people on power trip's are ruining this forum!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tiger_ed87

people on power trip's are ruining this forum!

Post by tiger_ed87 »

'Moderators' please stop moaning about duplicate threads, and then just locking them!!

It makes no sense. I know there a duplicate threads, but there are numerous questions within them, and to have to scroll through people having little private jokes, and conversations that have nothing to do with the thread to discover what I want is just a waste of time.

I don't have problems with the jokes on the thread, and understand that it is a large part of the forum, but if I want to ask a question, even if its been asked, and maybe god forbid that I didn't log on when it was originally raised 3 weeks ago, I should be able to ask it without people locking it!!

If you are going to moderate and constantly moan about duplicate threads, stop the meaningless conversations with in each thread that have nothing to do with what's going on because its dross! And if you allow the dross (which I would have no problem with at all, and occasionally enjoy) then allow duplicate threads!

And stop locking threads, its supposed to be an open forum, where people can write what they want! that's the point!!
kevf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kevf »

i think if thread are to be locked because of duplicates a link should be added to the duplicate... we don't want to have to trawl 3 threads to get our answer... but if you do lock them why not just link them ( i think you normally do.. could wrong)

tiger_ed87 its common practice in most forums to lock duplicates so as to get all the answers in 1 place.. saves people trawling all over when something has already been answered.. but i do see your point...

as for the banter/jokes/quips adds to the life of the forum....

IMHO
Growing old is mandatory growing up is opiotnal
tiger_ed87

Post by tiger_ed87 »

I completely agree that it adds life to the forum, and as I said I don't have a problem with it.

All I am trying to say, is people should just let things run. If you don't want to look at a thread, don't look at it.

You shouldn't lock threads, when people have begun conversation just because it's on duplicate topic

And yes of course it's common practise to lock threads, but not only after an hour, when someone has asked a legitimate question.

These forums are all about being able to write & read what you want, express your own individual opinion. If I wanted to start a new thread with regards to the New shirt etc., the chances are I will be directed to another thread about the new shirt, but that doesn't mean it answers my individual question. So I'm left reading private jokes and conversations (again, no problem with them at all) for ages, and never get my question answered.

And that's all because moderators push their weight around with no actual reason or purpose.
big john
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by big john »

tiger_ed87- very good points

V- i can see what you are trying to say but hey lets get to the point it all comes down to what the Mods feel like and not so much rules.

I bet that there had been loads of topics slating Andy Goode in a Tigers shirt over the last 2 season so why did we get new ones this time around as it is a duplicate (extreme i know but rules are rules and thats how the mods like it) so its rules are rules but mods can change them when they like from hour to hour in some cases.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

It's not a "power trip" believe me, I get no feeling of "power" from doing a voluntary job to help the Club I support and my fellow forum users (or so I would like to think).

Duplicates are locked because
(a) it makes the forum tidier and easier to read
(b) it saves bandwidth
(c) it makes the forum easier to moderate
(d) mostly people seem to prefer not to have several threads running at once on the same subject.

I appreciate some people may not have time (or inclination) to scroll down several pages, you can always try the "search" function at the top and enter a keyword which will bring up all recent discussions with that word in the subject, for example if I were to enter "Hernandez" I'm sure there would be quite a few threads pop up with that word!

As for the suggested prevention or editing of "meaningless conversation, jokes, dross" etc, all I can say is that one man's dross is another man's enjoyment, and unless something goes wildly off topic or bickering gets out of hand, there is no requirement for moderators to do anything. And if we try to bring things back on topic, people complain about that too! :smt002

Please don't take the locking of a thread you have started or posted on as a personal insult. It's meant to make the forum tidier and life a bit simpler for everyone. Certainly we get more complaints about duplicate threads than we do about locking them.
Kev, yes, we do usually post a link to the most current and popular discussion on that particular subject before locking, unless someone has already given a link.

Lastly, remember you also agree to abide by forum rules when you register here, and the rules do say "You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should they see fit."
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
k1
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by k1 »

I can understand a thread being locked if there is abuse, if the conversation goes wildly off topic, etc.

But, I don't understand why duplicates are locked. If someone wants to ask a question, they should be allowed to ask it - regardless of whether or not it has been asked before. If others choose not to respond because it has been asked before/is currently being discussed on another thread then that's their choice and the individual who asked the question won't get their answer - no great loss.

A lot of regular users are helpful enough to provide a link to another thread - leave things be, IMO.

Also, I don't like the way a thread can be locked because 2 or 3 individuals turn the thread into a personal duel (even if it goes off topic). When this occurs it means those who are not involved in "the duel" cannot respond. Perhaps moderators could ask the individuals concerned to stay on topic or cut out the bickering before locking the thread. I wanted to respond to a point someone made a couple of days ago but couldn't because the thread had been locked. I know moderators have a tough job keeping an eye on things, so I don't want to sound as they I'm having a dig. :smt001
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Don't worry, I'm quite used to the fact that whatever I do, someone will object and complain.
Perhaps moderators could ask the individuals concerned to stay on topic or cut out the bickering before locking the thread
We do try to do this, honestly!
Demelza - another Mother
tiger_ed87

Post by tiger_ed87 »

sorry...power trip was/is certainly the wrong term. I understand that you get no feeling of power, and you do volunteer to help out.

However some are better than others, and I do get a sneaky suspicion that some (not all) do like the power that moderators to help.

And as for one man's dross is another man's enjoyment, I completely agree.

I don't think many moderators are as fair and as good as you Rizzo.

And yes I have accepted the rules of the forum, but that is increasingly difficult when 'rules' seem to change and are not in fact rules but only one person's personal opinion and feeling at any point in time.
tiger_ed87

Post by tiger_ed87 »

"However some are better than others, and I do get a sneaky suspicion that some (not all) do like the power that moderators to help."

meant to read

"However some are better than others, and I do get a sneaky suspicion that some (not all) do like the power that moderators do have."

And also, yes I agree with 'k1'..."I know moderators have a tough job keeping an eye on things, so I don't want to sound as they I'm having a dig." (although it may appear I was having a dig!!
big john
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by big john »

The "honestly!" bit really rasies major doubts.

I have taken many a threads off topic and i mean way off topic as have others and i am yet to see this happen.

Also the Mods need to learn that some times a topic about a new play has signed is different to a topic about his history, style of play and how he will work with the team may not always be in the same topic and that a few threads start that sound the same topic but are not. IE "Toby Flood Signs" and "Toby Flood at 12?"
within 3mins one about him signing for the club and the other about what we think the best line-up including/around him the later thread will just get locked but in fact different topics.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Re: people on power trip's are ruining this forum!

Post by Chobbsy »

tiger_ed87 wrote:'Moderators' please stop moaning about duplicate threads, and then just locking them!!

It makes no sense. I know there a duplicate threads, but there are numerous questions within them, and to have to scroll through people having little private jokes, and conversations that have nothing to do with the thread to discover what I want is just a waste of time.

I don't have problems with the jokes on the thread, and understand that it is a large part of the forum, but if I want to ask a question, even if its been asked, and maybe god forbid that I didn't log on when it was originally raised 3 weeks ago, I should be able to ask it without people locking it!!

If you are going to moderate and constantly moan about duplicate threads, stop the meaningless conversations with in each thread that have nothing to do with what's going on because its dross! And if you allow the dross (which I would have no problem with at all, and occasionally enjoy) then allow duplicate threads!

And stop locking threads, its supposed to be an open forum, where people can write what they want! that's the point!!
Be CAREFUL you will be blocked for such treason !!!
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

There's no such thing as "blocked" Chobbsy, all I could do is ban someone and that is not something taken lightly or done without several warnings first :yawinkle:

bigjohn, I can't speak for anyone else, but I myself do read every post on this forum, okay, I miss occasional things (I am human) but in that case I rely on other forum users to PM me and point things out (nicely I would hope). if you think a locked thread is NOT a duplicate, then again, a PM and we will look at it again.

Do the majority honestly want the forum clogged with multiple threads on the same topic? Do the majority want all duplicates to be left running/open for, say, 24 hours from the first post before locking?

Anyone is always free to PM one of us and ask that we look at something again or consider it in a different light, but please be civil when you do so, I get a bit tired of insults and abuse via PM sometimes.
Demelza - another Mother
big john
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by big john »

Maybe a good option is what are the hot topics for the club like

New away shirt
New signings (players and coaches)
Players leaving
Other big breaking news(serus hearing, HCUP groups)/useful news (like the parking change/Hambo cricket)

These could be made STICKYS then would help cut down duplicate topics

But have a limit like a week for it to be on STICKY for each topic then most of us would know what to look for.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Can you all please lay of attacking the moderators. It is all a question of balance. The sticky idea though valid would result, as it has, with a page of stickies. If we had 27 unlocked posts on the new shirt how would you find the one that told you when it was going to be announced!

I know it is the "close season" and the news releases from the club are so little and late we have little to discuss, but attacking the mods merely because they lock a thread and supply a link to the current open one is hardly worthwhile.

Why not attack me instead?
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
tiger_ed87

Post by tiger_ed87 »

I don't mean to sound like I'm attacking you Bill W, but it's not merely about locking a thread.

There is a whole range of issues, and if people can't vent there frustrations, no matter how small or how large, on this forum, then the whole point is lost.

If people didn't speak up, even if there opinion and ideas aren't fully formed, things would struggle to move forward, and the forum would just become controlled by moderators, which I don't think anyone would want, as forums arn't about control and being in charge. They are a level ground where you can state your views and opinions.

It is important that the people who run and look after the forum know how people feel about who it is going, so it can improve and grow.