Armitage late tackle attempt

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Armitage late tackle attempt

Post by physiodan »

jus looking at the highlights from saturday and noticed delon's attempt at stopping crane from scoring. not so much an attempt to kick the ball from jordan's hands as to kick jordans arm. doesnt seem to be his normal nature but the picture on the tigers website as crane scores makes it look worse. ifs and buts now but would it have been penalised if he had lost control??? all the best to LI for their efforts and good luck next season
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Armitage late tackle attempt

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

He also tackled Chuter off the ball so Ayerza couldn't get his offload him...
and he late tackled O'Gara and body checked someone else (can't remember who) in the 6 nations- obviously quite an enthusiastic player!
Daveyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Daveyboy »

That picture also mystifies me because it shows Mr Barnes in as perfect a position as you would want to be to see the try being scored yet he still went to the TMO for confirmation. It was probably the presence of Armitage's boot that sowed the seed of doubt in his mind! :smt003
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Barnes did mention; It will be if not a try. No idea what he meant though, was the video ref mentioning the foot?
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
captain_insaino
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by captain_insaino »

These are facts
Tuilagi vs bath HEC QF:
1 off the ball tackle - 4 week suspension missing two semis and a final
Banahan vs tigers HEC QF (same game):
Off the ball tackle (although debaitable) - no citing
Nick Abendanon vs tigers GP SF -
Off the ball tackle when chasing a kick, should have been yellow with no punishment
Blatant trip against johne murphy chasing a kick through in a try scoring situation - definitely yellow and debatably a red. no punishment
no citing
Delon Armitage vs tigers GP F -
Takes Chuter out off the ball preventing an offload in a phase of play that could have produced a try. a yellow card in my book
TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

There was nothing in it! He was just trying to get under the ball. It was quicker to get his foot in the way rather than have to go to ground. It was nowhere near his arm. His foot even went the wrong side of the ball.
watso2c
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by watso2c »

TTRITH wrote:Barnes did mention; It will be if not a try. No idea what he meant though, was the video ref mentioning the foot?

I think he was playing advantage and had been asked if we were still getting the penalty if the try was not given.
Chris
Pete
Super User
Super User

Post by Pete »

I would be interested in a closer look at exactly how Geordan received his eye injury! Was it an accident or was it deliberate?
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

If he had made contact there may have been a case to answer, otherwise not an issue.
MrBlueSky

Post by MrBlueSky »

Skin_and_Muscle wrote:He also tackled Chuter off the ball so Ayerza couldn't get his offload him...
and he late tackled O'Gara and body checked someone else (can't remember who) in the 6 nations- obviously quite an enthusiastic player!
Yeah he body checked O' Driscoll after he chipped ahead in the English half
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

The tackle on Chuter was as blatant a yellow card offence as you can get.

OK, the move was starting to lose its flow, but it was still a move towards the try line.

And them there blokes in the studio thought likewise.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
ashbash

Post by ashbash »

Pete wrote:I would be interested in a closer look at exactly how Geordan received his eye injury! Was it an accident or was it deliberate?
Was accidental in my opinion yes. Mentioned it on another thread that he was trying to charge down Murphys clearance kick in the corner and caught his face with his hand, nothing deliberate there.

Off the ball tackle on Chuter on the other hand should have been a yellow though definitely, knew exactly what he was doing.
physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by physiodan »

Darc Tiger wrote:There was nothing in it! He was just trying to get under the ball. It was quicker to get his foot in the way rather than have to go to ground. It was nowhere near his arm. His foot even went the wrong side of the ball.
the photo in the gallery shows boot on arm and at normal speed on tv shows boot away from the ball. agree it is quicker to get boot under ball and there may be nothing in it but he produced something joe barton might be proud of.
SkippyTiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by SkippyTiger »

I've noticed it's become a bit of a trend lately, very noticible in the super 14 I've been watching, for a player to make a late challenge on a player in the act of scoring or who has just scored, sometimes with a sliding boot, but very often a swift knee drop to the back.

Usually no mention made as the scoring player often doesn't notice at the time due to the elation of scoring, and everyone else is going on about the try, but often in the reply you'll see something dirty.
masopa
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by masopa »

I suspect he gets a "reward" from the scoring team in due course...

What goes around comes around. There's a reason we still have a proper sense of justice in rugby and that's down to what happens on the pitch... sometimes away from the cameras and officials. Not condoning dirty play but it serves an ultimate purpose and there's a very simple reason why our game is still pretty clean for the camera....