Floating Centres

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Floating Centres

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

Who should we play as centres? I suggested on Caucau thread that the 10,12,13 should be Hougaard, Flood and Mauger. Dailywaffle you didnt agree but dont you think it would keep the opposition guessing especially if the two interchanged during the game. The breaks could come from the centres and the chances of the ball getting to the wingers would be much better than playing Hipkiss or Rabeni at outside centre. Another combination could be Flood, Mauger, Erinle
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

I have to say I do not see Mauger as an outside centre. Floating vetnres are fine within a suitable game plan.
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

I think if our new backs coach has half of what Paddy had then we should have a game plan to bring best out of the fantastic centres we have. I feel we have quality players Flood, Mauger, Hipkiss, Erinle, Vesty, Rabeni plus several youngsters who if they play heads up rugby will rip most defences up. I am glad I dont have to coach the backs though!!!!!!

If we gel then the tries should come in equal measure from all of our backs. I dont expect this to happen overnight so I hope the fans dont get on the backs of the players if they make mistakes in the early games in the season even if we lose games
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Lose games!!! Pardon???? This will not happen!!!!!

KEEP THE FAITH!!
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Re: Floating Centres

Post by dailywaffle »

Fatonerocks wrote:Who should we play as centres? I suggested on Caucau thread that the 10,12,13 should be Hougaard, Flood and Mauger. Dailywaffle you didnt agree but dont you think it would keep the opposition guessing especially if the two interchanged during the game. The breaks could come from the centres and the chances of the ball getting to the wingers would be much better than playing Hipkiss or Rabeni at outside centre. Another combination could be Flood, Mauger, Erinle
Not necessarily. I can't think of any reason why I would want to play a footballing second five-eighth like Mauger at 13.

Of course, it depends on what type of game you want to play. Someone like Mauger is a more technical player, who creates space for someone with more pace and power to exploit. If you prefer a more simple, direct gameplan then you play someone like Rabeni at IC and Hipkiss at OC (or vice versa); easier to coach but also easier to defend against.
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Bill my point is that we DO keep the faith while new ideas are brought in. In the real world we do lose(hopefully only occasionally. Dont forget we have won one, lost one so far.

Fortress Welford Road will only return if we get behind the whole team
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

We shall fight them in the front row, and drive them from the second row, our back row will dominate the breakdown. At half back we will be creative, our centres incisive, our wings fleet of foot and elusive. Our full back will be sound in defence and under the high ball, and will enter the line with speed and incursion. And we will never surrender.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Daillywaffle personally i agree that Mauger is a brilliant inside centre and that would be where I would put him. However if Hougaard plays at 10 and Mauger at 12 what would you do with Flood?
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Bench

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Bill I BELIEVE!!!!

What a stirring speach

Go Bill Go
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Bench.
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Quality player like Flood on the Bench???

Nice headache for the coach dont you think
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Yep!

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Fatonerocks wrote:Quality player like Flood on the Bench???
If Hougaard is at 10 and Mauger at 12, which is the scenario you describe, then yes. Just because someone is quality doesn't mean that you try to shoe-horn them into the side. You wouldn't play Geordan Murphy at 13 just because he's quality.

It will be interesting to see how Meyer handles the Flood, Hougaard, Mauger dynamic.
k1
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by k1 »

How long will Flood be with England for - 3 months??

How long is the season - 8/9 months??

That's a third of the season away from the club, so Hougaard, if he's not first choice, will get significant gametime then.

I don't really see that it's a problem, but Mauger MUST start at 12 if the backline is going to produce anything.