Manics on Tour

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Manics on Tour

Post by simon redshaw »

Is anyone on here a fan of the Manic Street Preachers?

They have a 22 date tour in May and June. First date is the Corn Exchange, Cambridge, 8th May. They will be playing at the Carling Academy,15th May, Newcastle, Civic, Wolverhampton on 21st May, Rock City, Nottingham, 24th May, Manchester Apollo,27th May, Astoria, London, 30th May, Shepherd's Bush Empire, London, 31st May, DeMontfort Hall, Leicester, 8th June.

Full details: http://www.seetickets.com/see/index.html

I am a fan of the Manics and might get to one of those concerts.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Fantastic band. Thanks for tip.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

Seen them live a couple of times - superb!

On one occasion, Nicky Wire mucked up one of the songs and the others spent the rest of the gig laughing themselves silly at his expense.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Only just spotted this thread now while looking for something else. I will be there at De Montfort Hall, it will be the fifth time I have seen them. My favourite band right through my angry teen years!
redtiger
Super User
Super User

Post by redtiger »

tried to see them once, in manchester, before i could drive. i got on my 125cc triumph but never made it cause i ran out of petrol on the motorway...you can see where i'm going with this gag can't you?

anyways think they're playing v so i'll get to see them, i only really like "kevin carter" and "everything must go" tho
Forgot the resty - vesty is the besty!
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Red, shame about your motorcycle emptiness that stopped you getting there. You should have got a train, it would have been a lot faster.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

"Little Baby Nothing" ...probably one of the greatest songs of all time. Saw them at Birmingham NEC in 1998...supported by Catatonia - December and JD Bradfield did an acoustic set including Wham's "Last Christmas"...absolutely amazing !
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

So who was at De Montfort Hall on Friday then? I was! Got right to the barrier. James (A Cardiff Blues fan) was giving a lot of Tigers related banter to the crowd.

I met the band afterwards outside the stage door where James told me how much he can't stand Julian White and George Chuter, and that getting an Argentine coach meant more 'up the jumper' rugby. But did allude to the fact his mickey taking was out of respect for a great team. Nicky, by the way, says he has money on South Africa to win the World Cup. Great guys, was happy to meet them!

The set was tremendous as well, a lot of old stuff. Little Baby Nothing, Faster, Motown Junk, Sleepflower and Stay Beautiful were the highlights for me.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Iain..good to get a report from the Manics gig...my mate went to Wolverhampton and said it was fantastic, especially the early stuff and he said they did a blinding version of "La Tristessa..". Interesting that you mention the highlights of the live set...all from or prior to "The Holy Bible"...how did the new stuff go down, cause I'm not keen on it to be honest. I still judge the band on The Holy Bible, which is in my all-time top 5 albums....especially "Faster".
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

To be honest the new stuff went down pretty well. They only played Autumnsong, Rendition, Second Great Depression, You're Love Alone Is Not Enough and I'm Just a Patsy but they were pretty well received (though I was on the barrier with the die hards!) I think the new album is their best album for a while, but the older stuff was always going to be the crowd pleasers.

They were going to play Send Away the Tigers but James had guitar problems. He chose to blame Austin Healey!