The next RWC will be in England!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BenWL
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by BenWL »

I can hardly wait...! :smt002

Good to see they are spreading the message across the whole country by holding it in "south west London"

Olympics, Womens Rugby World Cup, BBC, Government........all London biased.

I was amazed when I heard that the National Watersports Centre in Nottingham is not being used for the Olympics. Apparently they are building one in London...! :smt017
I'm the one in the Tigers shirt on the 22. You can't miss me...!
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

Not only are they building a new watersports venue in London they were going to close Nottingham as it is old and surplus to requirements. So much for the Olympics being good for sport throughout the country. Oh, I forgot. The country ends at the M25. Outside that it's a barren wilderness.

Don't get me started............

If you want to do good for sport pump £9 billion into facilities and instructors nationwide instead of a one shot ego trip.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
BenWL
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by BenWL »

My head office is in London and I have a standing jibe with them about the M25...! They are so insular it's frightening and some daren't venture beyond the North Circular...!

I feel a rant comimg on. I may need to sit down....
BenWL
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by BenWL »

Parochial and small minded as we are in this country Nottingham is only 2 hours from London. I heard some stories that it took some atheletes over that time to get to their event in Bejing and Atlanta because of congestion.

The showjumping at the Bejing Games was in Hong Kong which is a lot further than that. Whilst I am aware of the reasons behind that decision it still made no difference to the entire event.

I'm sure you're aware BJ that the only reason it is London 2012 is because it is easier to sell that overseas and to the IOC. It is a recognisable brand the world over. We were all told that it would spread across the whole country and we would all benefit yet that appears to be nonsense.
tommill

Post by tommill »

BelperJon wrote:
BenWL wrote:I was amazed when I heard that the National Watersports Centre in Nottingham is not being used for the Olympics. Apparently they are building one in London...! :smt017
Why should the NWC in Nottingham be used for the Olympics? It is not England, GB or the UK that is hosting the 2012 Games, it is London.
If it is London holding the games why is the sailing in Weymouth?
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

BelperJon wrote:Why should the NWC in Nottingham be used for the Olympics? It is not England, GB or the UK that is hosting the 2012 Games, it is London.
Quite so.

London's games.

Therefore I won't be going to see any of it.

As previous posters have said, far to many events are staged in this inaccessible cess pit.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

When Brum bid for them no one was interested. Same when Manchester bid for them. But London - and there's a queue a mile long of people wanting to jump on the bandwagon. Good luck to them, but I'll only be happy when there's a box on my tax form that says 'Tick here if you wish to contribute to London's Olympic Games'.

I also think it was shameful at best to see an advert on the TV asking for donations to help support the GB Paralympic team when they're pouring all that money into hosting the games.

See, you've got me started and Rizzo or Tigerbeat will be here in a minute locking the thread because its gone off topic.

"In England there are now more than 550 affiliated clubs playing rugby and more than 12,000 women and girls taking part. "

So why not spread it around and help those clubs outside SW London develop and grow? Hrruuummmmpppppphhhhhhh. I'm off again.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

So back on topic, this tournament could have been played at grounds close to the Midlands motorway system and not far from the InterCity rail links.

That way, fans as far afield as Newcastle, Cornwall, Sale and errr High Wycombe would all be able to get to grounds within a few hours.

But for me, whenever I've gone to Twickenham I've been out the house by 7 a.m. and not back until around midnight.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

Well, there you go Kinny. You live in the land of grim, poverty and permafrost. All of absolutely no interest to the civilised southerners. They don't want your (and my) sort down there spoiling it for them. (My sort don't have quite so much permafrost - just ask any southerner.)

What I don't understand is how could the RFU bid for the tournament succeed when they don't even know what grounds will be used, let alone how parochial it will be?