WAYNE BARNES

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

shedhead1

WAYNE BARNES

Post by shedhead1 »

Shedhead1 here:

Just watching the Bath game. A great game of free flowing rugby. I just wanted to say that I think that Wayne Barnes is proving to be one of the best refs in the Northern Hemisphere. He lives 8 miles from me and obviously cannot ref the Glaws games, but a true professional and a credit to his profession.

Bob
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

I'll give you this, he's consistent.

And that's all I ask of a referee!!
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Moose
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Moose »

Wayne Barnes has had a pretty good game...can't think of too much he's missed.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

The way he's just handled Corry & Borthwick was extrememly good!
Nik
Super User
Super User

Post by Nik »

he's quality, I sincerely mean that.
Life was like a box of chocolates - until I ate them! :smt061
talltom
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by talltom »

I just made a comment about that on the game thread. Very good refereeing indeed.
talltom
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by talltom »

Although saying that he did just miss a shocking attempt at a tackle on Croft by James. High and no attempt to wrap the arms around Croft.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

I saw your comments on the other thread talltom, after I'd put similar on here.

You're right also about the James 'tackle' though surely the TJ could've got involved on that one, let's hope the citing commisioner does because that wasn't a tackle, it wasn't passion it was dirty, downright dirty, it was HIGH and it was a CHARGE, he shouldn't get away with that.........but probably will!!
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Best refereeing perofrmance I have seen for years. Consider the cap doffed.
talltom
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by talltom »

You're right Whitecap the touch judge should have gotten involved, however I think he was put off slightly by his performance in the lead up to the 2nd Tigers try and maybe by the abuse he probably got from the Bath fans for it! However, no excuse, he's a professional and there is no place for that type of 'tackle' in the game. Will be waiting for the citing commissioner... it maybe a long wait!
Mr_Ben
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Mr_Ben »

just back from the pub...

He was totally consistent throughout the game on the forward passes (I'm sure that with plenty of other ref's tonight we would have got the 2 tries he rightly ruled out) and about the players on the floor at the tackle.

Also agree that his handling of Cozza and Borthwick around Frank's try was fantastic as well as making it clear throughout to other players that we was in control and wouldn't accept any backchat.

Certainly the best refereeing performance I've seen for long long time. Don't suppose there's any chance of Sky supplying the RFU a DVD to help train some of the other "elite" referees?
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

And all this praise in defeat too... this is unchartered territory for most Tigers fans!!

Seriously though, despite being defeated and having two borderline decisions cost us tries (possibly three if you count Varndell's break from the line we are still praising his performance. His refereeing tonight should not be understated.

As an All Black though I wonder whether Aaron Mauger's opinion has changed of him!?
pogue3
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by pogue3 »

best ref there is. Every time he refs the game of rugby looks good and not stopped and slowed down every second by a big headed ref thinking he is bigger than the game. He's leagues above most refs in the NH
Goffer3404
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goffer3404 »

Agreeing with Iain here, uncharted waters regarding referees on this forum. Refreshing as well as reassuring that there is an inkling of improvement in the consistency of refereeing.