews! They were quit positive! At least Moody and Jonno spoke the truth!
Mr P
Top Cat
Top Cat
Location: Roade. (yes its Northampton!!!) Tiger through and through!!

Post by Mr P »

Simmons has always been the same, trying to make a name for himself by asking what he feels to be "difficult" or "on the edge" questions. As somebody previously mentioned, asking Andy Robinson if he feels he should quit, within minutes of the game ending, was truly shocking, and i never thought I would ever feel sorry for AR !!!

Johnno is Johnno, and all the media training in the world will not stop him being passionate and honest, we wouldnt want it any other way. If Simmons persists with the inept questions, then he deserves the treatment he gets.

I just hope that Johnno is honest enough to admit that Borthwick really must go now. Apart from a few lineout take against Australia, his performances have been sub-standard, and his leadership skills are being exposed yet again.

Although, the more i think about it, the more I wonder if Johnno really does have the final word on selection, or does Squeeky call the shots...............???
Ben the Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Ben the Tiger »

Ben the Tiger wrote:He looks furious with GS at the end of this video, i presume that this is the one that you are referring to?

http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0 ... 57,00.html
For some unknown reason the link has changed don't know whether it's just my computer or others but if you go to the link above then the link to the clip is below that video under the title/header England vs. Argentina - Johnson
Success only comes before work in the dictionary.

"Rugby is a hooligans game played by gentlemen." Winston Churchill
Tiger Eye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger Eye »

I think it may have something to do with this interview from a while back - GS was asking the usual obvious questions and Johnno was clearly fed up over losing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKcx5quQ ... re=related
Leinster Heineken Cup champions 2009
Ireland Grand Slam champions 2009

http://sites.google.com/site/ritamarielawlor/
Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Duncan B »

Good find Tiger Eye!
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Simmons may ask any (daft) question he likes, and Johno has to learn to deal with them! His answers are not good enough to satisfy a paying public without whom neither S or J would have a job. If Johno wants the public on his side, he needs to deal with questions in a different way.

S will not change, but J should consider media training if he is going to face an increasingly hostile media, and not just S. He would learn how to nullify the S approach so that he could run the interviews his way.

Using the :smt013 Death Stare :smt013 won't get him anywhere - it made him look inadequate, and a bully - not the Johno we know and love (in a manly way, naturally!). :smt001
Valhalla I am coming!
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Agreed and as I said earlier one of the roles of the England Manager (as opposed to a hands on coach) was to be the front man to the media. As you say he needs to deal with it better.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Tiger Eye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger Eye »

fleabane wrote:Simmons may ask any (daft) question he likes, and Johno has to learn to deal with them! His answers are not good enough to satisfy a paying public without whom neither S or J would have a job. If Johno wants the public on his side, he needs to deal with questions in a different way.

S will not change, but J should consider media training if he is going to face an increasingly hostile media, and not just S. He would learn how to nullify the S approach so that he could run the interviews his way.

Using the :smt013 Death Stare :smt013 won't get him anywhere - it made him look inadequate, and a bully - not the Johno we know and love (in a manly way, naturally!). :smt001
I am a big Johnno fan - as most on here will know :smt002 but I agree here - he has to learn how to deal with the media on a different level to when he spoke after matches as a player. He's the England manager now - GS is an irritating guy - but Johnno is a down to earth likeable bloke who simply says what is, but if he's not careful he will end up losing respect if he has a problem with being interviewed. He is going to meet people in the media more annoying than GS during his career I'm sure.
Leinster Heineken Cup champions 2009
Ireland Grand Slam champions 2009

http://sites.google.com/site/ritamarielawlor/