Cipriani 'bust-up' in Colorado

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

importunate

Re: Cipriani 'bust-up' in Colorado

Post by importunate »

TigerS2 wrote:
importunate wrote:So Cipriani stuck up for himself against some scummy paps... if a Tigers player had done this everyone would be celebrating his bravery to stand up to himself.

Let's be honest. Cipriani is the future, he is going to be (and almost certainly should be) an the England flyhalf. It is only MJ who is at the moment acting rather childishly in his refusal to accept this.

What has Cipriani done to impress MJ, compared to S Vesty this/last season? Danny has had a nasty injury, not only that, he doesn't come accross as a team player at the moment.
A flyhalf does not need to be a team player, he needs to be a team leader. In my opinion a leader needs arrogance, he needs flair and he needs brilliance. Cipriani has all of this.

For my Cips impresses for the following reasons: rapid pace (close to Varndell i'm told), great vision, something other than kicking to offer. For my money Vesty is a very good flyhalf - but he lacks the "spark" to cause genuine damage at international level.
dontlookdown

Post by dontlookdown »

*A flyhalf does not need to be a team player, he needs to be a team leader. In my opinion a leader needs arrogance, he needs flair and he needs brilliance. Cipriani has all of this.*

Seriously a leader does not need to be arrogant. They have to have belief in his and others abilities and get the best out of those others. Whenever I have watched DC play I have noticed his lack of belief in his own abilities (hence inconsistency) and his arroganece leads to those little stressful outbursts. Now would you reall want someone that is likely to stick himself in your face and question your ability when he doesn't do anything for himself??

*breathes*
7 years so far..
gooders060981
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by gooders060981 »

dontlookdown wrote:*A flyhalf does not need to be a team player, he needs to be a team leader. In my opinion a leader needs arrogance, he needs flair and he needs brilliance. Cipriani has all of this.*

Seriously a leader does not need to be arrogant. They have to have belief in his and others abilities and get the best out of those others. Whenever I have watched DC play I have noticed his lack of belief in his own abilities (hence inconsistency) and his arroganece leads to those little stressful outbursts. Now would you reall want someone that is likely to stick himself in your face and question your ability when he doesn't do anything for himself??

*breathes*
Not even sure why we are all talking about the 6th or 7 th choice for England and the 3rd choice for the Saxons. The man is a fool and should be pleased that the paps are there seeing as he is getting no game time whatsoever what else would he be doing
Geordan Murphy for England
smith482
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by smith482 »

He's petulant and immature - gifted player but seriously needs to grow up. I'm sure plenty other players have frequented clubs virtually unnoticed and managed to keep a low profile but he has courted the press when it suits him and sometimes you just have to play the game or they can make your life hell, I'm sure he was perfectly happy when the press were bigging him up all the time.
TigrisLeicesteris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigrisLeicesteris »

Though I agree this journo is scum, Cips deserves everything he gets, you can't play up to the media one moment then complain when you don't want them round. Though I don't know how intelllectually gifted this boy is, he's pretty stupid and naive to allow himself to become a product of the media ,ala Jade Goody, love him or hate him, unfortunately he's here to stay, and no I didn't intend any joke at the expense of Jade Goody, but it was to emphasise the point. :smt023
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
Voltaire

"Morné Steyn is awaited in Paris like the Messiah or a new generation of Apple smartphone" Ze Stade Fan
jack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jack »

Looking at the totally inadequate performance from England last night (Well done, Ireland) I began to wonder how many of our Saxons had been out clubbing with he who shall be nameless. They are adults and all the usual piffling excuses, but they were there in USA to play rugby. Could be that they were just outclassed or maybe they have the attention span of a goldfish or two.

I thought they were embarassingly poor. Ireland A looked keen and ready. I suppose we have to lose some, but this was inept. Celebrity culture? Englands future? I hope so, but some are well down the MJ pecking order and you can see why.
Tigers - true Champions!
TigrisLeicesteris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigrisLeicesteris »

'This is the Winter of our discontent' and I have a feeling it may go on for a lot longer as long as this mentality continues to emerge and is prevalent amongst the ranks,# :smt011
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
Voltaire

"Morné Steyn is awaited in Paris like the Messiah or a new generation of Apple smartphone" Ze Stade Fan
Suz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Suz »

[quote="importunate"]A flyhalf does not need to be a team player, he needs to be a team leader. In my opinion a leader needs arrogance, he needs flair and he needs brilliance. Cipriani has all of this. quote]

Arrogance really? I give you Martin Corry - a true leader, who lead from the front, not by arrogrance but by example. Who had the respect from players and fans alike. Just look at the GP final with Murphy making him lift the cup on his own thats respect that arrogance can not buy.
"The beast got us, the Leicester beast."
importunate

Post by importunate »

Because the allbacks did so badly with people like Carlos Spencer and Dan Carter, not examples of humility. However I think it's rather silly to compare a forward such as Corry with a flyhalf. I could rather easily counter that Mr Corry had rather alot more to be humble about, and was also a thug who attacked peeople. However they have different playing styles and personalities. For me that is life.

Can people please remember Mr Cipriani is 21 years of age. How many tigers can you say were as celebrated as him at such a young age. Indeed Matt Smith is lauded on these forums as a superstar because he has scored few tries and managed to break into the saxons squad at a similar age.

I was also shocked to read the disgusting and abusive comments about Mr Cipriani's girlfriend. There is no place in rugby for such offensive comments, and I would invite the person who made them to apologise.

Finally, I do remember a certain Mr Healey being much chastised for having to big an ego... What is the difference? It is ok to say he is the 6/7th choise English flyhalf, however that is because the squad are selected by someone with no experience and who would rather play safe with his old mates like Mr Goode. I think what I am trying to say is, if Danny was in a Tigers shirt you would all be praising him as the next Jesus.

I wonder in two years time how many of you will still be saying this. I believe that many of you will either have gone quite on the subject, or claim his "improvement" is down to a better attitude et cetera.
gooders060981
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by gooders060981 »

importunate wrote:Because the allbacks did so badly with people like Carlos Spencer and Dan Carter, not examples of humility. However I think it's rather silly to compare a forward such as Corry with a flyhalf. I could rather easily counter that Mr Corry had rather alot more to be humble about, and was also a thug who attacked peeople. However they have different playing styles and personalities. For me that is life.

Can people please remember Mr Cipriani is 21 years of age. How many tigers can you say were as celebrated as him at such a young age. Indeed Matt Smith is lauded on these forums as a superstar because he has scored few tries and managed to break into the saxons squad at a similar age.

I was also shocked to read the disgusting and abusive comments about Mr Cipriani's girlfriend. There is no place in rugby for such offensive comments, and I would invite the person who made them to apologise.

Finally, I do remember a certain Mr Healey being much chastised for having to big an ego... What is the difference? It is ok to say he is the 6/7th choise English flyhalf, however that is because the squad are selected by someone with no experience and who would rather play safe with his old mates like Mr Goode. I think what I am trying to say is, if Danny was in a Tigers shirt you would all be praising him as the next Jesus.

I wonder in two years time how many of you will still be saying this. I believe that many of you will either have gone quite on the subject, or claim his "improvement" is down to a better attitude et cetera.
Difference being is Austins arrogance was deserved, he was a true all round grafter, the same can not be said for Cips, the man cares more for the celebrity lifestyle then to actually play rugby. He thinks he is the best when is far from it. Matt Smith gets praised as he plays with heart and gives it his all, that is all we want.
Geordan Murphy for England
Tigersfan90
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigersfan90 »

“David Beckham of English rugby”I think that's slightly over the top. :smt003
Guinness Premiership Champions & Heineken Cup Finalists 2009
Tigers never give up !