Most Rugby Mad Countries ..

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

SimonP in Surrey

Most Rugby Mad Countries ..

Post by SimonP in Surrey »

Now a tough question ... on a scale of 1 (rugby is anomomous in the country) to 10 (rugby is an obsessive religion)

My Ratings
New Zealand 10
South Africa 9
Wales 9
Australia 8
England 7
Fiji 7
Argentina 6
Ireland 6
Scotland 5
Italy 4
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Having been to Fiji I assure you rugby is followed far more avidly there than here!
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

My Ratings
New Zealand 10
South Africa 9
Wales 9
Australia 8
Fiji 8
England 7
France 7
Argentina 6
Ireland 6
Scotland 5
Italy 4
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Having also been to Australia Bill I wouldn't have them that high up either. In most parts of the country it pales into insignificance behind League, Cricket and Aussie Rules.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Perhaps we should score out of 100?

I would not drop them to the level of France and England.
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I'm not going to list my own as some countries would be guesswork for me. But:

New Zealand is at the top: When I lived there an All Black only had to blow their nose and it was front page news.
Fiji is well up there: Our resort virtually stopped to listen to a game against Samoa on the radio, and Waisale Serevi appearing at the airport caused hysteria similar to what Beckham would here.

I actually WOULD put Australia to something similar to England and France's level. You see decent ish Super 14 crowds in Australia but that masks the interest in domestic union the rest of the time. Bear in mind Australia doesn't even have a national league. In South Australia and Victoria Rugby is roughly on a par with tiddly winks in terms of interest!

France is probably ahead of us too, particularly in the South where Rugby is all important. In England I don't think you could realistically claim Rugby is second or possibly even third in the interests of the whole country. I would go as far as to say football, cricket and rugby league all probably beat it.

Wales is certainly ahead of us, probably second only to New Zealand.

Other countries I could not possibly comment on as I haven't been there.
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

certainly agree about the popularity in Fiji. every little village has a rugby ground - be it only a dirt patch with some posts. great place.
Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Post by Dave Angel »

I'd put Fiji at 8 or 9 but at 10 if you are talking about Sevens rugby!

A score for Australia really depends on where yo are in the country. When I was over there for the 2001 Lions Tour the Immigration guys at Melbourne airport honestly didn't even realise that the Wallabies were playing the Lions a few days later! Aussie Rules was the main sport there, followed by League (outside of cricket season) and then Union a distant third.
seaweed
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by seaweed »

Wales are an 11. Is it a passion. Can't explain it. Just have to be there.
To quote Ray Gravell - You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late.

Owain Glyndŵr now he was a man of vision.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Sorry.

I have been to Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, France, Wales, Scotland and of course England.
The Welsh passion is no where near that of the New Zealanders.

Compared to the New Zealanders the Welsh are mice. And pretty inferior mice at that!

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
Hoorah_Henry
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Hoorah_Henry »

Couldnt agree more Bill Wales just like to think they love Rugby as much as the All Blacks when they are actually lagging behind Fiji for sure. Fiji definately have to rival Nz though if only they had the structures in place to obsess like we do with computers and mass media. Also a country that can produce such pure genius as the likes of Rupeni Caucaunibuca must have Rugby deeply engrained in its Soul!!!
Face Your Fears, Live your Dreams!
seaweed
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by seaweed »

Bill why always the silly comments. You are a clever guy. Do you have a problem with the Welsh ?
To quote Ray Gravell - You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late.

seaweed
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by seaweed »

Hoorah_Henry wrote:Couldnt agree more Bill Wales just like to think they love Rugby as much as the All Blacks when they are actually lagging behind Fiji for sure. Fiji definately have to rival Nz though if only they had the structures in place to obsess like we do with computers and mass media. Also a country that can produce such pure genius as the likes of Rupeni Caucaunibuca must have Rugby deeply engrained in its Soul!!!
You know nothing

Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

seaweed wrote:Bill why always the silly comments. You are a clever guy. Do you have a problem with the Welsh ?
I have no problem with the Welsh.

I tell it as I see it. If you think my comments are silly - fine! Although I would remind you of you signiture line!

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

seaweed wrote:Wales are an 11. Is it a passion. Can't explain it. Just have to be there.
Some chap called Justin Marshall claimed that rugby in Wales was less of a 'passion' than was the case in NZ. I am happy to defer to his knowledge on the matter.

Wales would, of course, score significantly better than England.