Gough punches Castro & White eye gouging?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

crateman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Gough punches Castro & White eye gouging?

Post by crateman »

Anybody else thought Gough got off very light after smacking Castro on or about the 68th minute? OK, we got a penalty for something after the assistant ref put his flag up, but was that enough? A short jab, yes, but still enough to walk surely!

Perhaps a citing will sort him out for the 6 nations, funny the expert forawards commentator on sky didn't pick it up. Who was it again?
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Re: Gough punches Castro

Post by Bill W »

We wait the citing officer speaking.

Incidentally I thought the ref had a good game.
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
Dave J
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Dave J »

The Ospreys coach is alleging on Skytext that there was evidence that two of his players had their eyes gouged and Whitey's name was mentioned. He claims that there is video evidence (not that they need it) and a citing may follow. I do recall during the game that their hooker was complaining to the referee and pointing at his eyes. Hopefully nothing will come of it but with our record when it comes to citings I'm a little concerned.
A citizen of hope and glory
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Dave J wrote:The Ospreys coach is alleging on Skytext that there was evidence that two of his players had their eyes gouged and Whitey's name was mentioned. He claims that there is video evidence (not that they need it) and a citing may follow. I do recall during the game that their hooker was complaining to the referee and pointing at his eyes. Hopefully nothing will come of it but with our record when it comes to citings I'm a little concerned.
Ospreys should be warned off this trick. They have already caused the game to be brought into disrepute over the Tincu affair. They alleged gauging after the game at WR also.
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
Mr. Grumpy

Post by Mr. Grumpy »

Oh-oh. From Planet Rugby:

England prop Julian White found himself at the centre of an eye-gouging storm on Saturday - just a fortnight before this season's Six Nations Championship. Furious Ospreys coaches Sean Holley and Jonathan Humphreys spoke out after the Welsh side secured a 15-9 Heineken Cup victory at the Liberty Stadium.

Leicester secured a quarter-final place as Pool Three winners courtesy of their losing bonus point, but the Ospreys could still progress as one of two best runners-up. Tigers forward White though, could now find himself in hot water with tournament disciplinary chiefs. Ospreys assistant coach Humphreys said: "We've got a couple of players in our changing room with marks around the eyes. There were a couple of incidents at Welford Road (when the teams met in October) with Julian, but we didn't go down the citing line. It is disappointing it happens, and disappointing it happens with the same guy. It seems to be becoming part of the game, and there are a few guys in there who are upset with Julian."

Ospreys head coach Holley added: "We know it happens, and we've got to question is it acceptable? If it warrants a citing, we will certainly do it this time. Apparently, there is some footage. The evidence is quite clear. I think we have a duty to eradicate this from our game."

Ospreys hooker Richard Hibbard was extremely animated at one point in the game, and Holley said: "He is one of our players particularly disturbed by this."

Ospreys can make their views known to the match citing commissioner, who will make the final decision on whether any further action is taken. If White eventually faces a disciplinary hearing, he could be hit with a lengthy ban.

Leicester forwards coach Richard Cockerill said he "had no knowledge" of any alleged incidents involving White.
A man does not always need to wear a red nose to be considered a clown
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

I take it that if the citing commissioner does not cite Jules could now sue Ospreys as a body corporate and their hooker and coach as individuals for significant civil damages?

Might it be Ospreys trying to get their defense of Gough in early? As it was with Tincu (who was seen to be knocked to the floor?)

IRB/ECR needs to sort this mess up. They will not of course.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
Mr. Grumpy

Post by Mr. Grumpy »

Absolutely Bill. With Holley saying “The evidence is quite clear. I think we have a duty to eradicate this from our game." Do they also not have the duty to let officials examine the evidence before coming out with statements like this?
A man does not always need to wear a red nose to be considered a clown
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Mr. Grumpy wrote:Absolutely Bill. With Holley saying “The evidence is quite clear. I think we have a duty to eradicate this from our game." Do they also not have the duty to let officials examine the evidence before coming out with statements like this?
Indeed so. And in Law could be held to be seeking to pervert the course of justice.

Incidentally, we equally should eradicate (Ospreys) players thumping other players. The evidence in both cases was quite clear.

Shall pen letter to IRB.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Talking to a citing office at the Treviso game last week, he explained that citings were brought about by:
1. an incident that went unpunished during the game and needed looking into
2. an incident in the game that warranted a red card
3. clubs can bring any incidents to his attention and he will have a look and then decide if a citing should be made.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

I'm quite disturbed by this. I really dislike cheap shot merchants, especially gougers and bag snatchers. I know Jules has a temper but I find it hard to believe he would do this, lamp someone yes, but gouge??

Ospreys do seem to have a track record developing here and so I really hope the powers that be really do investigate this correctly and thoroughly and take the appropriate sanctions (and that includes dealing with false allegations if that be the case).
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Re: Gough punches Castro & White eye gouging?

Post by Big Dai »

I do wish Mr Holley would wind his neck in! If there is an issue just go through the correct channels, JFDI mate! Don't blab and whinge to the press.

It's really very soccer!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

this is getting pathetic, every high profile game they have the accuse someone of something - i come off the pitch every day with some form of mark around may face called by hands, stray limbs etc - which are clearly not done on prupose but could be insinuated as such, Julians style is MUCH more brute force than gouging - if he wanted to hurt you he'd most probably lamp you in the face.

Holley needs to :censored: his mouth - its pathetic, and its no wonder the Spreys fans are sick with his whinging.

Hibbard, on the other hand, was getting animated at Corry - and if screaming and pointing at your eye to the assistant referee is all it takes to incur a citing - we'd best get to it.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

kornboy130 wrote:this is getting pathetic,
Hibbard, on the other hand, was getting animated at Corry - and if screaming and pointing at your eye to the assistant referee is all it takes to incur a citing - we'd best get to it.
I totally agree it is pathetic.

I do not agree we should join in their ridiculous posturing either to get a subsequent citing or, by deliberately running into a stationary player, to gain a penalty.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
crateman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by crateman »

It seemed to me that Hibberds yelling at Corry immediately followed Corry's heavy handed pats on Hibberds head following a collapsed set piece (can't recall if it was a scrum, maul, line-out). Likewise, Goughs punch on Castro appeared to happen immediately after Castro had congratulated his opposite front row on stuffing up a scrum - standard wind up tactics which, if that was all there was to it, certainly didn't merit a smack or citing!
Moose
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Moose »

As kornboy said, players often come up with marks on the face...only last week i had a substantial mark around my right eye, don't think it was from an attempted gouge, but more likely me (as all good props should) leading with my face.