Tigers Defence

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

moza9
Tiger Cub

Tigers Defence

Post by moza9 »

We seem to have this horrible looking dog leg in defence. Can anybody tell me the idea behind this as i think our defence has been a bit problematic all season?
tigerfeet13
Silver Member
Silver Member

Defence

Post by tigerfeet13 »

:smt009

I think it's a question mark rather than a dog leg. It simply shows how clueless we have been in defence at times this year.

Sad but I fear true!
:smt022
Lis113
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Lis113 »

The defence has been the worst i've ever seen it in my five-odd years of going down.
Mafi is my man.
moza9
Tiger Cub

Post by moza9 »

Does anybody think we should switch to a blitz defence, seems to work in finals?
Coby

Post by Coby »

Blitz is a great defensive system but it has its faults and can be unlocked, see the edf semi against wasps

The drift defence can also be incredibly effective as long as everybody communicates and is looking after each others inside shoulders

Tigers dont appear to using either of these or any to be honest!
Its No7 nature to never give in, give up or settle for second best.
moza9
Tiger Cub

Post by moza9 »

The blitz defence can be torn apart at times, but my point is that it seems to be almost unplayable in finals, as it puts the opposition under immense amount of pressure, and in finals especially, pressure causes opponants to make reckless decisions.

It will also allow us more turnover opportunities as we will make the tackles before the gainline, therefore being able to hit the rucks going forward with more pace/power.

Would anyone want to see tigers implament this?
bc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bc »

I think you are touching on a problem that Tigers need to address, namely the coaching. The Loffreda issue is best handled elsewhere but there are coaches who he inherited and I think that they should be accountable:

Forwards - they have really gone backwards this year and in the final we were well and truly 2nd best, out muscled and out thought and we have seen signs of that this season. That is Richard Cockerill's domain.

Defence - we seemed to start the season OK but the latter part we have leaked tries. Neil Back.

Backs Coach - do we have one? The back play has been poor and eyt TV is still top try scorere. What would be like if we had proper structure in the backs?

I thinkwe are due a root and branch change in the coaching set up.
Gibbo12
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gibbo12 »

I agree, the pack have been creaking this season and don't look the dominant force they once were. Maybe its other teams improving and we have stagnated and not moved forward?

Backy was a true great in his playing days and a Tigers legend, but the defence this season (particularly towards the end) has been very poor. There just doesn't seem to be any clear structure or plan and it is strikingly obvious.

I don't want to start calling for heads to roll, but something needs sorting out. Whether the board stick with them or change, it's up to them.
KingKong(2.15)
Tiger Cub

Post by KingKong(2.15) »

Drift defence is good. Blitz doesnt work unless everyone is right at the top of their game, there is no room for error. Drift defence is also more flexible and give more time for organisation. The problem on Sunday was that Wasps were making too many yards in the tackle. THe tackles were not strong enough to push them back.
moza9
Tiger Cub

Post by moza9 »

But our drift defence has this wierd dog leg in, which it seems the coaches want. I can't work out what its their for?
Pete
Super User
Super User

Post by Pete »

How does the blitz defence work with the new rule of staying 5 metres (3 metres for wasps!) behind the back foot?
Coby

Post by Coby »

The blitz is all about shutting down the space the opposition has quickly as possible and trying to stop them being able to move the ball.

If the defence is 5m further back it has the same effect but from further way so in theory the opposition can move the ball along the line but how much would they gain moving the ball 5m away from contact?
Gizmo
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Gizmo »

Wouldn't the extra time, from the greater space, allow for more missed pass moves, so getting around the blitz, or a bit more time to line up a chip through? i say this very tentatively, but I would have thought that, in principle, the point of the blitz is to rush the decision maker. If you have to start from further away, this is less likely to be successful, isn't it?
Coby

Post by Coby »

Gizmo wrote:Wouldn't the extra time, from the greater space, allow for more missed pass moves, so getting around the blitz, or a bit more time to line up a chip through? i say this very tentatively, but I would have thought that, in principle, the point of the blitz is to rush the decision maker. If you have to start from further away, this is less likely to be successful, isn't it?
Well yes it does allow more time to make a move or to line up a chip over the top, the blitz is to force the attacker inside and to shut his options off outside aswell as applying pressure to the ball carrier.

So by starting them further away it does give the offence more time to work with but the blitz would still offer more of a pressured offence then the drift etc so yes it would be less effective but would still have the same effects, i hope that helps its not my most eloquent of posts.
Gizmo
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Gizmo »

At this time of night any reply is appreciated!