So the new-look (1st choice) back line will be............?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

bc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bc »

dailywaffle wrote:
Daveyboy wrote:I worry that in the name of squad rotation, the backs will be different every week and pairings /partnerships will not be allowed to flourish.
Squad rotation didn't do too badly in 06/07.

To compete effectively in all three competitions, rotation is a given. Particularly when you think of the impact of losing players through EPS, injuries etc. So I doubt that there will be a definitive backline.

That said, and I'm sure I posted this just a few days ago, my default starting lineup would be:

Geordan
Johne or Biggs
Rabeni
Mauger
Varndell
Flood
Ellis
Dailywaffle, have you got an inside track? Biggs is he here, have a missed something?
Bud
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bud »

Biggs won't be joining.
Ed
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

bc wrote:Dailywaffle, have you got an inside track? Biggs is he here, have a missed something?
Sorry, I should have put a caveat with Biggs.

As Bud hints at, the signs are increasingly negative. Which is a problem; we only have two proper wingers and one of those is coming off a poor season.
Bud
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bud »

I'm pretty sure he'll be at Leeds next season.

I hope we can still bring in a winger. I think it's important especially with Varndell in the Elite squad.
Ed
Smudge2

Post by Smudge2 »

I hope Sam Vesty gets more game time this year.
He is a very fine player and thoroughly dependable.
With two Fly Halfs in place and two fullbacks I am a bit worried for the lad. Leicester born and bred and second or third generation in the club I think he deserves a fair go in the side. Not just for sentiment but because he is good.
Life long Tiger
Pete
Super User
Super User

Post by Pete »

I hope Sam Vesty gets more game time this year.
He is a very fine player and thoroughly dependable.
With two Fly Halfs in place and two fullbacks I am a bit worried for the lad. Leicester born and bred and second or third generation in the club I think he deserves a fair go in the side. Not just for sentiment but because he is good.

I agree.
He is also a good motivator of those around him.
Pete
Super User
Super User

Post by Pete »

Best backs:

15. Sam Vesty
14. Tom Varndell
13. Danny Hipkiss / Ayoola Erinle
12. Aaron Mauger
11. Seru Rabeni / either Murphy
10. Toby Flood
9. Harry Ellis

I believe Geordan has not been at his best lately. This may have been a World Cup reaction. If so, he should be back on form this season.

We could do with another seriously quick winger!
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

I totally agree with the comments about our lack of wingers. I find it surprising that we've let Olly Dodge go - I thought he had potential and he was good cover if nothing else!
tigerfeet13
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by tigerfeet13 »

Pete wrote:Best backs:

15. Sam Vesty
14. Tom Varndell
13. Danny Hipkiss / Ayoola Erinle
12. Aaron Mauger
11. Seru Rabeni / either Murphy
10. Toby Flood
9. Harry Ellis

I believe Geordan has not been at his best lately. This may have been a World Cup reaction. If so, he should be back on form this season.

We could do with another seriously quick winger!
I think it helps to have a mix on the wings. 1 speedster and a bull dozer. I also favor Rabini at centre rather than wing as he needs the ball to be dangerous.
But I have to say I like the idea of Vesty a full back and Geordan (if back to best on the wing).

It's going to be a very interesting start to the season to see where various players fall in the pecking order with the new Gaffer.
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

Although I like Hipkiss he is a bit one dimensional for an OC. Everybody raves about how he stays on his feet and waits for the heavy cavalry to appear. Trouble is that makes your winger virtually redundant, other than having to be quick enough to get to Hipkiss to form a maul when he's tackled.

But, of course, now a maul can be bought down, so what value Hipkiss's main trick? How many tries would Varndell have scored if he's seen more of the ball? Basically his strike rate was tremendous, considering how much service he got.

For me a rotation of Hougaard, Mauger and Flood around 10 and 12, with Rabeni thrown in for good measure at 12. Erinle, Hipkis and Rabeni sharing 13, depending on the conditions. Geordan and Johne sharing 15 with Tuilagi, Varndell and Johne working the wings, with Erinle and Rabeni filling in when necessary and depending on conditions.

Sure, Alex has been off form, but we saw a glimpse of what he can do at Glaws. There can be no better sight than a fit Alex on a charge for the line. Just ask Ryan Lamb :smt023
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
big john
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by big john »

I agree with you GS on Hipkiss at 13 but thats why he should be at 12 and lets stop playing kicking 12's all the time and giving the ball away.

And again i make the point Why have this topic as teams that want to compete in all comps wont have a "1st choice" back line it is far more in depth than that its all about game plans and tactics you will get the most suited team for the upcoming game/game's not a 1st choice back line as a good back room staff would pick a team apart if its the same aim every week.
k1
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by k1 »

Pete wrote:

Sorry Pete, totally disagree. He was instrumental against Gloucester and, at times IMO, was the best back we had. We played some naff games towards the end of the season, but Geordan really stood out for me as a world class FB.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

"If you hadn't noticed not happy about lack of choice!"

Indeed - so lacking in choice that no two backlines are the same.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Best backline for next season?

Depends on the opposition and conditions. Horses for courses. We now seem to have that kind of luxury.