Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

HEC Final Venue

Post by dailywaffle »

It will be Cardiff next year:

http://tinyurl.com/392mb3

So, 'no' to France or Italy (although I do like the Millennium Stadium).
Dave J
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Dave J »

You have to wonder if the recent dispute with the french and english clubs has anything to do with this decision. After all this will be the third final played in Cardiff since it was last held in France in 2001, I think we all remember what a great day that was, and anyone who saw the french final last weekend will know that the Parisiens would put on a good show. I think we need to go to some sort of rota system to ensure fairness.
HongKongTiger

Post by HongKongTiger »

Strange how the ERC has not announced it :shock:

http://www.ercrugby.com/eng/12_7099.php

All they're saying is the HC draw will take place at the Millenium Stadium next Wednesday 20th :?:
The South Stand Rocks !
:smt038
FlyingTiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by FlyingTiger »

Due to the beer advertising rules in France i.e Brains beer has to be changed to Brawn on the Welsh shirts at the 6N's. It is no real suprise that the MS would get it. I would have thought the Jocks might have got it due to the decline in clubs and the need to promote the game there? Still, I'm happy the Cardiff, I'll book the hotel and get the tickets and wait for another cracking HC weekend to arrive
The severity of the itch is inversely proportional to the reach
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

anyone know what time the draw is being made? couldn't see that on the erc site but that may be down to me.
ALECW

Post by ALECW »

Can"t rearly argue with the choice of venue.I have said on several occasions what a fab ground and how well organised Cardiff is for the big occasions. :oD :oD :oD :oD :oD :oD
USED TO BE WESTMIDS ALEC
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Alec, I trust you have never attempted to get a train home after the game from Cardiff then??
Rozza
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Rozza »

Probably they didn't think the French should have the final and the World Cup in the same season.
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

I'm sure you'll see a few new venues in the next few years with Paris waiting for another go, the new Lansdowne road, re-development of the Stadio Flaminio and dare i say it the new Wembley stadium!
Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Post by Dave Angel »

Stadio Flaminio only has a 25,000 capacity and is therefore far too small to host the HC Final. Even with the redevelopment I don't think it is increasing sufficiently to cope with the demand for tickets is it?

Wembley will also be tied up with other events over the HC Final weekend (either FA Vase, Trophy or Cup or playoff finals as it is primarily a football stadium don't forget!)
champanzie
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by champanzie »

i do believe that italy have not yet hosted a final. how good would the final be at croke park. awsome
Come on you tigers!
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

champanzie wrote:i do believe that italy have not yet hosted a final. how good would the final be at croke park. awsome
I thought Croke Park was in Ireland.
burly bill mclaren
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by burly bill mclaren »

I tried to enquire why not croke park which is a fabulous place and the vague answers seem to surround gaelic football being played so the venue is often unavailable especially in may

lansdowne is out
twickers had this year
paris is too congested due to world cup the season ends later
edinburgh sadly failed to sell out
stade flaminio way too small
so we'll have to put up with cardiff 2008
by then we'll see a few fabulous additions to cerdiff skyline , new hotel by railway, test cricket stadium doubling for hospitality off season, st davids 2 shopping centre, international sports village down the bay will be nearer completion etc

try a long weekend
H E RICHARDS
ALECW

Post by ALECW »

Ian moderater, you are correct, i always stay the night before and the night after the match at the Holiday Inn, Cardiff North :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
USED TO BE WESTMIDS ALEC
Angelo
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Angelo »

I would like to see a HC final in Italy, very very much, bet i've got some bad news:
First: the Major of Rome, who triumphally announced at the end of last 6N the remake of Stadio Flaminio (to avoid Bologna offer to host Italy home matches in Stadio Dall'Ara), now literally eaten his own words, saying that works on Stadio Flaminio ARE NOT a priority so... yes, guessed. Stadio Flaminio remains so, for now. I'm very angry.
But, even if STadio Flaminio will be remade one day (i fear Italy has to win a 6N first at this point i must buy a lot more of patience). it could host 40.000 spectators at maximum.
IMO Stadio Meazza in Milan would be perfect, better tham Stadio Olimpico in Rome but, you know, here football rules...one more reason to dislike it, for me.