New Maul Laws

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Becca
Top Cat
Top Cat

New Maul Laws

Post by Becca »

I couldn't believe what I was hearing when watching the Ireland Vs New Zeakland game yesterday. Apparently the IRB are br9inging in new laws making It legal to collapse mauls. It angered me and also Stuart Barns who was commentating on the game. The IRB brout the new scrum Laws in so as they sa9id playe5rs didn't get seriously hurt injured like Matt Hamson. Now If I remember he wasn't injured by a srum collapsing on him. It was a maul. So by changing these Laws how maany more players will be injued like him.
:smt009 :smt009
captain_insaino
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by captain_insaino »

collapsing a maul probably isn't as dangerous as collapsing a scrum but players will still probably get injured due to this new law
TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!
KingKong(2.15)
Tiger Cub

Post by KingKong(2.15) »

Was not Matt Hampson injured in scrum practice?
But yes, I was always led to believe the laws prevented maul collapsing for safety's sake principally.
Also, im sure the ELVs have been argued to death elsewhere on this forum.
captain_insaino
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by captain_insaino »

matt hampson's injury happened when a scrum collapsed in training. 9 times out of 10 he would have got up and been fine but the abnormality of the accident paralised him from the neck down
TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

KingKong(2.15) wrote:Was not Matt Hampson injured in scrum practice?
But yes, I was always led to believe the laws prevented maul collapsing for safety's sake principally.
Also, im sure the ELVs have been argued to death elsewhere on this forum.
Yes.
Yes.
Yes, although I'm happy to reaffirm that this is the one ELV that will be played in the GP next season that I am unhappy about.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

I understand that this ELV will not be applied to under 19 rugby in England.

Well done RFU.
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Bill W wrote:I understand that this ELV will not be applied to under 19 rugby in England.

Well done RFU.
Agreed. I've also heard it said that the RFU is still trying, behind the scenes, to gather further resistance to this particular ELV.
Tigre_Pazza

Post by Tigre_Pazza »

I believe the new law states that the only way you can pull a maul down is from above the hips of the opposing player. So, it is illegal to 'take out' a players legs but you can pull a man to ground [not around the head/neck though.] This is obviously still dangerous and the law makers have experimented with under 20's more often than not. With all due respect to the aforementioned players, they are not fully developed, physically monstrous rugby players!
The law will supposedly speed up play by changing the point of attack more often. Lots of mini-mauls will prob become the norm...does anybody else feel we are moving towards a game bearing a lot of resemblance to another oval shaped ball game.
Pete
Super User
Super User

Post by Pete »

Does this mean no 18 or 19 year old forwardss will be allowed to play top level rugby?
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Tigre_Pazza wrote:I believe the new law states that the only way you can pull a maul down is from above the hips of the opposing player. So, it is illegal to 'take out' a players legs but you can pull a man to ground [not around the head/neck though.]
Yes, shoulders to hips.

For a full briefing on the 13 ELV's being globally trialled, see here:

http://www.irb.com/mm/document/newsmedi ... l_5097.pdf
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Pete wrote:Does this mean no 18 or 19 year old forwards will be allowed to play top level rugby?
I think not Pete. Merely that U19 competitions will not apply that particular ELV.
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
steve424

Post by steve424 »

[quote="Bill W"][quote="Pete"]Does this mean no 18 or 19 year old forwards will be allowed to play top level rugby?[/quote]

I think not Pete. Merely that U19 competitions will not apply that particular ELV.[/quote]

Ahh good! i thought i may have to go back down the U19 when its to easy!
triage

Post by triage »

Bill W wrote:I understand that this ELV will not be applied to under 19 rugby in England.

Well done RFU.
I am not sure about that as the laws specifically state

Important notes:
• the Laws of the Game, unless specifically amended by the ELVs, remain unaltered
• the ELVs also apply to the Sevens and Under 19 Variations

if the RFU change this so it doesn't apply to under 19 rugby this could have serious repercussions with the IRB...after all the RFU were i believe there when they were approved for use next year. Part of the review at the end of the season will be based on what happens at under 19 as well as senior rugby.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
Albert Einstein 1879-1955
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007