Leicester v Sale

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigermad
Super User
Super User

Leicester v Sale

Post by tigermad »

Leicester face a tough encounter with Sale in the EDF Energy Cup but should get the win. A lot of changes seem likely with 6 members of the first team already called away to the England squad. Craig Newby could well get his first start in a Tigers shirt following his move from Otago and again team selection will be key depending upon player availablity and injuries. What do you think?

:smt006 :smt006 :smt006 :smt006
Philip J Gray
FlyingTiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by FlyingTiger »

Depends who Sale pick? IMO I can't see Bath getting past Cardiff and even if they did I would think that Cardiff will get a losing bonus point. As a non-supporter of the EDF Cup anyway, I would put out a dev side to get newcomers and the returning injured a full game to build the team on the the AI weeks.
The severity of the itch is inversely proportional to the reach
Former Prop
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Former Prop »

According to Radio Leicester (yep, occasionally they do report on rugby) Newby, Moody and Varndell will start and Corry, Julian and Geordan will be 'rested'.
Our period of waiting is over - this is the time.
Alatoruk

Post by Alatoruk »

FlyingTiger wrote:I would put out a dev side to get newcomers and the returning injured a full game to build the team on the the AI weeks.
whilst I agree with your comments re Cardiff and Bath I think we have got to put out a side with the intention of scoring 4 tries and winning just in case the mathematics go our way.

it was only mathematically possible that we qualified for the play-offs last year with 1 game to go, but I seem to remember a green stripy team playing in the final.

besides, I got odds of 208 to 1 against us doing the treble so I cant give up yet.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Former Prop wrote:According to Radio Leicester (yep, occasionally they do report on rugby) Newby, Moody and Varndell will start and Corry, Julian and Geordan will be 'rested'.
Moody i thought he was out for the rest of the year... that is good news if true
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Chobbsy wrote:
Former Prop wrote:According to Radio Leicester (yep, occasionally they do report on rugby) Newby, Moody and Varndell will start and Corry, Julian and Geordan will be 'rested'.
Moody i thought he was out for the rest of the year... that is good news if true
I thought I read on another thread it was 1-2 weeks for Moody. He must be ready as HM said he was injuring other players on the training pitch. Let hope he and Craig Newby work well together. I see on the home page that Ben Herring is up and about - lets hope he is not too far away from a return. Handy backrow of Newby Herring and Moody.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
bandido58

Post by bandido58 »

I thought I read on another thread it was 1-2 weeks for Moody. He must be ready as HM said he was injuring other players on the training pitch. Let hope he and Craig Newby work well together. I see on the home page that Ben Herring is up and about - lets hope he is not too far away from a return. Handy backrow of Newby Herring and Moody.[/quote]

Now that really would be tasty, presume Newby at 8 Moody at 6 and Herring at 7.
once a tiger always a tiger
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Source: RFU website

A total of eight England Senior EPS players are returning to their Guinness Premiership clubs this evening. They are as follows:

Olly Barkley - Gloucester Rugby
George Chuter - Leicester Tigers
Jordan Crane - Leicester Tigers
Shane Geraghty - London Irish
Dan Hipkiss - Leicester Tigers
Josh Lewsey - London Wasps
Tim Payne - London Wasps
Pete Richards - London Irish

So will the Tigers players play against Sale?
bandido58

Post by bandido58 »

drc_007 wrote:Source: RFU website

A total of eight England Senior EPS players are returning to their Guinness Premiership clubs this evening. They are as follows:

Olly Barkley - Gloucester Rugby
George Chuter - Leicester Tigers
Jordan Crane - Leicester Tigers
Shane Geraghty - London Irish
Dan Hipkiss - Leicester Tigers
Josh Lewsey - London Wasps
Tim Payne - London Wasps
Pete Richards - London Irish

So will the Tigers players play against Sale?
Can't understand the reasoning behind sending Jordan home but could see logic in the others if they're not going to figure. Surely Jordan deserves a game? still Englands loss is tigers' gain.

We'll just have to put up with it and field a back row of Crane, Moody and Newby!!!!
once a tiger always a tiger
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

If Narraway is fit then I guess he was always likely to be first choice, with Croft at 6, the bench position would then be someone who can cover 6 or 8 (Haskell).

I'm sure Jordan's time will come.
Goffer3404
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goffer3404 »

I could live with that back row bandido!
Daveyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Daveyboy »

Perhaps it's just me but I really can't see what Narraway (even when fully fit) offers above and beyond several other contenders for the England No 8 jersey.

Diehard Shedheads will no doubt disagree but I just can't see it myself. :smt009
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
smalldell
Gold Member
Gold Member

GIVE CRANE A REST

Post by smalldell »

I hope Crane is given time off personally..he has been playing relentlessly this season and needs to recharge his batteries.

Of course Mayer will weight him up psycholigically and decide what is best for him, so if Mayer thinks he would be better off playing then thats good enough for me.
gooders060981
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by gooders060981 »

Tigers by 10 :smt023
Geordan Murphy for England