Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

chandler262827
Gold Member
Gold Member

Nonu 'A Bit Upset' by Haka Response

Post by chandler262827 »

http://tinyurl.com/6mhz4o

The poor lamb.

It seems that opposition teams are damned if they do, damned if they don't respond.

In light of recent performances, I'd like to see England leaving them to their dance, and practicing some passing.

However, the best way to wind them up would be a group Braveheart moment:

:butthead: :butthead: :butthead:
---------
I'm not completely worthless, I can be used as a bad example.

Tom
rufcut

Post by rufcut »

They manage to get upset about this at least once a tour-this time it was Wales...tough.

Stay in the changing room or circle them making whooping noises and shooting them with fake colt 45s would be favourite alternatives! :smt023 :smt023 :smt023
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

Strange one to call. If you stand up and accept the 'challenge', then you are disrespectful, if you turn your back and ignore the challenge then you are disrespectful.

If you stand there and let them dance their war dance at you, then they are happy.

I'm not Maori but I saw nothing wrong with Wales. They stood their ground, respected the challenge, accepted the challenge and stared down the challenge. Good on 'em.
John
---
He is able to lift up a heavy object when that heavy object says "lift me now".
kevf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kevf »

bless the little lambs... so its a war dance how exactly does one respond to a bunch of blokes saying come and have a go if you think your hard enough.. do they expect us to roll over and die?
Growing old is mandatory growing up is opiotnal
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Could not England do a Morris Dance?

Would give Barnes something to go Dewi eyed about!
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

kevf wrote:do they expect us to roll over and die?
Yes.

It is a wonderful tradition and should be respected. But I think there is big difference between standing up to the challenge and being disrespectful, and I don't think that some New Zealanders always get that distinction.
John
---
He is able to lift up a heavy object when that heavy object says "lift me now".
seaweed
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by seaweed »

Interesting.

Richie McCaw states 'It was good. It really showed that both teams wanted to play'.

Keven Mealamu ' I thought it was quite respectful actually'.

Jerome Kaino 'They held thier ground and we held our ground'.

So why is Nonu and Henryn complaining ?

Most telling comment -

Gethin jenkins 'It was hard to keep a straight face'.

One of these days someone is going to repond to the Haka with The Birdie Song if certain All Blacks keep being so precious. Can't wait to see it !!
To quote Ray Gravell - You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late.

Owain Glyndŵr now he was a man of vision.
Alwig

Post by Alwig »

I really have no time for this kind of winging from the all blacks. It seems to me that the All Blacks should remember that they're given a free opportunity to get pumped up and intimidate the opposition before every single test match.

No other team is allowed this privelage and as long as no team is disrespectful (Wales were if anything showing their respect by standing their ground in my opinion) I think All Blacks should appreciate this tradition and stop taking it for granted.
Ben the Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Ben the Tiger »

I think that they should remember how privileged they are to be allowed to have this.

Also why didn't they move because if they moved then Wales would have moved as-well so if they are going to winge at Wales then they have to take part of the blame because lets face it they stood there and wouldn't budge until the ref told them too either.

The best thing for England to do is to accept the challenge but what I think would be great is for the crowd to jeer a bit and then break out in Swing low Sweet Chariot for as long and as loud as possible.
Success only comes before work in the dictionary.

"Rugby is a hooligans game played by gentlemen." Winston Churchill
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

I'd either get right in there faces, like cockers did, or leave the pitch completely and let them dance to crowd. I certainly wouldn't stand their and let them bully me.

We could get Ricki Flutey to do a haka back.
Ben the Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Ben the Tiger »

Does anyone think that it should be banned completely? If so then why?

I am not saying that I don't think it should I am undecided. I was just wondering what people on here thought because of all the recent fuss over it.
Success only comes before work in the dictionary.

"Rugby is a hooligans game played by gentlemen." Winston Churchill
Lammy

Post by Lammy »

westy154 wrote:
kevf wrote:do they expect us to roll over and die?
Yes.

It is a wonderful tradition and should be respected. But I think there is big difference between standing up to the challenge and being disrespectful, and I don't think that some New Zealanders always get that distinction.
I agree its a wonderful tradition, but nowadays in name only. The Haka performance of 50 years ago looked more like a Morris Dance than a War dance. If the All Blacks are allowed to change it gradually over time, why are opponents not allowed to introduce their own method of accepting the challenge?
The AB's may well say that opponents should respect the Haka but in my opinion, with all the little extra theatrics that have been included in todays version, it is no longer as traditional as made out.
The AB's should cease moaning and get on with it. After all, if England were to accept the challenge differently on Saturday, history has to start somewhere.
billybudd
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by billybudd »

The Kiwi's are not the only nation allowed to perform the haka, or a version of it. All 3 of the South Pacific nations have their own take on it, and performed one for the recent test match at Twickers.In my opinion only the versions of Tonga, Fiji and Samoa have any credibility. Seeing the white european ethnics performing for New Zealand is laughable, it's nothing but PC posturing by the NZRU and their government. They treat the maoris poorly but do a token culture performance for a game of rugby, never the cricket though?
Lets just knock it on the head. It's 2008 for gods sake, Just anthems and kick off.
What do you think? Lets ask Cockers!!
soggytiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by soggytiger »

Only solution is to unleash the England team Morris dancers on Sat! Johnno leading with the tickling stick?! :smt001