Lions Agreement?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JWP
Tiger Cub

Lions Agreement?

Post by JWP »

Croft and Ellis did not play on Friday night because of a Lions agreement. So how come Quins played Monye and Bath brought on Mears? There is probally more that I havnt noticed. Also just making sure that our two Lions are eligible to be picked next week? As Quins looked dangerous. Can someone inform me please :smt017
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Re: Lions Agreement?

Post by Bill W »

:smt017 Monye and Mears did not play in the last test? :smt017
Guessing!
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

neither did croft
seaweed
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by seaweed »

Believe Mike Phillips started for Ospreys ? Is this agreement only with GP clubs and even then is there different interpretations between the clubs ?
To quote Ray Gravell - You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late.

Owain Glyndŵr now he was a man of vision.
me2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by me2 »

Kingol22, Croft did play in the last test. He was on the bench.

And seaweed, the agreement is only for EPS players (ie the English ones) as it forms part of the RFU/PRL agreement.

As such, Welsh clubs are not affected by it.

Like Crofty, Monye also played in the 3rd Test but I believe that he was originally in the Saxons section of the 2008/09 EPS squad & not the Test section. Therefore the mandatory rest period did not apply to him.
JWP
Tiger Cub

Post by JWP »

So they both should feature in the game against Quins? :smt026
me2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by me2 »

Depends if it is before the end of the mandatory rest period I guess.

Previously players have missed the first TWO games.
Suz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Suz »

Is the rest peroid from the end of the Lions tour or a mandatory period from the end of the season, which could be split with the Lions tour in the middle?
If so then the Quins players had an extra two weeks break before the Lions as we had the two final, so they could come back two weeks earlier? Maybe?
"The beast got us, the Leicester beast."
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

I don't get why they really need the rest period in any case?? :smt017

It is not as though the Lions test was last week - they would have had plenty of time to recover by now.
LeinsterCormac
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by LeinsterCormac »

Will S wrote:I don't get why they really need the rest period in any case?? :smt017

It is not as though the Lions test was last week - they would have had plenty of time to recover by now.
I assume they get a mandatory holiday period after the finish of the Lions tour, probably about four weeks. They probably wouldn't have been back training until the start of August at the earliest and it's in the best interests of the player's long-term health to get a proper pre-season done. If the players were rushed back I reckon they'd pay for it later in the season.

In Ireland we won't be seeing the Lions players until the end of September. Count yourselves lucky you only had two reps.
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

I think it is fair if everyone abides by the same rules. What we are questioning is why Monye and Mears played at the weekend but Croft and Ellis did not.
Always a Tiger
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

Croft came on and played against Munster only a week and a half ago?
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

chipnchase wrote:Croft came on and played against Munster only a week and a half ago?
That was a friendly - they do not count!
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

chipnchase wrote:Croft came on and played against Munster only a week and a half ago?
I understood that Croft was not 'eligable' for the Sale game under EPS regulations. But how did that not apply to Monye or Mears?
Always a Tiger
me2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by me2 »

We've already explained why Mears & Monye were able to play:

Mears didn't play in the final Lions Test and therefore wouldn't have had to wait as long as those who did.

Monye wasn't in the Senior EPS (he was in the Saxons one) and therefore doesn't have to have the mandatory rest period as it doesn't apply to the Saxons squad.