Toby Floods try - please explain

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tom Tom
Silver Member
Silver Member

Toby Floods try - please explain

Post by Tom Tom »

:smt017 Does anyone know why when Toby crossed the try line for his try he went away from the posts towards the ticket office corner and grounded it nearly on the touch line rather than going towards the posts. (He did not seem in any rush to ground the ball either).
This would have made his conversion easier and he may have even got it over.
It is not as if he was under great pressure from any stains players at the time.
I am just confused. :smt017
May you be in heaven half an hour before the Devil knows you're dead!
maskedsquid
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by maskedsquid »

To run the clock down a bit. The conversion was unlikely to make any difference to the outcome.
It's only cheating if you get caught.
Tom Tom
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tom Tom »

maskedsquid wrote:To run the clock down a bit. The conversion was unlikely to make any difference to the outcome.
Thanks.
I can't see that because Tigers kept the ball in play at full time, I guess in an attempt to get another try for a bonus point for 4 trys' (tries?)
Suz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Suz »

I was wondering that, I thought for a second that the ref had blown up for something back up the field. Obviously not but that was my first reaction, made hard work for himself in the end!
"The beast got us, the Leicester beast."
maskedsquid
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by maskedsquid »

Tom Tom wrote:
maskedsquid wrote:To run the clock down a bit. The conversion was unlikely to make any difference to the outcome.
Thanks.
I can't see that because Tigers kept the ball in play at full time, I guess in an attempt to get another try for a bonus point for 4 trys' (tries?)
Yeah I'd guess the last phase of play was because Tigers knew another try would bring them a bonus point, but I doubt Flood would have expected his side to be in a scoring position again when he was standing in the corner with just 2 minutes left.
It's only cheating if you get caught.
gooders060981
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by gooders060981 »

Suz wrote:I was wondering that, I thought for a second that the ref had blown up for something back up the field. Obviously not but that was my first reaction, made hard work for himself in the end!
I thought the same thing, I was cheering and clapping and then felt a prat as I thought the ref had not given it. Dont thing we where alone as the whole of Welford Rd cheered and clapped and then suddenly went very quiet
Geordan Murphy for England
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

I remember Johnno doing something similar and couldn't understand that either. My mate reckons Carlos Spencer got his nickname 'King' Carlos for performing a similar trick in NZ. He got called King because he kicked it. If you're going to showboat its best to ensure you're up to it. I'm afraid our Toby just isn't a good enough kicker, yet.

Personally I think the place for little in jokes is on the training pitch, not when you're being very well paid to come up with the goods. OK, it didn't cost the match and it may just have been rubbing some noses in it. Either way I think Spencer had the last laugh as he is a good enough kicker.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
Iain D
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Iain D »

I don't know about Spencer's kicking abilities these days. Maybe its the soft ground, or cold weather or something.. but if he were a great kicker Saints wouldn't be mostly relying on Reihana - who (good player though his is) is no Jonny W with the boot.

Myler seems to be able to kick a bit though,....
unohoo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by unohoo »

GS wrote:I remember Johnno doing something similar and couldn't understand that either. My mate reckons Carlos Spencer got his nickname 'King' Carlos for performing a similar trick in NZ. He got called King because he kicked it. If you're going to showboat its best to ensure you're up to it. I'm afraid our Toby just isn't a good enough kicker, yet.

Personally I think the place for little in jokes is on the training pitch, not when you're being very well paid to come up with the goods. OK, it didn't cost the match and it may just have been rubbing some noses in it. Either way I think Spencer had the last laugh as he is a good enough kicker.
Goodey would have got it....
boondock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by boondock »

at the time it seemed to me flood was trying to run the clock down a bit.

he wasnt the only one surprised both teams then played full out for another score, us to secure a bonus point, you for the 4th try long after the clock wound down. made him look a bit stupid, given his kicking performance last night.

spencer was well known for once running under the posts then out to the side line to ground a try, slotting the conversion to deny the opposition a losing bonus point in a derby game back in nz. he has never really kicked for us, & been very hot and cold when the goal kicking has had to go to him.

myler is kicking very well - 100% in the 2 and a bit games he has played in this season, plus a drop goal pretty much from the half way line against sarries last weekend. having a reliable kicker makes a nice change - bit of work in one or two other areas and we'll be fine.
"I don't recall Boondock posting inflammatory comments on here. I can see nothing wrong with him, except for him being a Saint..." westy154 18/03/08
mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Toby floods try - please explain

Post by mike »

Childish and immature behaviour . I hope HM gave him a b******* as those 2 points might be crucial in another match . I think Flood is a big improvement on Goode , but he isn't anywhere near good enough to showboat like that . He needs to kick all his goals and make all his tackles before he starts posing .
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Harsh mike. Harsh.

I like a bit of showboating!

Particularly when we win!
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
Iain D
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Iain D »

Its all well and good giving it when we win the bragging rights.. so long as we can take it when it gets dished out to us!
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Re: Toby floods try - please explain

Post by kornboy130 »

mike wrote:Childish and immature behaviour . I hope HM gave him a b******* as those 2 points might be crucial in another match . I think Flood is a big improvement on Goode , but he isn't anywhere near good enough to showboat like that . He needs to kick all his goals and make all his tackles before he starts posing .
If it had mattered i doubt he would have, he did make all his tackles if i recall mind.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

I doubt he was showboating - he's not that type of player. I think he saw the man on his inside and thought he would go into the corner to waste some time. Not a great decision but hardly the worst of all time.

I reckon the opportunism he showed scoring the try outweighed his little transgression somewhat! :smt023