Well done Andy Robinson

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tyzot
Silver Member
Silver Member

Well done Andy Robinson

Post by Tyzot »

First off let me say that I'm not a great fan of his acheivements with England. But you have to say that despite the hard time that he's had south of the border in the press and the fact that we had just thumped them in the HC, he was a true gent after the game. Signing autographs and posing for photos with the youngsters saying- "didn't Tigers play well" and "I bet you enjoyed it" etc.

So on this occasion - Well done Andy Robinson.

You have gone up massively in my eyes.
Nik
Super User
Super User

Post by Nik »

then he goes on the news and says that Tigers are bullies and we bullied the ref who didn't help their cause........ nar Sobinson is an idiot and as far as i'm concerned he can stay north of the boarder.

Read this and then call him a gent!

http://tinyurl.com/2mgz83
Life was like a box of chocolates - until I ate them! :smt061
Tyzot
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tyzot »

Nik - Oh I give in - you try and say something nice about the guy and then he says something like that!

I guess its a case of one face in a direct situation and another to the press.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

I thought that the ref did quite well.

Missed some crossings and comings in from the side.

But all in all nothing for AR to complain about. The yellow cards and PT were pretty clearly cynical deliberate offences to precent a try being scored.
Trout 63
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trout 63 »

Robbo provided one of the best moments of entertainment as he left the Crumbie Stand near the end. He felt the need to launch a verbal attack towards the Crumbie Terrace - something about us not complaining about the ref today !!!
Cockers was :smt044 himself as he was following AR down the stairs towards the dressing rooms :smt003

There was a suggestion that 39 - NIL couldn't be the ref's fault entirely :smt002
Tyzot
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tyzot »

Actually - if you had a ref link, it was clear that he warned them several times before finally producing the card. So I really can't see how they could complain.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Tyzot wrote:Nik - Oh I give in - you try and say something nice about the guy and then he says something like that!

I guess its a case of one face in a direct situation and another to the press.
As Nik didn't say, a two faced <expletive deleted> Beats censored anyday!!!
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Nigel Botherways view of it!!!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... 891057.ece

Loved the Headline!!!
britishlions1

Post by britishlions1 »

have to say. spoke to the bloke on the way in to the ground when his team arrived. very friendly and happy to talk to fans.
Well done robbo
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

That is good to hear.

I guess all to often these guys have a very different press image to that which they have in more personal situations. And speak very differently too.

Like Larry - who I understand is great at a personal level.

Although maybe Brian Ashton does not think so. And maybe M. Poite is not impressed with Robbos pulic statements either.

I have to say that I much prefer puplic pronouncement of the type "On the day the best team won"; "They out thought us" etc - rather than "They bullied the ref" or "Our coach was cr*p".
BenWL
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by BenWL »

Bill W wrote:Nigel Botherways view of it!!!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... 891057.ece

Loved the Headline!!!
Bit perdantic I know but he refers to Corry as the big No.8. I thought he was playing No.6 yesterday...!
I'm the one in the Tigers shirt on the 22. You can't miss me...!
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

pbanks792 wrote:Robinson's comments to the Beeb:

Edinburgh coach Andy Robinson:

"We were bullied the whole game and I thought the referee got bullied as well.

"I didn't think we were allowed to scrummage the way we did last week when we put Toulouse under pressure.

"Jacobson had a storming game last week and was sin-binned today. It's all about interpretation.

"We knew the backlash was coming and we couldn't withstand it well enough in the first 20 minutes. You have to start well here.

"We knew what was coming and fair play to Leicester because there was instant pressure for us every time we had the ball."

Don't see much wrong with that as a quote after a match where your team has just been utterly pummelled and a couple of yellows handed out. On the Sky Sports link, it is the same quote, only it starts with an acknowledgement that "We were physically dominated". Which they were.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

I know I am old. And old fashioned to boot. But I do not think Rugby Union Coaches should make public statements like "and I thought the referee got bullied as well." "They played the ref better than we did" is just about acceptable.
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

Losing opposition coaches have left Welford Road complaining about the ref and muttering darkly about crowd influence etc. for many a long year. This all just smacks of simply not liking Andy Robinson and taking any opportunity to have a pop at him. Why him in particular? He was a duff head coach for England, but as far as I can tell a blameless enough individual otherwise.

Mind you, there are those who would call me out on my attitude to that shiny-domed demon-consorting gobmerchant and eater of cute fluffy kittens whose name I cannot bring myself to utter. :smt002