Guinness (Not So) Ultimate Prizes

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

maskedsquid
Gold Member
Gold Member

Guinness (Not So) Ultimate Prizes

Post by maskedsquid »

When they first launched the wonderful and thrilling half-time Guinness competition, they offered a selection of (supposed) money-can't-buy prizes.

I can remember one being a limo ride for eight to a league match of the winner's choice and then match day hospitality, and I think a signed shirt was another on offer.

Now, they only ever seem to offer a year's supply of the black stuff. I can't help thinking the prizes have gone downhill somewhat. It surely wouldn't be too much trouble to come up with a slightly more exciting prize now and again, would it?
It's only cheating if you get caught.
Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Post by Dave Angel »

I agree, the weekly charade of the "stand-up-sit-down" game is a joke.

It doesn't matter if you stay in your seat at HT as the winner is always chosen before kick-off.

Also, as you say, the quality of prizes has dropped considerably since it started. First it was "money can't buy" prizes & now it's 365 cans of Guinness.

The sooner Guinness grow tired of the promotion & drop it the better in my opinion!
Caerlyr Osprey
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Caerlyr Osprey »

Dave

If you win 365 cans of the black stuff and you don't want them, drop me a line and I'll be more than happy to take them off your hands.

Me & Mrs O have bought a new fridge/freezer and there's plenty of room in it.
Swansea Cricket & Football Club - The First British Club Side To Beat The All Blacks, Springboks & Wallabies.
The Ospreys The First Welsh Region To Beat A Touring Side
Leicester Football Club The First Back To Back Winners of The European Cup
Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Post by Dave Angel »

If I won them I'd happily keep them but given the odds are around 1 in 17000 at best (they are orse than this as I am on the terrace & the terrace winners are never "random").

1/17000 for the chance of winning a few hundred quid's worth of canned beer? Not what I'd call the "ultimate" prize by any means!
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

Dave Angel wrote:If I won them I'd happily keep them but given the odds are around 1 in 17000 at best (they are orse than this as I am on the terrace & the terrace winners are never "random").

1/17000 for the chance of winning a few hundred quid's worth of canned beer? Not what I'd call the "ultimate" prize by any means!
Only over 18s win so you're odds are better than that. And if you're on the terrace you have to be easily identifiable, so wear something outlandish rather than a Tigers shirt to increase those odds even more
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

As some of you know I have connections with Diageo who own Guinness. If it is your wish I will ask them to withdraw the competition. Will save them money!!!!
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I was chatting to a club official in the smokers sin bin the other week who confirmed it is chosen in advance and they have to be really careful not to award it to a child. He did claim that it didn't make any odds if you were on the terrace as they can select on position somehow. However, I have yet to see it awarded to anyone on the terrace who doesn't stand out from the crowd!

I avoid the charade like the plague, it is single handedly responsible for me not giving up smoking at half time!
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Do you know Bill, I really can't see why people are moaning. I get the impression that some people would rather there be no prize, as opposed to someone winning something every other week.

I really don't care if its a 'charade' or 'joke' ..... Master Waffle still lives in hope that he will win it one day!
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

dailywaffle wrote:

Master Waffle still lives in hope that he will win it one day!
Hate to disappoint him but if he's under 18 he doesn't stand a chance due to the prize on offer!
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

dailywaffle wrote:Do you know Bill, I really can't see why people are moaning. I get the impression that some people would rather there be no prize, as opposed to someone winning something every other week.

I really don't care if its a 'charade' or 'joke' ..... Master Waffle still lives in hope that he will win it one day!
Sad innit daily! I remember my youngest son when about 11 leaping high into the air at Bedford (super ground Goldington Road) to capture a tin of lager for me - (I detest gnats p*ss)!!

Some people just like to moan!!!
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Iain wrote:
dailywaffle wrote:
Master Waffle still lives in hope that he will win it one day!
Hate to disappoint him but if he's under 18 he doesn't stand a chance due to the prize on offer!
If you don't tell him, I won't.
Easty

Post by Easty »

Given the amount of abuse that Matt Cornwall & Richard Blaze got when distributing the Matt Hampson stress balls & keyrings into only one corner of the ground, I would suggest that the majority of peeps would be only to glad to win a 4 pack, let a lone 365 (do you get 366 this year?)

Having said that, given dear old Alistair's performance today, the value of this prize has significantly risen. Give the politicians time & this could become a 'Money-can't-buy' prize
To The Board ~ you have one season to prove you've got this decision right. More than you gave Marcelo
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Bill, can you get your connections to scrap the competition and provide some lovely fit cheerleaders instead.

Thanks. :smt023
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

...and can we have a pathetic song after a try is scored please.....

...(stands well back and curls up into a ball !)