Tom Varndell

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigersfan90
Gold Member
Gold Member

Tom Varndell

Post by Tigersfan90 »

Has anyone else got any opinions on starting Tom Varndell rather than bringing him off the bench? I'm desperate to see him start in the first 15, so he can show what he can do, even if it’s just one chance. Matt Smith did have a good game although it's hard to compare their current games when Varndell isn't getting a chance. I don't think putting pressure on him like in the final minutes of the game is doing him any favours.

I'd hate to see him leave Leicester.
Guinness Premiership Champions & Heineken Cup Finalists 2009
Tigers never give up !
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

Matt Smith and Johne Murphy seem to be doing alright at the moment.
If it's not broken, don't fix it!
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Judging by his performance today in defence, he's lucky to make the bench.
Valhalla I am coming!
Moose
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Moose »

It did rather seem that as soon as he came on Quins targeted his wing...his tactic of ushering didn't work either as the player quite happily stepped infield and went through the gap, or that's what it looked like from where i was sitting.

Mind you, he must be pretty cheesed off - we start shipping the ball down the line and get a couple of tries as a result and he's benchwarming.
crateman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by crateman »

Personally, I'd love to see him get more game time but he's got some decent opposition. I suspect a score was on yesterday had Hamilton been familiar with his strengths. Breaking out down the left wing with tv outside and little defence ahead, a kick through seemed the preferred option, but Hamilton missed the chance. Needs to settle in a bit I think.

And if people are knocking defensive frailties, how about the fact that tv took down the quins centre on half way, only for a prop to pick up the pass and run in, bouncing Hamilton and A N Other en route? Again, not having a go at the new boy (I thought he had a good game overall and look forward to seeing more), just suggesting folks take a less critical view of a great assett. We all know that tv, when given game time and a bit of space will score tries, lots of them, so what say we get off his back.
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

Varndell is a confidence player who plays well when he plays often. He loses confidence and form when he is dropped to the bench. It happened two seasons ago when Pat Howard kept dropping him.

But it is not tigers problem since today the modern game is a squad game so he needs to play well even when he comes off the bench.
Always a Tiger
Tyler
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tyler »

Skin_and_Muscle wrote:Matt Smith and Johne Murphy seem to be doing alright at the moment.
If it's not broken, don't fix it!
Smith is developing nicely and will be the find of the season! That try/not try was absoluteley superb! :smt041 Had the pleasure of meeting him last week and the chap is a true gent.

As for our Johnne Murphy again he's becoming a real gem with his lines of running and his defense as Skin says if it ain't broke , don't fix it! :smt023

Mr Varndell is a bit of a one trick pony thus his nickname coming into being! But he'll have his time on firmer ground this season. :smt077
The maul is back! JUSTICE !
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

I understand that Tom is going through some very unsettling problems in his personal life. I will not elaborate but due to this, he has not been 100% focused on his job and therefore has not been selected. He is, as those of us who went to Treviso would have seen, very much part of the 1st XV and I hope that when he is more settled then he will be a regular starter for the Tigers. I just wish him all the best for his future and look forward to see him showing all just how good aplayer he can be.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat