Poppy Appeal/Help for Heroes

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Poppy Appeal/Help for Heroes

Post by tigerburnie »

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The average British soldier is 19 years old…..he is a short haired, well built lad who, under normal circumstances is considered by society as half man, half boy. Not yet dry behind the ears and just old enough to buy a round of drinks but old enough to die for his country – and for you. He’s not particularly keen on hard work but he’d rather be grafting in Afghanistan than unemployed in the UK . He recently left comprehensive school where he was probably an average student, played some form of sport, drove a ten year old rust bucket, and knew a girl that either broke up with him when he left, or swore to be waiting when he returns home. He moves easily to rock and roll or hip-hop or to the rattle of a 7.62mm machine gun.
He is about a stone lighter than when he left home because he is working or fighting from dawn to dusk and well beyond. He has trouble spelling, so letter writing is a pain for him, but he can strip a rifle in 25 seconds and reassemble it in the dark. He can recite every detail of a machine gun or grenade launcher and use either effectively if he has to. He digs trenches and latrines without the aid of machines and can apply first aid like a professional paramedic. He can march until he is told to stop, or stay dead still until he is told to move.
He obeys orders instantly and without hesitation but he is not without a rebellious spirit or a sense of personal dignity. He is confidently self-sufficient. He has two sets of uniform with him: he washes one and wears the other. He keeps his water bottle full and his feet dry. He sometimes forgets to brush his teeth, but never forgets to clean his rifle. He can cook his own meals, mend his own clothes and fix his own hurts. If you are thirsty, he'll share his water with you; if you are hungry, his food is your food. He'll even share his life-saving ammunition with you in the heat of a firefight if you run low.
He has learned to use his hands like weapons and regards his weapon as an extension of his own hands. He can save your life or he can take it, because that is his job - it's what a soldier does. He often works twice as long and hard as a civilian, draw half the pay and have nowhere to spend it, and can still find black ironic humour in it all. There's an old saying in the British Army: 'If you can't take a joke, you shouldn't have joined!'
He has seen more suffering and death than he should have in his short lifetime. He has wept in public and in private, for friends who have fallen in combat and he is unashamed to show it or admit it. He feels every bugle note of the 'Last Post' or 'Sunset' vibrate through his body while standing rigidly to attention. He's not afraid to :censored: anyone who shows disrespect when the Regimental Colours are on display or the National Anthem is played; yet in an odd twist, he would defend anyone's right to be an individual. Just as with generations of young people before him, he is paying the price for our freedom. Clean shaven and baby faced he may be, but be prepared to defend yourself if you treat him like a kid.
He is the latest in a long thin line of British Fighting Men that have kept this country free for hundreds of years. He asks for nothing from us except our respect, friendship and understanding. We may not like what he does, but sometimes he doesn't like it either - he just has it to do.. Remember him always, for he has earned our respect and admiration with his blood.

And now we even have brave young women putting themselves in harm's way, doing their part in this tradition of going to war when our nation's politicians call on us to do so.

When you receive this, please stop for a moment and if you are so inclined, feel free to say a prayer for our troops in the trouble spots of the world.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Re: Poppy Appeal/Help for Heroes

Post by Kinoulton »

My stepson is out in Afghanistan (again) and has been stationed at a very remote outpost where (using the army's coy phrase), they are kept "busy" everyday.

We hadn't heard a word from him for two weeks, which is worrying. We have just (i.e. at 7:30 a.m. on Saturday morning), heard that as of Thursday morning he was alive and well, albeit still close to the Taliban fighters and still busy.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Welford Tigress

Post by Welford Tigress »

May their God keep them all safe and return them to their families soon.
We will succeed, we cannot fail the only obstacle is doubt...
Was a great game, is still a great game, will always be a great game.
chinnjamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chinnjamie »

Good luck to all the lads and lasses out there, including your stepson Kinny. The politicians decide if we go to war, but the troops are what give this country its freedom. Its great to see that Help for Heroes has been such a success, and proves whether we agree with this war or not that its all about getting behind the troops and their families.
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

I've just equipped myself and the juniors with poppies. Crucial that they grow up appreciating the armed forces' sacrifices for the rest of us. I got really wound up last year with some knit your own muesli wholewheat Birkenstocks Stoke Newington git who was sounding off about how wouldn't wear a poppy because he disagreed with the Iraq war.

So he would diss the sacrifice of soldiers in every other conflict just so he could feel right-on. Gaaaaahhhh!!!!
Suz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Suz »

Good luck to all those out in the field, may they all come home safe.

I think it is so important to support out troops in whatever way we can. This support should be regardless of whether you think it was right to go to war or not.
"The beast got us, the Leicester beast."
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

I know we have members of this forum, and relatives & friends of forum users who are out in Afghanistan or other similar places. I keep them, and our other forces around the world in my thoughts.

I wear a poppy with pride each year, for our current forces, and for those who have served and often made the ultimate sacrifice in the past. Having visited Ypres this summer and found my great-uncle's name on the Menin Gate, after researching his war record, I feel my donations to the British Legion and to Help for Heroes are the very least I can do in his memory.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I do have a vested(sp) interest as my son was out there a while back(he's a Royal Engineer)and my daughter in law is a medic and she might be going out there in a bit.
Just seemed to say the right things,I recieved this as an email with added pictures and a poppy at the end of it but that didn't copy and paste.
Some folk are apparently thinking that the Poppy appeal was "just" for the veterens of the two world wars and that it's no longer relevant.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
apps

Post by apps »

i am about to go to afgan sunday and i know i put a few things on here about next sat game i for one not only wear a poppy but on 11/11 i try to think of my granddad when he was in the Korean War he never talked about it to me all so my uncle had been down the flaklands in 82 for then 6 weeks i my slef have been to northen ireland, bosian,iraq & now afgan in every place i have lost mate who i either played rugby with or went out on the pop it is my time to remember then.

i hope you all get behind the army a lad's next week when they play the tigers if i was there i would be crying as i never seen the army play the tigers either the raf when it use to happen & it should happen more offen.

GOOD LUCK BOTH TEAMS
TIGERS RULE WELFORD ROAD NO MAN CAN STOP THEM IN THERE WAY TO MORE SILVER
cornish tigress
Super User
Super User

Post by cornish tigress »

Just got the best email from my friend yesterday. It just said in massive red letters "HE'S BACK!!!!"

Now she can breathe out a little.
http://www.matthampson.co.uk
Dave W
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dave W »

stay low, move fast, apps - have a safe tour.
Never move faster than your guardian angel can fly...
Surfing Tigress

Post by Surfing Tigress »

My heart goes out to all the ladies and gentlemen that have and are currently in action. I have a few friends which have served recently and which are going out to serve soon. I am very proud to call them my friends and count myself lucky to know such loyal, dedicated and lovely people. Not to mention down to earth and a right laugh!

I wish them well and give them all the luck and hope they return safely.

Take care guys, xx
o
o
<(((>{
tim15

Post by tim15 »

Have a brother in law (in the RAF) just back form Afghanistan, was telling his wife all the time he was fine, whilst he was avoid mortars and hitching rides in and out of helicopters and conveys.

She's very relieved to have him back, wear the poppy with pride and for all those wondering what they do, the Royal British Legion,SSAFA (Soldiers, Sailors and Air Force Association) & RAFA do their bit to help those not only retired but also their families, we can just make sure that they are supported 24/7 and be eternally grateful for their role.

Safe tours to one and all!
And on the 7th day, god rested, he stood patiently and awaited the green light to start the game from SKY!
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

I hope to see the ground full of supporters wearing poppies tomorrow ( v SA).

My nephew is in Afghan for the second time - this time as a civvy, project managing a hospital build at (I think) Camp Bastian.

We should remember all our serving personnel, and also all of those who have suffered whilst doing peacekeeping service around the world, and those who have suffered as a result of terrorist activity.

In Grantham we now have a memorial to all those who have lost their lives in service to their country, or through terrorism, since 1945, the only memorial of its kind. It was raised by public subscription, and with the stone, design and sculpting donated by a local quarry and its workers.

If you really want to show your appreciation, sympathy, support and understanding, please think about doing the same wherever you are.
Valhalla I am coming!
Suz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Suz »

fleabane wrote: In Grantham we now have a memorial to all those who have lost their lives in service to their country, or through terrorism, since 1945, the only memorial of its kind. It was raised by public subscription, and with the stone, design and sculpting donated by a local quarry and its workers.
Do we?

I was pleased to read today that common sense has prevailed and poppies are not being banned from a retail chain
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manc ... 343553.stm

These soliders are fighting (and unforunately dying or getting injured) for our country the least we can do is support them by wearing the poppy
"The beast got us, the Leicester beast."