Mauger / Morris

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jonnyatom5

Post by jonnyatom5 »

Kinoulton wrote:If we're playing "Champagne Rugby" with the ball fizzing around the backs and people making incisive, intricate runs right, left and centre, then Hipkiss may have the odd thing to improve.

But within the type of rugby we've ACTUALLY played for the last two seasons, his gravity-defying ability to hang onto the ball and stay on his feet even when the fatties are hanging off him, gets us out of jail an awful lot.

He's a tough nut to crack, and I like him.
I agree whole heartedly, Hipkiss can be a tad one dimensional, very good at it and it helps, but he needs to be playing more intelligent rugby to work off Mauger and maybe Flood. Hopefully the new coaches can implement sessions into his training to make running appropriate lines off the centre really work.

It's an exciting time and I'm looking forward to what the team can bring to the game.

New rules, new players, new coaches and an old Welford Road crowd behind em makes for a fascinating season.
k1
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by k1 »

IMHO Erinle showed the best support play outside Mauger last season. I'd like to see him given a run to prove himself. Nothing against Hipkiss - I think he's a good player and has his attributes. But, he doesn't seem to link well with Mauger and doesn't seem to be able to exploit the acres of space Mauger creates.

On Mauger - I really don't understand his critics. I don't mean to belittle anyone's opinion, but any understanding of centre play reveals that he is one of the best 12s in the world (if not the best). He breaks the line almost routinely, creates space and is fantastic at offloading the ball. IMHO, there are a core group of fans who decided early on that they didn't like him and no matter what he does they won't change their mind.

I was stood in the Crumbie towards the end of last season and heard 2 fans whittering on about how useless he is. He then made a textbook sidestep, threw the defence of balance, broke the line and made almost 20 metres before being tackled. Nobody went with him. The 2 critics then bemoaned him for being greedy and trying to do it all himself!!! What do you want? A player who makes the breaks and creates space, only to be left stranded because his teammates don't follow him? Or a player who stands still, doesn't break the line, where the pinnacle of creativity is either a flat pass to static backs or a hopeful chip 'n' chase?

If it's the latter, he can now be seen playing at Brive
Crivvens
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crivvens »

k1 wrote:
On Mauger - I really don't understand his critics. I don't mean to belittle anyone's opinion, but any understanding of centre play reveals that he is one of the best 12s in the world (if not the best). He breaks the line almost routinely, creates space and is fantastic at offloading the ball. IMHO, there are a core group of fans who decided early on that they didn't like him and no matter what he does they won't change their mind.

I was stood in the Crumbie towards the end of last season and heard 2 fans whittering on about how useless he is. He then made a textbook sidestep, threw the defence of balance, broke the line and made almost 20 metres before being tackled. Nobody went with him. The 2 critics then bemoaned him for being greedy and trying to do it all himself!!! What do you want? A player who makes the breaks and creates space, only to be left stranded because his teammates don't follow him? Or a player who stands still, doesn't break the line, where the pinnacle of creativity is either a flat pass to static backs or a hopeful chip 'n' chase?
Spot on, well said.
Blimey...
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

That's just Welford Road whingers - they have to have something to complain about or life is lacking. There was a prime example from the old flatulator behind me at the Force match, who kept on moaning about Flood being just like Goodey and not in a good way. I felt like gagging him with his tartan blanket and then beating him over the head with the Aladdin flask.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Gate wrote:That's just Welford Road whingers - they have to have something to complain about or life is lacking. There was a prime example from the old flatulator behind me at the Force match, who kept on moaning about Flood being just like Goodey and not in a good way. I felt like gagging him with his tartan blanket and then beating him over the head with the Aladdin flask.
But being the gentleman that you are you just ignored him!
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

Gate wrote:That's just Welford Road whingers - they have to have something to complain about or life is lacking. There was a prime example from the old flatulator behind me at the Force match, who kept on moaning about Flood being just like Goodey and not in a good way. I felt like gagging him with his tartan blanket and then beating him over the head with the Aladdin flask.
I do wonder about some people sometimes...
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

kornboy130 wrote: I do wonder about some people sometimes...
Ah but Kornboy, every one is a little strange apart from thee and me, and I wonder bout thee sometimes!
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
Snorbins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Snorbins »

Bill, shame on your politically correct attitude in bastardising the saying.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Snorbins wrote:Bill, shame on your politically correct attitude in bastardising the saying.
I am reminded of the two versions of the film "The officer and a gentleman"

One had the phrase "queers and steers"

The other "gays and strays".

I think I did rather better!!!

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
Crivvens
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crivvens »

gimme wrote:It`s good that we can all express our own opinions on here, I`m not forcing mine on you all, just saying.
Darren Morris had some great moments, good hands etc, but there you go, only as good as your last game, I reckon Mauger is the same, and cant live on the past, All Blacks are only players after all, I hope he proves to be the best again, nothing would make me happier, but I don`t think he`s cutting it thats all.
Prove me wrong please Mr Mauger, lets win it all
Hopefully he went someway to proving you wrong with some scintillating breaks today.
Blimey...
gimme
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by gimme »

some supurb handling skills without a doubt, one flick pass in particular, quick hands. loopy pass too, defence organisation on their first try, wow, that was just brilliant, 2 man overlap on a plate, but there you go................suckered. !
Maybe all will be sorted eventually, however, you are the weakest link, goodbye.
Time will tell.. !
Ben Herring...AWESOME,. along with the rest of the squad of course.
that`s me. gme. let your fingers do the walking
Roll on Christmas, let`s have some nuts
AND
(don`t forget Sheila`s bread pudding)
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

Bill W wrote:
kornboy130 wrote: I do wonder about some people sometimes...
Ah but Kornboy, every one is a little strange apart from thee and me, and I wonder bout thee sometimes!
i was passing comment on the person who sat behind gate - theres a similar guy who sits quite near me - one match the guy two rows infront turned round and nearly did hit him with a Verbal aladdins flask.
gimme
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by gimme »

its a good job Ivan made the break to hand a try on a plate to JM........we would`ve looked a lot sadder without that try...
nice one Ivan, now for the rest of the walk :smt023
AND
Mat
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mat »

Mauger is too good for the rest of the Tigers back line they have no idea how to play running rugby. He ia the only class act in the line up.

We also still do not an opne side who links the backs and forwards and still no fly half who can run a game!
gimme
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by gimme »

good No. 10 point that one,
AND