They cannot be serious? Players asked to expose cheating!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Bill W
Super User
Super User

They cannot be serious? Players asked to expose cheating!

Post by Bill W »

The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: They cannot be serious?

Post by Hull Fan »

What a good idea, that will work really well! :smt009
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"
known as eric at work
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: They cannot be serious?

Post by known as eric at work »

Sadly, I think they are.
Smacks of desperation.
me2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: They cannot be serious? Players asked to expose cheating!

Post by me2 »

Seems perfectly sensible to me!

Now if this was the only way they were planning to uncover cheating then I agree it would smack of desperation but it isn't.

It is simply one avenue they are using. Lots of industries have whistleblowing chennels set up to identify bad/illegal practices that might otherwise go undetected.

Rugby is simply being sensible & making use of the opportunities available to it to remove some of the cheating that may have tarnished the game.

As I recall, the (post-Stevens) drugs fiasco at Bath came about because of internal player comments.

Had Williams not testified against Deano in the Bloodgate mess then Richards would probably have got away with it.

This "amnesty" is simply an extension of this & a sensible one in my view.
known as eric at work
Top Cat
Top Cat

I can see this being used as a tool to attack a former club / team mate for any discrepancy, rather than an exercise in reducing cheating per se.

It also implies that the RFU et al, have admitted that they cannot police the game properly.

I accept that it is not the only Avenue the RFU is following, but it is playing lip service to the outcry, not actually looking into the problem.
Snorbins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Snorbins »

Why not just ask Stuart Barnes? Shirt tugging, head and feed (sorry ball to back legs of scrum) he could give them chapter and verse.
Another RFU inititive to pour over with a good lunch!
me2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by me2 »

But if they didn't have this kind of amnesty then some on here would no doubt accuse them of burying their heads in the sand & trying to ignore the problem by refusing to ask those who are closest to it!

It doesn't imply that the RFU are admitting that they cannot police the game. It implies that the RFU have finally acknowledged that they need to make use of all of the resources at their disposal.
known as eric at work
Top Cat
Top Cat

I suspect that it will be open to rabid abuse.

Ourselves and Insects will be most at risk because of the "street wise antics" we are supposed to be good at. Then because it is an amnesty, gossip will permiate through in various directions, not action. Death by reputation.

That does imply that the RFU has not policed the game properly, and are now looking at why their resources have not either worked, or been pulled into use.
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

And I wonder how many if any will blow the whistle.

The law of averages probably rule that every club will have cheated in the past in some form or other so if every club has the whistle blown then what? There will be no more premiership cos every club will have been banned for cheating.

The RFU must have known that cheating has been happening for years they didn't do anything then so why start now. The Dean Richards saga must have made every club aware now that they must stay clean or face the consequences why can't the RFU just leave it at that and start with a clean slate? It's not that clubs are now likely to cheat anymore is it? and if they do then they are foolish because they will know that sooner or later they will eventually be found out ala Dean Richards.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

I may be naive, but if run and regulated properly it can work - it does in many walks of life; but only if evidence is properly investigated, and the process managed.

The real question is, "can the RFU do that?"
Valhalla I am coming!
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

Since Dallaglio is on the committee, I wonder if he has owned up to the Wasps uncontested scrums fiasco? If he hasn't, how can the process have any credibility?
Always a Tiger
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Have to draw a line somewhere - ask Bath! :smt002
Valhalla I am coming!
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

Does anyone have this Doodlealley fella's number? I want to call him to report some shocking cheating. Kiwi bloke name of McCaw, never stops. Cheat, cheat, cheat, as long as the sun is shining and then some.

Something should be done about it.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Gate wrote:Does anyone have this Doodlealley fella's number? I want to call him to report some shocking cheating. Kiwi bloke name of McCaw, never stops. Cheat, cheat, cheat, as long as the sun is shining and then some.

Something should be done about it.
To do this they need to just ring the RFU on 0208 892 2000 and ask for the CEO's office to arrange the confidential sessions.
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
known as eric at work
Top Cat
Top Cat

Bill W wrote:To do this they need to just ring the RFU on 0208 892 2000 and ask for the CEO's office to arrange the confidential sessions.
Is that for any confidential session, or just purely Rugby related ?
This is something that needs to be clarified, it could be number left in a phone box.