Fastest man in rugby

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Fastest man in rugby

Post by Darc Tiger »

While we are all bored with pre season and a lack ov rumours with which we can waste our time speculating over, I thought id dig out this old discussion.

Preferably current players but I think we can stretch to a few years back if we are struggling.

Just throwing a few names in:

Caucaunibuca
Habana
Chavanga
Varndell
Robinson
Ryder
That american guy :smt017
And this Japanese bloke who apparently is rapid.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Over what distance?

Over 2m Harry is deadly!!!
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
tigerben
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by tigerben »

Bill W wrote:Over what distance?

Over 2m Harry is deadly!!!
indeed, i remember from my college days at qe playing with dan cole and ollie dodge, that they passed on that over shorter distances its about power, as such Darren Morris was the fastest at the club (at the time) over 5m, but slowest over 10m!
Leicester Football Club.
First Back to Back European Champions.
First Club to win an Away Guiness Premiership Play-off Semi-Final.
British by Birth - Welsh by the Grace of God
Tiger Eye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger Eye »

I always thought Ben Cohen was pretty darn fast - and Brian O'Driscoll a few years back, around the Lions 2001 tour.

I think Habana tops the list now, I don't think there's anyone else who can race with a Cheetah! :smt032
Leinster Heineken Cup champions 2009
Ireland Grand Slam champions 2009

http://sites.google.com/site/ritamarielawlor/
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

Habana is :censored: quick, and probably the quickest of the big nations. The American winger whose name I have no idea of, was sensationally quick in the World Cup and there is a Japanese player who is supposed to be lightning.

My old house mate supports the Rugby League side of Hunstlet and he once told me that they signed a failed GB sprinter just to put on the wing (several years ago, no idea of his name). He couldn't defend, or tackle or really catch the ball, but if someone handed it to him, pointed at the line and said, "RUN!" he would sometimes do all right.

It was a failed experiment ultimately, but quite a humorous one by all accounts.
John
---
He is able to lift up a heavy object when that heavy object says "lift me now".
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

Or indeed Richie Macaw going from vertical to being laid on the wrong side of the ruck. :smt002
John
---
He is able to lift up a heavy object when that heavy object says "lift me now".
RegBob

Post by RegBob »

A player i used to love to watch, purely for his ability to 'jink' through a tight spot was our own Steve Booth. His height, or lack of it, along with a bit of pace was quite entertaining.

Non tiger... Ugo Monye He's a little older that TV, and it's a case of open space, no-one was able to catch him. No-one that was, until Tom got into the fist team.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

westy154 wrote:Or indeed Richie Macaw going from vertical to being laid on the wrong side of the ruck. :smt002
Is getting laid a speed a desirable attribute?
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

I don't think Cohen was as quick as those guys, had decent pace, but allied it well with his lines of running and power too. Robinson didn't have lightening pace either, just had terrific acceleration. If the race was only 20-30 metres Robinson could be you're man, but over 100m the rangier guys have the stride to pull away. How about Rockocoko? and I seem to remember Tait catching Habana from behind when England last toured South Africa.
Jasperthetiger

Post by Jasperthetiger »

Habana might have raced a cheetah, but he lost. With a head start. You don't have to be fast to lose a race. I think Habana's official 100m time is 10.4, which is pretty quick, but Chavanga is said to be quicker.

Then there's that story about Tommy V running 100m on grass, in his socks, when he was 18, in 10.8 seconds. If you believe that then he must be quicker than 10.4 in race conditions now.

On the other hand, it really doesn't matter who has the fastest track time, what's important is how fast the run in match conditions and how well they use their speed.

Anyway, surely Dwain Chambers is the fastest man to play rugby, even if it was the wrong code...
Tigers: They're GGggggggggrrreeeat!
KingKong(2.15)
Tiger Cub

Post by KingKong(2.15) »

Not really on the subject but thought i would mention topsy ojo.
Hes quick but he looks so slow. I was screaming at the tv for him to get a move on when he scored that breakaway against new zealand.
Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Post by Dave Angel »

Tiger Eye wrote:I think Habana tops the list now, I don't think there's anyone else who can race with a Cheetah! :smt032

Ah, the "legendary" man vs cheetah race!

The race that was little more than a publicity stunt?

Did you realise that Habana had a 30m headstart on the cheetah (he had to run only 70m while the cheetah did 100m) and that the cheetah still comfortably beat him?

Habana can run the 100m in around 11 seconds, which is on a par with a lot of other fast wingers currently playing rugby (Varndell included).
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

It is very rare for a rugby player to be called on to run 100m

So that measure is irrelevant.

25m certainly, 50m perhaps.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

do I remember Nigel Walker (think that was his name) who was a 110m hurdler (again, I think) and turned to rugby. played for Wales? bit vague I'm afraid