Another Analogy

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

KingKong(2.15)
Tiger Cub

Another Analogy

Post by KingKong(2.15) »

This is something I feel quite strongly about so bear with me.

Imagine you are building a kitchen.
One option is to go down to the shops and buy a whole load of stuff to stick in it. You like the look of that old fashioned aga. You also think those pine cabinets look great, as does that pink marble worktop, very classy. Finally to give the plave an air of genuine quality edge you go out and get a whole load of fine antique cabinets, from the renassance up to the victorian, and then a whole load of very fancy cookware and cutlery. You get home and shove it all in. Except the stuff you bought doesnt fit the space. Instead you have big gaps, stacks of cupboards, and the pine, marble, black aga, vintage wood looks horrible together.
In short your kitchen is a bit rubbish despite all these fine components.

The wise man measures his space carefully and comes up with a vision of how his kitchen should be. He draws up plans and gets the furniture made specifically for it, with one or two judicious buys that will fit in perfectly. Lo and behold the kitchen is awesome. Everything fits, everything works well together.

I fear the team has gone from the latter to the former. Ice cream and pizza anyone?
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Is that why we haven't got any cups?

Ta-daaaa!
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

My kitchen is a hodge podge of bits from the 80s, 90s and 2000s, with some old pots and utensils that were my grandmother's, to some shiny new ones. Yet it all works, and the stuff prepared in it is not only successful but also often praised. :smt003
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
RayDTuTu

Post by RayDTuTu »

Rizzo,

If you're going to the Newcastle game on Sunday why not bake some cakes and bring them along.
(It's my Birthday on Sunday BTW)

You will be able to recognise me as I will be in the bar wearing a Red, white and green shirt and drinking from a 2 pint glass.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Ray, unfortunately I'm unable to go to the Newcastle game, but I hope you have a good day and a great birthday!
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
thebearisstilldeano
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by thebearisstilldeano »

King Kong
At the risk of starting the "you're not a real fan if you diss the team etc etc" debate..

Can't but say "if you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen!"
Cliffeclimber
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Cliffeclimber »

I'm afraid that the second part of your analogy only works if you are suggesting that we get rid of all our existing players each season and start with everything matching and balanced. Sadly, this isn't possible with a rugby team, especially with long contracts and expensive buy out clauses.

I think a team has to be made up more like a bride's outfit - something old, something new, something borrowed, and something blue.

Actually, this is quite an apt analogy for a rugby team and I'm sure we all know players who fit the "something blue" category!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Yes, but sometimes our team looks like a bride after her honeymoon. Sh****d out.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
KingKong(2.15)
Tiger Cub

Post by KingKong(2.15) »

No, what i am saying is the way the team is going is not going to work. It is all very well and good getting in players and coaches with great records, but someone has to decide how they want the team to play. Then instead of trying to shoehorn otherwise great players in, I think it would be better to use our own players who have learned and played that way for many years. We had the players coming through. Smith, Hamilton, Varndell, Hipkiss, Croft and so on.
scouse tiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by scouse tiger »

Ahhh but the season might be rescued if we throw everything and the 'kitchen sink' into these last two games.
My Wild Oats Have turned to Shredded Wheat
Pete
Super User
Super User

Post by Pete »

The wise man measures his space carefully and comes up with a vision of how his kitchen should be. He draws up plans and gets the furniture made specifically for it, with one or two judicious buys that will fit in perfectly. Lo and behold the kitchen is awesome. Everything fits, everything works well together.
That just describes me and my kitchen ........

except everything was bought 'off the shelf' or via the world wide web, just like many Tigers players!

However, most kitchen crockery etc we had already - if you like, they came through the academy set-up!