Post by Gate »

Marcelo's team is my team.

Keep s*** like da Bill sez innit.
Tyzot
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tyzot »

Ollie Smith on the wing!
Whilst I am sure the boss has a plan - I don't get it. Any thoughts people?
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Tyzot wrote:Ollie Smith on the wing!
Whilst I am sure the boss has a plan - I don't get it. Any thoughts people?
Probably the only selection that bothers me. I haven't seen Ollie play wing for what seems like years, and his build and speed are (IMO) different to what they were when he last played there.

I guess we'll find out what the plan is on Saturday.
soggytiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by soggytiger »

Like the team

Ollie at wing only until Mauger runs out of steam - not played for 6 weeks so will be going well to clear 50 mins. Options then are Ollie/Seru to centre, Johne/Seru to wing. Unless Johne is already on to cover full back in case Vesty has to replace Goode at flyhalf. Forward pack replacements to add more bulk and power against a (hopefully)failing Toulouse pack.

Overall I think its the best team we could have put out at the moment. Go Tigers!
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Clearly Marcelo has come in and seen every player as a blank piece of paper and sees qualities that others before him may not have done. Clearly in training he has seen a winger in Ollie capable of doing a job, I think you have to respect his judgement. I imagine he will be trying to keep it tight against Toulouse's backs and he feels Ollie can help us play with those tactics.
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Iain, of course Loffredo will have very well thought reasons for his selection of Ollie at wing. And this afternoon may well vindicate his choice, and make my concerns look silly.

Its just that Ollie is no longer a speedster, and along with Vesty (a great footballer but no Varndell) we look a bit tapped for pace at the back. And I'm not sure that Ollie necessarily compensates by bringing a brutal 'A game' in the way that an on-form Tuilagi can, nor does he have the kicking skills of Johnne Murphy.

Still, as you quite rightly say, I haven't seen him in training. So maybe I'm talking a load of old tosh. :smt002
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

dw, I'm not anywhere near Leicester as I type this, but if the weather up there is anything like it is here, then the pace of our back 3 won't be an issue !!...it is horrible, wind and driving rain !!
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

I share your concern too about Ollie on the wing. Although it may be that the options were very limited to Marcelo on that.

Sam will have to be at his best at 15. In fact the whole team will need to be, as the Toulouse team looks vey good.

Lewis out again is a blow. He does get his fair share of injuries. Pity about Geordan being out, too.

Hope the Tigers Roar today. We need it!!
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

westwinds31 wrote:dw, I'm not anywhere near Leicester as I type this, but if the weather up there is anything like it is here, then the pace of our back 3 won't be an issue !!...it is horrible, wind and driving rain !!
NW Leics is currently dull, damp, light rain but not especially windy. Maybe it will get worse!
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

simon, westwinds, anyone else ..... Captains' Bar today?
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

I can't promise but at least I know where you will be...I'll probably be driving around looking for a parking spot !!
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

In South Wigston, about 3 miles from the ground, it is wet, grey and miserable. Perhaps there is something to be said for a seating ticket after all my years of defending the terrace to the hilt!
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

I will be there too, from 2.00. :smt023 :smt023

I'm still sporting a moustache and beard. Although, the way its going, I might look a bit like Father Xmas by late December!! :smt001 :smt001

Look forward to seeing you folks! :smt001 :smt001