Transfer Rumours 14/03/08 - Squad Clearout?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Transfer Rumours 14/03/08 - Squad Clearout?

Post by kornboy130 »

IN(?):

A Backs Coach - In the mercury today Tigers are looking for a new backs coach - ive given it quick thought and ive come up with 3 "obvious" contenders for Tigers:

Daryl Gibson - rumoured to want to be backs coach before he signed for Glasgow as a player, we all know there are tircky technicalitys to buying out players onctracts but could some or most of these be avoided as he would be signing as a coach? not a proven coach but always an organiser on the pitch - could be worth the gamble.

John Fletcher - as mentioned in the mercury he has just been released from Newcastle as head coach. Though his successes do not present themselves obviously as a head coach the newcastle backs have, especially of late, been renowned for a club with such a small budget so he must have had something to do with that.

Scott Johnson - rumoured to be one of the front runners for head coach before Marcelo was officially appointed last season and apparently was eventually discounted because we doubted his potential as a number 1. that being said he could well be a number 2 man as an effective backs coach as his coaching results have shown however Ospreys have also been mentioned in looking for his signature after he turned down a position with Cardiff Blues.
[Source = Mercury]

Players:

Tom Biggs - mentioned as trying to entice him away from Leeds in rugby times even though he has 1 year left on his leeds contract. Leeds bosses mention in the article they will report any illegal bids for his signature but will view any offers to buy out his contract - would be fantastic though he has also linked with sale and has been for a few weeks now.
[Source=Rugby Times]

Nick Evans - We are listed as the favourites to capture his signature of the club in the chase, mentioned in mercury and rugby times. Wage demands may be a put off though as may Hernandez signing and the battle to be first choice that would ensue.
[Source=Rugby Times/Mercury]

Juan Martin Hernandez - Mercury states despite our leading the race to sign Evans we are still interested in signing him. Nells reliably informs us that he is also free to leave in Max Guazzini's books so we shall have to see where this goes.
[Source=Nells and Mercury]

Out(?):

Scott Bemand - Officialy off to Bath after almost a year out from the game wiht injury - good luck Scott!
[Source=Offy and Bath Offy]

Ollie Smith - now "Close" to a deal in France, BBC say he is still negotiating with Tigers aswell.
[Source=Rugby Times/Mercury]

Iain Humphreys - apparently Agreed terms with ulster as it stands - must be a replacement lined up if he is to leave as we must have released him and we dont have much depth there as it is - seems to be written as if definate.
[Source=Rugby Times]

Jim Hamilton - Apparently "definately2 off to edinburgh - no replacement really required with richard Blaze back, when he is back of course - seems to be written as definate.
[Source=Rugby Times]

Frank Murphy - Told he can leave at the end of the season - not sure if have offered an extension.
[Source=Rugby Times]

Paul Burke - at the ripe old age of 34, Paul is out of contract at the end of the season and having broken both his hands this season might see it fit to call it a day.
[Source=Rugby Times]

Alex Moreno - another possible retiree as he is a pretty old boy even for a prop these days and has seen a steep drop in his form of late. I always thought it could be possible he would become a specialst proping coach when he retired.
[Source=Rugby Times]

Gavin Hickie - 4th choice hooker now, has looked busy in development matches but according so SK 88 is currently working for Price Waterhouse Cooper and is only part time at the tigers.
[Source=Rugby Times]

Contract Extensions:

Johne Murphy - resigned with us despite competition from Leinster according to rugby times - good news!
[Source=Rugby Times]

Unresolved Rumours (with no new news):

IN (?):
Juan-Martin Hernandez - latest is we are still interested aswell as Evans.
Pierre Correia - Prop - Albi
Daanie Rossouw - South Africa Back 5 utility - Vodacom Blue-Bulls
Julien Dupuy - Scrum Half - Biarritz
Craig Newby - Back Row - Highlanders captain
Mose Tuiali'i - New Zealand - Number 8 - Crusaders
Gonzalo Tiesi - believed to be having talks with us and Harlequins - now between the two.
OUT(?):
Ollie Smith - rumoured to France/Brive
Neil Back - Rumoured to have been aproached by Leinster - little else, doubt it.

Resolved rumours:

Donnacha O'Callaghan - signed a 2 year extension with Munster today.
Lionel Beaxis - signed a 2 year extension with Stade Francais (thanks nells!)
sammy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sammy »

We need a good old clearout. After the WC our squad seems huge, so I guess the time has come to offload some of the nearly men and old boys.

Having said that I would be stunned if Humph left. The poor guy has never had a chance at Tigers. On the odd occasion that he has been given game time he has looked sharp and exciting, often a genuine alternative to Goodey.

I know the rugby times is hardly a reliable source (an off-hand comment in my paper actually resulted in a tipped move, which is truly hilarious seeing as it was based on absolutely no information), but I guess sometimes there is no smoke without fire.
Gibbo12
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gibbo12 »

Any idea of how lang Meffin Davies has left to run on his current contract with Tigers? - He must be nearing retirement, if not one more season.

I have to agree, that is great news re Johne Murphy; he's really progressed this season and is really starting to show his consistency and class - Another Geordie in the making!
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

Gibbo - Mefin signed for 1 year only, therefore he is out of contract at the end of the season.
Moose
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Moose »

thought that Dupuy had confirmed his move - or is it one of those pre-signature confirmation type things?
Gibbo12
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gibbo12 »

Yea, I'm sure it's a pre-contract agreement. It looks quite likely that he will be signing though.
Gibbo12
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gibbo12 »

kornboy130 wrote:Gibbo - Mefin signed for 1 year only, therefore he is out of contract at the end of the season.

Surely Meffin will be on his way at the end of the season then?

I know he's getting on and was only really signed to cover the WC and provide some experience to the pack, but he's never really done anything to impress that much. Most of the times I've seen him play he's been quite poor - let's hope for better today though.
Former Prop
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Former Prop »

Mercury today reports that Ian Humphreys and Jim Hamilton have been linked with moves to Ulster and Edinburgh respectively.

More worryingly, it also reports, that Luke Abraham is a target for Sale.
Our period of waiting is over - this is the time.
Sean H

Post by Sean H »

Aw I really like Humphers and Murphy! :smt009 Is Goode staying then? All is not lost I suppose! :smt003
Just loving every minute :)
Ulster

Post by Ulster »

You lot are treating Humphreys very poorly, he has great potential and if he works on his defence and kicking he could mature into a very good player.

Hopefully he comes back to us and he'll bolster our squad, Ulster have been playing a super 14 type of game since Matt Williams started 2 game ago, we beat dragons by 38 point and hammered Scarlets in awfull coditions and this will Suit Humphreys game (if he comes)
soggytiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by soggytiger »

Humphs is a good young player but was always going back to Ireland when the opportunity came. Good luck Baby Humphs and enjoy!
Mid Lander

Post by Mid Lander »

Do you think Wilko may reconsider considering the unpopular structural changes at Falcons? And that he may be bit fed up anyway?

And after today I'd want Parisse even more!!!
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

I'd heard a rumour that Northampton were after the Deacon brothers. However, once they discovered that they didn't speak with South African accents maybe their interest has faded!

Also how long has Julian White got left on his contract? I wonder at what point farming becomes a more attractive alternative for him?
boondock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by boondock »

thats really funny, stu_f, and quite topical humour for about 3 years ago.

see you at twickenham for the edf finals?

we'll be there anyway, having booked our place in the trophy final this afternoon.

and before anyone says so what - think of the ticket implications. we travel in BIG NUMBERS.
"I don't recall Boondock posting inflammatory comments on here. I can see nothing wrong with him, except for him being a Saint..." westy154 18/03/08
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

Anyone know what sort of fatboy Correia is? I hope to get a response which includes the words "strong", "wicked", "filthy", "destructive",
"underhanded", and if possible "terrifying". Any rumours about other props fitting those adjectives most welcome!