Rambo

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

DTM
Top Cat
Top Cat

Rambo

Post by DTM »

Is it just me or does anyone else thing that when Rabeni comes on, there appears to be more aggression and ability to go forward?

Anyone have any thoughts?

I would play him ahead of Hipkiss.......
Iain D
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Rambo

Post by Iain D »

Yeah, I have to say that I agree. Although, I don't know why it happens. It's not like Hipkiss doesn't take them on in the centres and make ground. For some reason when Rambo came on today there was a marked improvement in penetration and more direct running than we saw for most of the game.
chinnjamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chinnjamie »

Although Rabeni made the difference today, Hipkiss has performed really well this year so i would have to disagree. However he may be given his chance now if Hipkiss is injured
DTM
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by DTM »

I agree with your comments - Hipkiss is playing well, but Rabeni gives the team something extra that I can't put my finger on......more power......like a back row forward with speed, good hands and slight of foot......
chinnjamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chinnjamie »

I also agree with your comments and think Rabeni was one of our best players last season. However that is the first time ive seen him perform this season, but he has been restricted for chances.
Coby

Post by Coby »

I take back anything bad i may have said about Rambo this season, he just pulls it out when its needed! Incredible, now lets work on those hands! I see hipkiss passed today!!
Its No7 nature to never give in, give up or settle for second best.
upthecats
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by upthecats »

Rabeni made a big impact!!!

He does seem to take the ball at full pelt, his timing of his runs is good.

The only thing I would say is that he did go through a patch last year where he couldn't hold anything passed to him.

Hipkiss is my #1 13 at present (he is almost impossible to knock over gives the forwards a great target to put pressure on teams) with Rabeni to come on to crash through those tired legs of the oppostion. They must just love :smt005 seeing him coming on having tackled Hipkiss for the previous 60 mins.
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

It would be too simplistic to say that the introduction of Rabeni was the turning point, but it didn't half help. Let's be honest, he has been poor since his return, but today he was highly effective. The Mauger-Rabeni combination in the last quarter showed promise, although to be fair to Hipkiss he was playing for a Leicester that was very much on the back foot.
Tentpeg

Post by Tentpeg »

Is the impact made purely because he is comng off the bench though? Do we think it would be the same if he was on the pitch for a full 80 minutes?
...and on the second day, the Lord created Welford Road!
Mr. Grumpy

Post by Mr. Grumpy »

He can be something of a one trick pony. It’s a good trick though. And that trick – i.e. running direct at defenders - is probably going to be more effective after 60+ minutes than 10 minutes.

I’ve probably done him down a bit there, but it is very clear what his predominant area of strength to the team is.
A man does not always need to wear a red nose to be considered a clown
Stuart A
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Stuart A »

Seru certainly made a difference when he came on, and like the other comments, I can't quite put my finger on it, as Danny Hipkiss had been playing reasonably well and was certainly getting beyond the gain line on several occassions.

On a slightly wider note it's good to see Seru having an impact and making a positive contribution, especially after all of the negative press he has had over the last 9 months or so, both on and off the pitch.

If I dare say it "size" does matter some times, as Scott Hamilton has shown in the last few games, and maybe more to the point today, Butch James, who despite being a FH is both big and mobile, and it makes a difference.

Perhaps Seru will be able to get a bit of a run in the side now, albeit at DH's unfortunate expense. With Scott Hamilton and Alex Tuilagi as well, we have got options to mix and match sizes in the backs.
Tigers; Number One Club Side in the World
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

I think its quite interesting to compare Rabeni and Hipkiss.

Hipkiss has better acceleration, and with his lower centre of gravity stays on his feet for longer and sets a better target. However, Rabeni is far better at providing an option for his FH or IC. I have no stats to back it up, but I would suggest that whilst Hipkiss' 'yards per carry' average is the better of the two, Rabeni touches the ball more often. The key to using Seru effectively is ensuring that he doesn't get isolated, and that we recycle the ball and work it through the phases. Which of course we did in the last quarter, and is easier to do against tiring defences than it is early doors. Whilst I don't think he is just an 'impact player', his game is such that his effectiveness will increase later in the game.

As an aside, I much prefer Seru at 13 to 12, at least offensively. At IC we can look predictable and narrow, but at OC he's an excellent option for Mauger or Flood to work.
Iain D
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Iain D »

Ok, total speculation here with no data to back it up but...

It seems to me that we are able to get the ball recycled far quicker when Rambo takes it into contact, than we do when Hipkiss does (assuming that the opposition doesn't poach it from us in the ruck). Perhaps its something to do with each centre's body position when they finally do go to ground. Hipkiss tends to keep on his feet and drive forwards a little more upright than Rambo (often keeping his direct line or perhaps drifting out a little away from incoming players). In this regard he probably does carry it a few more yards than Rambo. Whereas Rambo seems to take contact closer to his support and present the ball immediately when he hits the ground.

But then, I could be seeing things or reading way too much into one or two selective memories.
Moose
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Moose »

It's been mentioned elsewhere that Rambo gets tackeled then presents the ball a full arms length away, so the SH won't have to scrabble for it amidst arms and legs etc.

In contrast, DH (having been driven forwards usually) will end up at the bottom of a right pile of bodies, so the scrum half will have to dig the ball out, which takes longer.

I 100% agree with the comments re: Seru fixing defenders - i think it was a big problem from IC across the whole backline that they were drifting across the pitch and narrowing the outside space for the wingers - basic rugby coaching involves running straight, but for approx 60 mins we didn't do it.