Spreadbury changes his mind

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Phil B
Super User
Super User

Spreadbury changes his mind

Post by Phil B »

Tony Spreadbury awarded a try today for Wasps, only for the verdict to be sent upstairs to the TMO. I am not happy with this - surely the TMO is for decisions the ref can't make, but if the Ref decides it is a try, using his judgement, surely it should not go the the TMO?
Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Post by Dave Angel »

I haven't seen the incident so can't comment on it specifically, but are you sure he signalled a try before going upstairs?

Or did he signal for the timekeeper to stop the clock? The signals can look similar.

As I say, I haven't seen the incident in question, so I am just guessing here.
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

nope - not having a go - becus you havnt seen it - but he blew the whistle, straight arm in the air "try given" - however - he was told by the touch judge to TMO it.
keef
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by keef »

i was only 1/2 watching it,but yes he did sort of give it then went to the TMO.cant see the problem with that myself,it was all in the space of seconds so...
The Future's Bright,The Future's Stripey!
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

My reasoning is that sometines the Referee is in a better position than any Camera - cameras are relatively fixed - and as we know can't always tell. If a Referee reacts instantly, as he appeared to do yesterday, then it's because his judgement is telling him something, and if he can't trust his own judgement, well should he be on the pitch?

As for your point Dave, I agree about the arm raising,and the time off signal, but it looked very much like a try signal.But who knows...
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

Couple of points:

Spreaders did blow up, with his arm in the air to signal a try, but was then instructed by the touch judge, who was on the better side of the ruck to see, to refer the decision upstairs. But apart from upsetting the Wasps fans (Ha!), the time was already off, nothing was lost from the referral and (in my opinion)the right verdict was reached; it wasn't a try, he knocked on over the line.

Secondly, it may be worth taking a leaf of of Rugby Leagues book. When a player goes over for a try, the referee will run to the spot of the grounding, look over to both his touch judges, and if all three are happy there are no problems, the points at the ball and blows his whistle. A simple act like that would stop the Spreadbury incident occurring again.
John
---
He is able to lift up a heavy object when that heavy object says "lift me now".
fallingwithstyle

Post by fallingwithstyle »

Takes a big man to admit he may have got it wrong. Spreaders comes in for flak, but the game would be poorer for him not being there. Oh, and he's not Chris White, that's got to be in his favour.