Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

madoqua
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Matt Stevens get 2 year ban

Post by madoqua »

Totally with Kinoulton.

I have worked with every depravity you can mention and have experienced what the realin society can stoop to.

I have friends who take recreational drugs, generally for a good night between the sheets or to experience a bit of the 'other side'.

Drunken players in clubs or on trains (guess who) can and do, in my opinion, drag any sport into the gutter.....but of course drink is so more socially acceptable.

I wonder how many G+T's the panel had after this judgement.

It makes me vomit, and I'm an ex cop.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

No sympathy from me on this, he knew the score (forgive the pun), got found out and now he must pay the price. Tough maybe but that's the way it is.

The fact that there are much worse people out in society and that some of them may indeed be "stars" or MPs does not in any way justify or excuse it.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Sharon Shoesmith gets fired with no severance payments.

Sir Fred Goodwin get fired and "given" a £24M pension pot.

Matt Stevens gets a 2 year ban.

True, the world is an unfair place.
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
Tircoeds

Post by Tircoeds »

madoqua wrote:Drunken players in clubs or on trains (guess who) can and do, in my opinion, drag any sport into the gutter.....but of course drink is so more socially acceptable.
Well, my memory may be failing, but as I remember it, Mr Guess Who was found to have no case to answer to, a case of high spirits, indeed, maybe it was the consumption of that said case that caused it !

I understand your sentiment on what the :censored: of society can get up to. Some argue that it is those in the public eye that help fuel the fire .... I must admit, I am not convinced about that ..... some people would just do it anyhow.

However, I am with BillW on this, he knew the rules, he broke them, he must accept his punishment. Also agree about double standards, with other people in the public eye.

Having said all of that the 50 year old RBS guy who is collecting his £650K pension, has probably caused more anguish and suffering than Stevens ever could by his actions ..... what punishment is he getting (sorry slightly off topic, but hope you get my point !).
Dave W
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dave W »

bet he feels a right "charlie"now, get it....... :smt043 (i'll get my coat).
Never move faster than your guardian angel can fly...
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

I do not think the ban is harsh at all. He is supposed to be a role model to young kids who look up to him and want to be like him. ( a rugby player that is not a druggie). What he has done is telling these kids that it's ok to mess with drugs.

IMO he gets what he deserves. He knew what he was doing.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

IMHO he deserves what he gets.

He was tested positive after playing a match, this in itself is dangerous, let alone when your proping in the scrum when a wrong move could end someones career, or in extreme cases their life. You can't predict how your going to act when you have taken these drugs, thus putting other peoples lives at risk.

I know the world is an unfair place, recent events in my personal life have shown me this, but in Matt's case, he knew the rules, regulations and put people lives at risk. The world hasn't been unfair to him, he has been unfair to himself.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Well I usually confuse some people around here when I use extremes t make a point. But here goes.

You can never defend a ridiculously harsh punishment by simply trotting out worn-out sayings like "he knew the rules".

A woman who got stoned to death for adultery "knew the rules" but it still doesn't make the punishment right.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Poor analogy there, it's just as ridiculous as taking the opposite viewpoint of saying: "so he broke the rules but not let's apply any sanctions". In that case there would be no point in any rules and it would just be anarchy.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

So Kinny, your saying that a 2 year ban is too much?

As I said, he was seriously endangering other peoples lives as no-one knows how they will re-act!
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

TTRITH wrote:So Kinny, your saying that a 2 year ban is too much?

As I said, he was seriously endangering other peoples lives as no-one knows how they will re-act!
Just because there was enough in his system to fail the test doesn't mean he had a sneaky line before kick off.

LSD stays in the body for up to 20 years, weed can be traced for about 6 months.

Habitual use of cocaine, which is what Matt Stevens admitted to, can be there for 12 weeks easily, some reports suggest 25 years.

I think 2 years is excessive for a non-performance enhancing drug - up until the start of the 10/11 season would have been better IMO with the time spent in a program/helping others who have drugs problems/awareness campaigns
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

chappie wrote:Good to see he has a long ban!
There is No room in any sport for Smack heads! :smt038
Do you even know what smack is?

Although i think 2 years is probably a little harsh he deserves a ban of some sort, if only to emphasise a point.

He didn't cheat so when he comes back he shouldn't be disciminated against.
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Bill W wrote:In sport, currently, drug taking is seen as an absolute taboo. Sportmen know this when they particpate in their chosen sport.

In other fields of entertainment it is accepted and even the norm.

Quite why this should be I neither know nor care much. Likely just another case of society having multiple standards.

Matt Stevens was aware of the consequences of being caught, and of the probability of being caught.

Had he been a musician, a model, an actor, or even an MP few would have cared cornerwise! But that has nothing to do with it.

He knew the rules and the punishment for breaking the rules. He broke them.
Have to agree with that. One can argue about whether or not the WADA (World Anti-Doping Agency) protocols are fair, but we have signed up to them and a 2-year ban is, AFAIK, pretty much automatic for a 'first violation'. Very little discretion, unlike the traditional disciplinary hearing process that we are more used to.
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

I understand from what some commentators (on telly) have said that Matt Stevens is a fairly sound, nice man. Hopefully he can now use this time to get over his addiction and come back to the standard, if not better than before.

His ban is correct, its a banned substance so this implies that it must need the person found taking it to be banned!
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"