Top of the table and still not firing?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigerbeat

Top of the table and still not firing?

Post by Tigerbeat »

Not a bad start to the season, three wins from three.

Three games that we could quite easily have lost!!!!

As Heyneke Meyer said last wwek he would prefer to win ugly that lose with great play.

If the backroom staff can manage the rehab of the injured players it looks like being a very interesting season.

Still more to come from the team but I am happy that we are in the current position.

Wasps - Three losses from three. Next week promises to be a real hum dinger of a game. Looking forward to it.

PS. Anyone go to Worcester today? Did we pick up any injuries?
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
woutster

Post by woutster »

Based on the commentary, I think Dupuy went off injured... hope not!
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

A great start to the season.

And two away wins!!!

KEEP THE FAITH!
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
sammy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sammy »

Not a bad showing.

Dupuy was sensational. The number nine shirt is his.

Ben Herring played well, yet again. Geordan also had a blinder.

Flood was ok, but Mauger was woeful again and Matt Smith will never make it. So to beat Wuss, without a centre, was a pretty decent effort.

But I agree, we're not firing yet. Still, 3 from 3'll do me.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

I like Meyer's comments, saying that we are a long way from what he wants. He mentions fitness which has clearly been worked on pre-season and some of the scrambling defence has been top class. By the sound of it, Tom Croft saved the day at the death. One thing is clear, the likes of Irish, Wuss etc are not going to lie down and watch the tries rain in.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Tries will not rain in unless the threes pass the pill rather than boot it aimlessly!
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Top of the table and still not firing

Post by Ian Cant »

Went to Worcester and sadly Dupuy and J.Murphy both limped off. Great game by Dupuy ,Flood and J.Murphy.
Hope Murphy isn't badly injured because he was brilliant in defence and attack yesterday. He has a great rugby brain and I wonder if he could play centre because this is where our problems stem from at the moment.
pogue3
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by pogue3 »

geordan was man of the match IMO. he was everywhere. dupuy is a brilliant signing and is playing a lot better than harry. the speed in which he got the ball out and constantly had the back line moving. i did notice tigers putting a lot of width on the ball yesterday and tried to stretch wuss.
Matt Smith seemed to struggle and isn't up to the mark yet. I am a little concerned with TV. OK he was starved of a lot of ball yesterday but sometimes when he is about to run onto contact he seems to slow down like he doesnt want to take the hit. some more aggresive running please Tom and go looking for the ball a bit more!!!
Ben kay should be dropped to bench. i think it was him that let the try in for wuss when he dint make his tackle around the fringes of the ruck. he also gave a couple of penalties away and wentzel offered so much more when he came on.
Herring was outstanding again and is THE in form openside in the premiership to date. Crane was his usual abrasive self and tom croft had another good game. quality back row.
it was a close game and I really enjoyed it apart from a lot of stoppages. wuss is a :censored: difficult place to go and win so would take a 2 point victory. what is even more pleasing is that we are no way near our best.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Thanks for the anlysis Pogue - better than in the papers!

Agree about Varndell based on home games and TV highlights. IMHO he is better as a player injecting speed from the bench later in the game. Until he chases down the ball and commits himself in the contact areas, he is not a starting player. Seru or Johne a better bet.

I'm surprised that Wentzl does'nt start for us. And to think that Herring was all but rejected last season.....
Valhalla I am coming!
Cyprus Tiger

Progression

Post by Cyprus Tiger »

Hi If by other comments and i also agree we are playing as we are and still winning when we do start firing its gonna be one hell of a season. For obvious reasons i cannot be at the games but never miss them on the internet or tv but i do feel we have got to do something about Toby Flood as kicker, was he bought as a kicker if not we should find some help his general play seems great but his kicking is letting us down at the moment. What do you lot think who should be kicking?.
Daveyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Daveyboy »

Dupuy as a kicker. And Hoogard, when fit and available is a strong contender.
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
hugh78
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by hugh78 »

I thought the press write ups of the game were pretty decent - in fact for all three games the press seem to be praising tigers spirit/resilience and acknowledging that its not quite clicking yet...(nothing approaching the 'disorganised' nature of last season)

Kicking will be interesting when Hougaard is fit, if he is on form it will be an interesting call - by my understanding he kicks well and is direct,where Flood is more dynamic...you can also see Dupuy,Hougaard and Flood on the pitch at the same time in some games if Mauger's out..spoilt for choice?

Roll on more players being fit + Newby + AN other winger + defence coach turning up! Until then we must keep grinding the wins out!
The Tigress

Post by The Tigress »

Pogue 3 wrote:
I am a little concerned with TV. OK he was starved of a lot of ball yesterday but sometimes when he is about to run onto contact he seems to slow down like he doesnt want to take the hit. some more aggresive running please Tom and go looking for the ball a bit more!!!

I hate to point this out but this is exactly what I've been saying all along. However, I took quite a lot of stick when I posted similar thoughts on TV!! :smt012 Glad a few people agree with me now.
Smile-its contagious ;)
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

pogue3 wrote:geordan was man of the match IMO. he was everywhere.
Whilst agreeing with some of pogue3's analysis, particularly that of Kay v Wentzel, I have to take issue with the choice of Geordan as MOTM. He kicked away possession three times when Tigers were pressing, and got skinned by Benjamin. I think that some of Geordie's decision making has been questionable lately, with yesterday being the worst example.

MOTM for me was Corry; outstanding, got through a huge amount of graft. Which helps to create yet another (welcome) selection headache.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

If you criticise TV on this forum, you shouldn't worry about the stick you'll get.

What you should worry about is which part of you wants to replace him with someone who scores fewer tries.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!