Cipriani booted out of the England squad for Saturday's game

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mr_Ben
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Mr_Ben »

I have no problem with Cipriani being dropped - rules are rules and if you break them you have to suffer the consequences.

I just don't understand how on earth Bashton can think that Ballsup is up to the job at FB. I'm pretty confident i could name 15 English qualified players who could do a better job of FB than him.
snoopster

Post by snoopster »

From elsewhere it's said that the curfew was an unwritten rule agreed with the players (I think that goes back to Woodward's time to encourage the team to respect each other?) - he broke that rule so he had to be punished.

And given the excuse I saw - he went out to drop off tickets too his friends and by the sound of it stayed out, it sounds to me like he needs to think hard on what is important. Hanging out with friends when they encourage him, or having a good career.
scrambo
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by scrambo »

hold on it says they were given the day off... so he had all day to give the tickets to his mate and decides to give them to him at oooh midnight.ish?

He didnt touch a drink... well hate to think what he looks like after he's had a few then! me thinks someone lying there.

a curfew is a curfew plus i think the rfu are using him as an example. He's a young player who is seen as a role model to fans and kids so i can see why the rfu did what they did. hubby is over the moon as it means they have cip for wasps now.....hmmmmmm another theory????

Nah he needs to learn that rules are rules and you pay the price if you dont listen. a career or mates who egg you on... but what does it take for ashton to not keep balshaw!!!
Better to live one year as a tiger, than a hundred as a sheep.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Wager Wasps do not play him! Randrew will lean!!
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
snoopster

Post by snoopster »

To be fair to Ashton, given the timing I can understand why Balshaw is in - minimum change by moving him up from the bench. Of course the fact that Balshaw was on the bench is something I do still have a lot of issues with.

Not sure about his putting Hodgeson on the bench either - a very good player, in my opinion, but I'm not sure it leaves england with the most balanced cover possible.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

But it is only the Scots we are playing!!
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Many people have now backed up Cipriani's story, he dropped off a couple of tickets on his way home. He didn't have a drink (he rarely drinks). It was his day off I really can't see why Ashton felt the need to drop him, a quite word would seem a more appropriate response.

The interviews with Edwards and Dawson on the BBC website probably reflect the views of most players, Ashton's action is way over the top. It gives the impression of a drowning man lashing out.
SkippyTiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by SkippyTiger »

I think the way he'll be greeted by the England squad when they learn who is wearing the 15 shirt again should be punishment enough.....
Starburst
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Starburst »

Big Tigger wrote:Do we actually know that there was a curfew to break? far as i've heard it was a night they were allwed home as the training is done?
if there was then yeah it's stupid if not what exactly has he done? I know i'd find sleeping pretty hard if i was in his position.
Yeah its pretty hard sleeping in a nightclub.

Cips is lucky.

If he had played when SCW was still in charge when there were more genuine alternatives at 10, 12 and 15 then he may have had a longer break than the one Bashton will impose.

SCW had a history of making examples of players especially when there was another player around equal ability. I don't inlude Balshaw in that group but if Cips wants to get JW's shirt or be a better option than Lewsey then this behaviour would have been a huge setback under SCW.
hardrucker
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by hardrucker »

does that mean there's a ticket going spare????? if he gave his mate a ticket so he could watch him play, will whoever he gave the ticket to, still want to go?
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

The interviews with Edwards and Dawson on the BBC website probably reflect the views of most players, Ashton's action is way over the top. It gives the impression of a drowning man lashing out.
But they're both Wasps-leaning, so they'd be bound to support him anyway.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
The Countess of Welford
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by The Countess of Welford »

Well I'm not and I agree entirely with both of them.
cooke-1
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by cooke-1 »

feel passionately bout this and ashton should be sacked! :smt013 :smt013 :smt013 :smt013 :smt013 :smt013 :smt013 :smt013 :smt013 :smt013 :smt013
danny done nothing WRONG AND AS GABBY LOGAN TELLS US HE SHOULD KEEP THE ROUTINE
HOW IS HE MEANT TO FOLLOW JONNY AS HE IS BORING!
k1
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by k1 »

If there was a curfew, and Cipriani broke it, then absolutely right that he was dropped. You can't impose rules and then not follow them up.

If no curfew was dictated to the players, a slap on the wrist would suffice. Silly boy.

Personally I think Brown is a better full-back, and Lewsey for that matter. But to bring Balshaw back in would be hilarious if it didn't underline the tragic quality of coaching and management the England setup has.
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

Personally, I think Brian Ashton has handled this very badly. Maybe there was a curfew, we don't know. However, firstly he should have waited until given the full story by Danny Cipriani or someone who knew him. He also has acted very draconianly by dropping Cipriani when he hasn't caused any misdemeanour. Ashton has let himself be persuaded by the papers! :smt017

I tend to agree with Shaun Edwards, and Ian McGeechan. The punishement by Ashton has been heavy handed and out of proportion. It shows that he is a bad man manager.

I also think descriptions on here of Cipriani as a burke etc are out of all proportion. Naive he may be as with the transvestite revelation but it doesn't warrant some of abuse on here.

Once again, Ashton has turned to his favoured boy Balshaw. The man is beyond belief. If any should be demeanoured it should be Ashton. If I was Lewsey I would really say now what I thought about him. Perhaps Catt and Dayglo had some points when they wrote about Ashton in their books.

Wasps will be laughing and I am sure Cipriani will now play a blinder against Quins and may help them win!! :smt010