The Things You Hate The Most...

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Re: The Things You Hate The Most...

Post by Kinoulton »

madoqua, I totally agree, and privately the coppers told me that the whole case was a bunch of rubbish, but like you say, the systems doesn't work.

If someone tries to mug you, and you push the mugger to the ground, then what happens next?

You will tell the police exactly what happened. The mugger will tell the police that he was just going about his business when you launched an unprovoked attack on him, pushing him violently to the ground, obviously causing him a lifetime of incurable back/neck/arm/mental/ trauma which will never go away.

Your stories are totally different except for one key thing. You both agree that you DID push him to the ground. You are guilty.

If ever I am in that sort of position again, I will lie. And I will swear on the Holy Bible that if ever I am required to talk to the police again, I will lie.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

I rarely venture on to this forum

But I am drawn to by this thread.

Many many years ago (like 50+) my father, who was a highly qualified first aider, saved the life of a young girl (5 years old?) in an RTA (crossing road with Mum, Mum said "Stop!", girl did, farmer wearing wellingtons got the throttle and the brake together, girl dragged under land rover for 20 yards.)

Doctors, Matron, Surgeons all agreed Dad saved her life.

Dad was prosecuted. For removing her from the scene of the accident.

He picked her up. applied a tournequet to her leg, observed severe head injuries, got into the nearest car and said "Drive to the hospital!" The driver of the car was also prosecuted.

The case was dismissed.

But Dad went through six months of sheer hell. Although as he said to me - I did the right thing, I could stop the blood loss from the leg but the head injuries were life threatening. I would do it again.

The girls Mum thought so to and was very supportive. The girl stayed in touch with my Dad for the rest of his life.
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
madoqua
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by madoqua »

Everyone has anecdotal tales of poor decisions made by law enforcement agencies. There are poor decisions made in every workplace.
I've heard enough in pubs to last me for ever.
I have 20+ letters/cards from folk that I've been involved with. Some are so touching and nice that they still bring a tear. I wager they would to some of you.

Problem is that nice stories about the police aren't good material for the bar stool clan.
maskedsquid
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by maskedsquid »

That is because the 'nice' stories are what people expect to happen as a result of investigations and dealings with the police and justice departments.

They do not want to get the idiotic-but-by-the-book actions and rulings which seem to make headlines on a weekly basis.
It's only cheating if you get caught.
Surfing Tigress

Post by Surfing Tigress »

What I hate the most is the stereotypes that people face when they work in other countries. Thanks to the open communication links to programmes showing 'Brits abroad having it large' and such rubbish I have been labelled as one of these loose, brazen women on a number of occasions. It is now a common misconception that all British women and men are like this. Let me tell you, it is not nice!

I have worked and lived abroad in countries where these programmes have not been broadcast, and find it not a problem. Working on the coastline of Spain and Portugal however, I have been approached, heckled, had crude gestures and some other experiences happen to me, which were rather intimidating. As I mostly travelled and worked alone I did find it a problem and now typically avoid certain european tourist locations.

Once I was in an area long enough for people to accept who I was, I didn't usually have as many problems. When they found out I was a science geek, I usually got left alone!

With the problems this summer I can see these stereotypes about Brits abroad continuing for some time to come. While there are still those Brits that choose to continue to act like this I understand why locals think and stereotype to this way.

To a negative conclusion, I am now more limited to where I like to go in europe.
To a positive conclusion, I am now pushing myself to have adventures in much more exotic places!
o
o
<(((>{
madoqua
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by madoqua »

Maskedsquid,

It is impossible to solve every one of the millions of situations thrown the way of law enforcers. Someone will always be unhappy and it is amazing how stories get embellished in the telling.

Yes there are 'jobsworths' in the police (I despise them) but I bet there are in nursing, admin, IT, teaching, politics, bin emptying, railways, airports, hotels, the Forces etc.etc.

You must have made mistakes in your life or made a decision you wish you hadn't. If not, you are as perfect as you expect the police to be.
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

I hate those adverts on TV & radio that follow this theme..
"have you had a trip or fall recently,then you could be entitled to £5000 on a no win no fee basis".

They drive me crazy, no wonder everyone (some) people in this country are after something for nothing.
There's a law firm in Hull now advertising for people to claim against a Hospital Trust about hospital acquired infections. I work in the NHS and people do acquire infections and in some cases do deserve some form of compensation. However sometimes this can be acquired from varying sources including there visitors.
In the area i work we now have to swab every patient on admission for MRSA so we can prove that this hasn't been acquired while in hospital. This swabbing process involves 3 differing body parts and the swabs then sent off for processing. The cost implications for the tax payer are massive as i don't suppose it comes cheap! but we have to swab everyone to cover the trust.

People always criticise the NHS and it's staff, there are areas that are poor but the shear size of the population and the NHS means there are bound to be some problems experienced by users. A recent "charity" found a % of nurses to be rude & uncaring, no mention of the rude patients, relatives and the daily verbal & physical aggression faced by front line staff.

Sorry, having bad day at work, gone abit off track but the sentiment's there. :smt009
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"
maskedsquid
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by maskedsquid »

madoqua wrote:Maskedsquid,

It is impossible to solve every one of the millions of situations thrown the way of law enforcers. Someone will always be unhappy and it is amazing how stories get embellished in the telling.

Yes there are 'jobsworths' in the police (I despise them) but I bet there are in nursing, admin, IT, teaching, politics, bin emptying, railways, airports, hotels, the Forces etc.etc.

You must have made mistakes in your life or made a decision you wish you hadn't. If not, you are as perfect as you expect the police to be.
Hi Madoqua,

Of course I've made mistakes in life, just like everyone else, and I have no problems with the authorities making mistakes, as long as they are made for the right reasons.

People and organisations making ridiculously poor decisions, whether through complete ignorance or fear of offending someone, are simply unacceptable.
It's only cheating if you get caught.
known as eric at work
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by known as eric at work »

I hate those adverts on TV & radio that follow this theme..
"have you had a trip or fall recently,then you could be entitled to £5000 on a no win no fee basis".

I was in Bulwell on a an IOSH course the other week, and took a walk around the market during break, only to find that there is stall that does this. The person manning the stall has a radio cassette CD player blaring an advert, and he literally launches at anyone who appears to have limp or other injury. It would be funny if it wasn't true.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

The UK law definitely needs to fight back against this compensation lark.

After all, we live in a democracy, so this is our law, and it should work in a way that we like, and not according to some random decisions made by people who became magistrates because they couldn't hold down a proper job.

I run two very modest businesses that keep me my family in work, paying tax, NI, etc, much in the way that Thatcherite and post-Thatcherite Britain encouraged us to do.

But I have to pay out massive insurance premiums just in case some senior executive I found, flips his lid and fondles his secretry's bum and she is traumatised for life and can never work again.

Or some fat uncoordinated city dweller falls off his own horse, on our land, and alleges that no one told him in writing that this might happen.

We should have a UK opt-out for all laws that state that people in the UK are presumed to be quite intelligent, quite tough, quite quick on the update, and if they are surprised at being scolded by the hot coffee that they just bought, then they will be sectioned under the mental health act.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

I think they should put you and me in charge Kinny.

We could get rid of thousands of jobsworths in central and local governmentl, simplify the law on most things, get out of the European gravy train, and make life straighforward again.

Kids could play conkers and climb trees. Christmas would be a national time of worship and celebration.

The Welsh would be forced to live in Wales and the Scots in Scotland.

And all would be well!
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

The basic law should be:

a) If you are are a good bloke / lass that was going about your busines when for no apparent reason you got slashed by an out-of-control machine, then you get compensation.

b) If you are an idiot who slipped on a slippery floor, then go and cry to your mum that after umpteen years on God's Earth, you STILL haven't worked out the first thing about anything and should be executed.

On slippery floors you slip. The clue is, that slippery floors look slippery. The rest of us can cope with that.
Last edited by Kinoulton on Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Might I add that if you stick your hand in a thing that is going round it wil likely chew your hand off?

And if you put yout foot on a thing that is rotating it will take your foot off?

Too difficult?

:smt017

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
devilsadvocate
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by devilsadvocate »

Going to the Academy web page and finding LAST SEASONS fixture list (complete with scores off course).
devilsadvocate
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by devilsadvocate »

People who write about things they hate the most.....hee hee hee.