Caterpillar Stand

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigermad
Super User
Super User

Caterpillar Stand

Post by tigermad »

Saturday 4 April 2009 will see the last game played in front of the old Caterpillar Stand which has witnessed some incredible scenes over the years. It is to be replaced by an impressive and imposing new Caterpillar Stand which should be ready for next season. What are your fondest memories of this old stand? and your impression of what will be the new Caterpillar Stand?

:smt026 :smt026
Philip J Gray
parkerd68
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Caterpillar Stand

Post by parkerd68 »

Being behind the line of Dusty Hare's winning penalty for the midlands against the All Blacks; Alex Tuilagi getting the winning try in the dying seconds against Gloucester a couple of years ago right in front of me. Probably more after god knows how many years but can't remember!

Anybody else taking a screwdriver to the last match?

Well.....they're not going to re-use them in the old stand are they? :smt002 :smt002 :smt002
tigermad
Super User
Super User

Post by tigermad »

I believe there is going to be an auction with regard to this old stand. Can anyone enlighten me on this point?

Philip J Gray
Dave J
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Dave J »

I have two favourite memories. One was Tom Varndells' try against London Irish and the other was the goal line stand by 12 man Tigers against Bath.

Bearing in mind how many years my rear end has been parked on my particular piece of bench I do have a certain attachment to it so I'd have no problem with paying something for it as long as the money went to the Matt Hampson Trust.
A citizen of hope and glory
Daveyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Daveyboy »

I wonder if they will auction off Mrs Irritable who sits behind me in the Caterpillar Stand.

I would pay good money to have her put in a home.
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
jonni

Post by jonni »

My first time at Tigers was in the Caterpillar stand where my Guinness was knocked out of my hand by a ball kicked into touch.

Best memory has to be 21-20 win over Stade in the 2007 Heineken Cup QF.
Goode converting a Varndell try for a 1 point win. The build up to that try was fantastic. The fans really got behind the team in that last few minutes.
mickyboy

Post by mickyboy »

Neill Back's last try in a Tigers shirt right in front of me against---------FORGOT! HELP!
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

The coffee stain left by a tartan rugger when some poor unfortunate lept up in front of him!!

Seriously ...though I do not sit there thank goodness I would have thought that one of the great memories for anyone who sits on the try line (A&L end) must have been when Freddie scored in injury time against Glaws a few years back when we had all our team away with England

I went delirious and that was in the middle of the terrace - if I had been in that stand that day I think I would have vaulted the fence and kissed him!!
tigermad
Super User
Super User

Post by tigermad »

My best memory is my first game at Welford Road in 2005 when Leicester kicked off the season with a 32-0 mauling of Northampton. A helicopter from a local RAF base delivered the match ball and I have been hooked on Leicester ever since. Does anyone remember that incredible start to the season? I would like the bench where I sit in Block I if it becomes available.

Philip J Gray
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

The only time I ever sat in the stand was when my wife to be came with me,that was for the John Player Player Cup quarter final against London Scottish 8 th March 1980,always a crumbie stander or on the old pile of ash behind the posts at the Welford Road end...............jumpers for goal posts,oranges on the pitch at half time eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :smt002
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
dangough

Post by dangough »

I used to sit in that stand with my Dad but we switched to the Crumbie after our season tickets got moved directly behind a pillar one year.

The most memorable occasion for me in that stand was a 9-6 victory against Bath when John Liley kicked the goals in constant driving rain. The match was under lights because of the driving rain and even though the match wasn't a classic the atmosphere was electric!! Our seats were just behind the rain line (Row G or H?) but because of the wind we were getting soaked so I remember watching the second half sat halfway up the stairs. There is no way I would get away with that today!
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Re Mrs Irritable

She sits behind me too - with someone who looks like he must be her son- never stops moaning, even when we're winning - the players, the tactics, the ref, the ground, the crowd, the management, then start again....

do you have to pay more or less for a matching pair?
Humbo

Post by Humbo »

They should get a local carpenter to make the benches in to really cool benches with backs and sides. I would love one for the kitchen at home, or for my house at uni.

What would be even cooler, is if they could re use them in the new bars when the ground has been fully redeveloped.

My last idea would be for a pub to deck itself out with all tigers seats and benches. That would definatley encourage me to drink in a certain place. I would always go there after matches.
Andy Goode wrote the Bible, and Sam Vesty replaced Jesus!
chinnjamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chinnjamie »

BJ. wrote:
tigermad wrote:My best memory is my first game at Welford Road in 2005 when Leicester kicked off the season with a 32-0 mauling of Northampton. A helicopter from a local RAF base delivered the match ball and I have been hooked on Leicester ever since. Does anyone remember that incredible start to the season? I would like the bench where I sit in Block I if it becomes available.

Local RAF base? The helicopter was a Puma from 230 (Tiger) Squadron based at RAF Aldergrove which, unless it's been moved, is approximately 12 miles WNW of Belfast!
They could always try landing a Harrier from Cottesmore, that would be interesting :smt002