Is Lofredda really the right man?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Buff
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Buff »

I think Gate is spot on. I also mentioned on another thread the capitulations against Wasps and Sale and would ask those who are (rightly) critical of yesterday's display what was fundamentally different in the HC Final against Wasps last year? The answer is there is no difference with both performances characterised by a total lack of leadership, from the captain and senior players, when plan A clearly isn't working.

As for the reports of player unrest this is something (if Dean Richards was correct) that definitely predates the arrival of ML. That is just something else he has inherited along with some slow forwards who don't seem to be able to clear the ball quickly ( and Cockerill is the forwards coach!) and a lack of inspiration in the pivotal position of No 10. Silk purses and sows ears come to mind.

ML has been just four months into his role, with a totally inherited squad (including the reported unrest) and none of his chosen back room staff either. He might just be feeling a little lonely and now he has to contend with some, who might do better supporting Wigan Athletic Football Club (with due respects to Wigan), who want him out already.

The end of next season is the time to judge.
Nik
Super User
Super User

Post by Nik »

spot on buff
Life was like a box of chocolates - until I ate them! :smt061
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

what was fundamentally different in the HC Final against Wasps last year?
Last year the team was exhausted from winning two other finals, and the HC was just a game too far.

The performance in this years EDF was poor, but my real concern is that ML appeared to do nothing to try and change the course of the game, and unfortunately it has happened on more than one occasion this year.
the fat plumber

Post by the fat plumber »

is there a plan to undermind ml?
the players trying to get rid of him to save there own skins? by playing so badly you have to think something is wrong.i have said before that cockerill is the problem he wants the top job and the performances are helping him get his wish!!
life is a roller coaster just got to ride it
Nik
Super User
Super User

Post by Nik »

the fat plumber wrote:is there a plan to undermind ml?
the players trying to get rid of him to save there own skins? by playing so badly you have to think something is wrong.i have said before that cockerill is the problem he wants the top job and the performances are helping him get his wish!!
If cockers got the top job we'd be without a lot of players and supporters - I for one wouldn't renew my season ticket - no :censored: way.

I don't reckon it's ML their trying to get rid of, the air needs to be cleared but it appears to me Cockers won't take what has to be said so it isn't said and is left festering.... just like him on the pitchside!!!

Get a grip Cockers and do your own job (which, by recent results, you aren't doing effectively me duck) and stop trying to do Loffreda's job for him.
Life was like a box of chocolates - until I ate them! :smt061
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

drc_007 wrote:
what was fundamentally different in the HC Final against Wasps last year?
Last year the team was exhausted from winning two other finals, and the HC was just a game too far.

The performance in this years EDF was poor, but my real concern is that ML appeared to do nothing to try and change the course of the game, and unfortunately it has happened on more than one occasion this year.
Spot on mate! I've said the same myself.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
MPG

Sorry, but...

Post by MPG »

Exhausted after winning two finals? Can't motivate yourself for the biggest club game in the NH against your arch rivals? Unprecedented treble?

Then God help us this season!
Jerry Hat-trick
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Jerry Hat-trick »

Nik wrote:....stop trying to do Loffreda's job for him.
Surely, if this is the case, the question has to be why does Loffreda ALLOW that to happen? ML appears very aloof,uninvolved and peripheral.

Whilst jumping up and down may not be ML's style, I have to say that I have seen more animation in Madame Tussauds.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Exhausted after winning two finals? Can't motivate yourself for the biggest club game in the NH against your arch rivals? Unprecedented treble?

Then God help us this season!
The problem is not psychology it is physiology, the East Germans did a lot of analysis of elite athlete performance and found that they can only perform at their peak 5 or 6 times spread out throughout the year. In many sports the competitors plan their season to peak at one or two specific events. Unfortunately with the rugby season, all the finals come at the end of the season and maintaining a peak for that long is a major problem.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

............would explain how the :censored: Wasps do things!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Gate wrote:Hmmm. Anyone remember the clueless abject surrender to Wasps at Twickenham in 2005? I do. Coach one J Wells. Well regarded by many on here, apparently, and certainly by me. Does anyone remember the witless abject surrender to Sale at Twickenham the next year? I do. Coach one P Howard. Well regarded by many on here, me included. Likewise the abject surrender against Wasps at Twickenham in 2007. P Howard again. Now we have the fouth abject clueless failure at Twickenham in as many years. New coach, same old witless reversion to pick-and-flop when the fly-half doesn't fire and there are a few early fluffs by the backs, so that the forwards look scared to let the ball into the backs' hands. Frankly, if the rumoured ructions are real and are down to Marcelo trying to coach that rubbish out of the team, then bring it on. If they are down to something else, then I don't know: I'm just a supporter. I do know, however, or at least I am sure (if that means something different here) that "sack ML now" isn't the way. I seem to recall Tigers having the rep for doing exactly that - shafting the manager - and its being why Wellsy jumped ship and (so rumour had it) why it wasn't so easy to find a decent replacement. Doing it again after reaching a final will simply confirm the rep - the message will be well and truly out that Leicester will do for you if you don't immediately win at least one competition, and you'll get no support along the way if things don't go well. Not a message I'd like to have going out about the club I love.
Hit it on the nail, Gate. We are not a football club who sacks people at the drop of a hat, and we don't want to get that kind of reputation! People have such short memories sometimes.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
DrRepper

Post by DrRepper »

Hello folks. First post on here though I've been lurking for a while. Having been it Twickenham yesterday and Cardiff three weeks ago, I felt compelled to respond to this thread.

Firstly, I am very pleased that ML chooses to remain out of the public eye, speaking largely to the press through Cockerill. Rugby is a sport, not a circus. His job is to concentrate on coaching the team, not waste time composing speeches for TV. Why do you think England are appointing MJ as manager?

Secondly, I think it's far, far to early to start baying for ML's head. This smacks of the Toon Army's King Kevin debacle at Newcastle United. I think many woefully underestimate the effect of a pre-season on the performance of a team. A coach needs time to get to know his players, sculpt a team to his requirements and tactical vision and assemble a cohesive back-room team. All these things are best done BEFORE the season, not part way through it.

Secondly, it's easy to blow hot air with vague references to 'flair' and 'creativity' etc, but these latent traits are not magically gifted to players by their coach. Nor does a grasp of the fundamental basics of rugby (i.e. tackling and passing) desert a professional player because of incompetent coaching. ML can't run on to the pitch and do these things for his players. They should have mastered them when they were about eight.

On the flipside, I too was mystified by the decision to keep Varndell off for so long when pace on the wing, particularly when chasing down kicks was obviously an issue. But then, would that have won us the game? I think not. The main issue in these situations is leadership on the field and basic tactical savvy from individual players. The forwards are not going to burst through an aggressive defence if HE is having to scream at them and direct them with hand signals at the breakdown. Neither are we going to score many tries if we end up in an attacking position with Ben Kay on the wing and Castro at OC (!). These players should KNOW when they're way out of position without being told. If they don't, then someone on the pitch isn't organising them and keeping them awake. That someone, I suspect, is MC.
What's the worst that could happen?