Same league as Dawson

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Starburst wrote:I couldn't believe it on Saturday when someone claimed that Harry was now better than Gareth Edwards.

I know harry has a good pass, can tackle and is a fantastic linebreaker but for me Edwards just shades it. Of course Edwards is pushing 60 now.
:lol:

The 'claim' was actually by some chap called Shaun Edwards. Yes, him; got the welsh boys on Gwlad very hot under the collar. What Shaun E actually said was ....

There is something of Edwards in Ellis when he takes contact and I'm not the first to say it. This time last year the great man was singing the Leicester scrum-half's praises after some exciting club performances. A year earlier it was the same when Ellis was first selected. He'd caught the eye playing in Europe, and it's the same now. Now he has to translate that club form to the international stage because after a slow start to the season, caused by injury, he is back to something close to his best.

Two weeks ago, when Leicester went to Limerick and became the first team to win there in the Heineken Cup, Ellis played Ireland's Peter Stringer off the park and, that day, probably reclaimed the England shirt from Shaun Perry and Peter Richards. If he takes care of it and looks after himself, he could be England's No9 through the World Cup and way beyond that. He's 24 and nowhere near his prime. I reckon I wasn't anywhere near my best until I was at least 25. Until then I'd just been learning. Gregan will be 34 when he plays in the World Cup and Kelleher 30.

Since Matt Dawson retired none of the scrum-halves in England's queue has put his hand up for the most influential position on the field ..... simply because the scrum-half touches the ball more than anyone else. Ellis has the speed, the strength, the aggression and loads of years ahead of him.

The above was said before the Scotland match.
Nabuk
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Nabuk »

WilfMan wrote:no question harry is in the same league as Matt Dawson if not the league above. He is quicker than Dawson ever was more aggresive and has a hunger for the ball that daws never had

The one thing he needs is experience
When H.E starts making breaks from the blindside , for the LIONS, against a truly International standard XV then we can compare him with MD until then just remember MD for the Lions v SA.....now that was a break :)
Last edited by Nabuk on Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
I RESOLVE TO BE NICER THIS YEAR !
Tiger Mike
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Tiger Mike »

Have to agree, that break with the sublime dummy against an awesome SA team, seemed to spark the whole of the tour from there on in and also instill a sense of belief that they could do it.
WilfMan
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by WilfMan »

i agree it was against a week side but that was only his 8th cap or something like that

Harry is only at the begining of his england Carer and if he continues to play in that way then he will have no problem getting into the engalnd team every match
-
"Forwards decide who win the game, Backs decide by how much"
-