Christmas Lights- already?

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiggers
Top Cat
Top Cat

Christmas Lights- already?

Post by Tiggers »

I was driving back on Sunday night through Leicester city centre, and the amount of houses that have christmas lights already on show was unbelievable!
I understand that it is nearly the end of November, but I just seems really early to me.

Is this just me, or do you think so too?? :smt017
:)
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Well I absolutely love Christmas and everything about it, but it has to be special.

if something starts in November and meanders aimlessly through December and fizzles out a bit before New Year, then it ain't special at all. It's just a relentless drag.

Keep Christmas for Christmas. That way, it's bl**dy good fun.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

I believe the main Christmas lights in Leicester, Town Hall Square and so on, were switched on last weekend.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Tiggers
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Tiggers »

Yes, I watched the christmas lights turned on on Sunday, which does seem pretty early. I always thought they turned them on in December??

I love Christmas, I'm not a Scrooge, but I just think that the lights have been turned on really early.
Ha maybe it's just me :smt001
:)
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

No lights in Highbury yet. Either they're burning Big Louie some time soon or Islington Council is too skint to switch them on.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

You miserable lot !....there's a major world recession, terror attacks and general doom and gloom and you don't want Christmas too early !! Some people are never happy !

P.S. Gate...top Christmas Carol which I will be using as I do the rounds in Gloucestershire this Xmas !
soggytiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by soggytiger »

Leicester lights used to be often turned on early as they used the same lights for Dvali(sp)as for Christmas. Here in NL the 5th Dec is the day that Sinterclas and his helper Svart Pieter (literally Black Peter)deliver small presents so we started with lights last weekend. Still slightly bizarre to se lots of people 'blacked up' handing out sweets to kids - PC brigade in UK would have a fit :smt002
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

And if you're a pagan you celebrate Yule, which is the 21st December, with candles, holly and ivy and exchanging small gifts. My decorations usually go up during the first week/second weekend of December.

I suppose another reason for shopping areas doing their lights early is to bring more shoppers in to the shops, many of the smaller shops are really struggling in the credit crunch and every little helps (that was not meant as an advert for a certain supermarket which is attempting to take over the country!)
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Gate wrote:No lights in Highbury yet. Either they're burning Big Louie some time soon or Islington Council is too skint to switch them on.
Islington is probably one of those nutty councils that will decide that Christmas might offend someone.
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

Actually, Islington isn't that bad for PC C-word avoidance - probably has enough merchant bankers and crime families living cheek by jowl to see that sort of behaviour off. Hackney and Haringey are worse, with their Stoke Newington hippies who knit their own muesli from mung beans. Mind you, the worst local authorities for being absurdly solicitous during Advent of the feelings of non-Christians who really don't want self-loathing whitebreads getting all worried on their behalf and ticking off the neighbours they have to live alongside all year round seem to be in the North and Midlands.
Dave W
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dave W »

I was driving through Belper at the weekend and came across BJs house, the little monkey:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/34/72968 ... 550e0e.jpg

:smt016
Never move faster than your guardian angel can fly...
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

A shoe box??? Luxury!

I live in a hole at the bottom of a lake.

(I'd rather do dodgy Monty Python sketches as I avoid every single thing Christmas).
John
---
He is able to lift up a heavy object when that heavy object says "lift me now".
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

What? Yer own hole at bottom of t' lake?

We 'ad ter share ours.

And for Christmas we got nowt but a good hiding, and a Stuart Barnes autograph. By heck we were poor.
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

How the other half live!

I had to make to with Victor Ubogu coming round on Christmas Day, spitting on the turkey, stomping on the satsumas and stabbing at us wildly with a carving knife.
John
---
He is able to lift up a heavy object when that heavy object says "lift me now".
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Ha ! We used to dream of someone spitting on OUR turkey at Christmas. We used to have to get up 3 months before Christmas Day to lick road clean with our tongues to pave the way for Santa, and then we had to knit our own stockings with a some old wool and two sticks, otherwise our Dad would beat us to death wi' broken bottle !