Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Bill W
Super User
Super User

Re: Tonights A League Game v Saints

Post by Bill W »

I am heartened.

THE FAITH IS KEPT!
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
TheweEVIL
Tiger Cub

Post by TheweEVIL »

Not been to an A team game for a while but after watch this i shall not be missing many
Sorry to say thought the ref was poor and Ford the weakest player missed 3 kickson the trot
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

(quote="TheweEVIL"]Not been to an A team game for a while but after watch this i shall not be missing many
Sorry to say thought the ref was poor and Ford the weakest player missed 3 kickson the trot[/quote]

Alas good refs are few and far between.

I blame the rfu.
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
Richard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Richard »

TheweEVIL wrote:Not been to an A team game for a while but after watch this i shall not be missing many
Sorry to say thought the ref was poor and Ford the weakest player missed 3 kickson the trot
Not very constructive, be positive and don't let the ref get in the way of a good performance, Barry Everitt missed a number of kicks for Northampton too....
the future is bright
the future is
Scarlet Green and White
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Do remember Ford is still a minor!
bigted

Post by bigted »

george ford was the better 10 out of the two i thought, set up at least two tried and had good vision. his off the T kicking could have been better but hes young still. he see him being a good player if he tightens his game
martin johnson for the knighthood!
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Darc Tiger wrote:Do remember Ford is still a minor!
I thought Fords were Prefects, Anglias, Consuls etc whereas Morris's were Minors.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
Jeremy Anderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremy Anderson »

Ford has real potential. yes he missed a few of his early kicks but that is understandable and may not have done his kicking justice but he passes well on the gain line, has a side step, good pace, good vision and kicks well out of hand including a Carlos Spencer job off the side of the boot. To my mind he had a good game if you discount a few understandable nerves when place kicking.

The full back looked good on attack but did not have many high balls or charging forwards to deal with. No obvious mistakes which is a good start.

Manu's tackling was a bit like Freddie in that he either smashed the man or missed him. Some great examples of the Samoan side step demonstrated.

Agree the ref was not at all good.
Jez

Only Winners Win!
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

The teams were pretty evenly matched and the Tigs did well to keep going at times despite some shocking refereeing at times. The overall standard was pretty good and Northants always looked dangerous. Manu is just like Alex was before he learnt to drop the ball, you can't beat a big Samoan (do they make small ones?) on a charge. :smt023

Last time we saw Northants A team they were a bunch of bruisers but these looked pretty good and from what we saw tonight the future looks rosey in the East Midlands - at least it will when we get Vesty, Flood, Mauger and Tuilagi back.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Players that caught my eye, one way or another:

15 Amorosino - very competent, hardly put a foot wrong albeit never really put under pressure. Promising.
14 Tuilagi - a wrecking ball going forward, with one beautiful take on the run. Kamikaze liability in defence.
12 / 13 Cobden / Forsyth - nothing flash, but did the simple things well.
11 Hurrell - continued his unhappy knack of spilling the ball at just the wrong time, still a work in progress.
10 Ford - leaving aside his placekicking gave a very solid and workmanlike performance.

2 Duffey - showed glimpses of his carrying ability, knows how to use his low centre of gravity.
3 Harris - propped both sides during the game and an absolute dynamo in the loose.
4 Green - solid and workmanlike.
5 Parling - played like a man possessed, a bit loose at times but an absolute pain for the opposition. Secured a ton of lineout ball.
6 Hemingway - another top quality outing in the first half, ran out of gas in the second.
8 Pienaar - one dropped high ball aside was almost faultless. Progressing well.

A very enjoyable game, those that didn't go missed out.
Tiger1980
Tiger Cub

Post by Tiger1980 »

dailywaffle wrote:Players that caught my eye, one way or another:

15 Amorosino - very competent, hardly put a foot wrong albeit never really put under pressure. Promising.
14 Tuilagi - a wrecking ball going forward, with one beautiful take on the run. Kamikaze liability in defence.
12 / 13 Cobden / Forsyth - nothing flash, but did the simple things well.
11 Hurrell - continued his unhappy knack of spilling the ball at just the wrong time, still a work in progress.
10 Ford - leaving aside his placekicking gave a very solid and workmanlike performance.

2 Duffey - showed glimpses of his carrying ability, knows how to use his low centre of gravity.
3 Harris - propped both sides during the game and an absolute dynamo in the loose.
4 Green - solid and workmanlike.
5 Parling - played like a man possessed, a bit loose at times but an absolute pain for the opposition. Secured a ton of lineout ball.
6 Hemingway - another top quality outing in the first half, ran out of gas in the second. I think we'll forgive him for running out of gas, seeing as he played 80 mins for Notts yesterday. Good luck with your legs in the morning young man!
8 Pienaar - one dropped high ball aside was almost faultless. Progressing well.

A very enjoyable game, those that didn't go missed out.
boon

Post by boon »

congrats tigers.

not the best start to defending our 'a' league title but by all accounts we sounded competitive for all but the final 10 mins. pity kenny didnt bring his kicking boots but thems the breaks.

i hear tuilagi no.32 (or however many it is you have got through now) looks a proper prospect.

i look forward to the return fixture (i love my monday nights at the gardens!)

come ON you wanderers!
if you are happy and you know it, you are unusual.
jonnyatom5

Post by jonnyatom5 »

dailywaffle's account pretty much reflects mine.

I'd like to add how much I enjoyed George Ford's performance. He's young, you can see that, but his heads up attacking style shows an old head on young shoulders. He gets his team going forward and isn't afraid to attack and break the gain line. He's quite quick and penetrates gaps well. He did a beautiful chip and chase which he managed to secure and really got forward momentum going. He's a very good prospect in my opinion for a youngster.

Manu is just thunderous, in the open he always gets over the gainline and more often than not makes us at least 15 metres. But it was in the tight that impressed me, he can pick and drive like the best, his tree trunk legs pump and when someone backs him up they're 10 metres in no time, very impressive for a back. Again dailywaffle is correct when he says 'Kamikaze liability in defence'. If he connects it's good night valentine, but more often than not he misses.

Amorosino didn't do too much, but the few touches he did have he looked good, he made a jinxing run close in to their line, got tackled but made the pop pass that a pass later resulted in a try. I'd like to see him under pressure at the back with a few high ball catches before I'd say yes.

All in all an extremely entertaining night. The reffing was questionable and it was a scrappy, error strewn game, but it was very enjoyable. I can recommend it.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Would have been nice for Twelvetrees to get some gametime.
Off Piste Tiger

Post by Off Piste Tiger »

Really enjoyed last nights game.Well worth the effort to get there and see a game full of commitment and entertaining attacking play.Manu Tuilagi looks like he will follow his brothers in being capped by the club soon.
Nice to see international players standing on the crumbie enjoying the game.
Will definately try and get to more of these games.